The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: Rigil's New Endeavour thread...

Postby hth2k » Wed May 23, 2007 5:42 am

I think your take on Vulcans and indeed some few romulans are quite perceptive. I see both as quite similar. Though the Romulan culture will be their downfall. They have both advantages and liabilities.

If one could take the positive aspects of Romulans and Vulcans and sublimate the negatives the result would be formidible. My guess is a human-Vulcan hybrid would be just such an entity.

I would love to see the outline. Perhaps I can learn something. It is obvious I am no writer but remain curious to the process.

I would also be interested in hearing your thoughts regarding that correspondence as a few other ideas have been struggling to surface through the mud.

The idea of information overload in combat was first made apparent to me in an interview with General Robin Olds (Viet Nam fighter pilot). He was describing all the visual and audio alerts in an F-4 Phantoom cockpit and his RIO also vying for his attention while he was attempting to fly the jet, navigate, avoid SAMs and AAA, and attempting to hit the target and make sure some MiG didn't get a shot at them, and not fly into the ground or any other solid object. Apparently some clouds have rocks or aluminum and steel in them.

My concepts of combat come from experiences of many friends and family as well as much reading .

I freely admit to having never served and have only an idea from other sources. Some I went to high school with, worked with some for many years. One friend (Marine) carried an M-60 in Viet Nam, another was a Heuy door gunner, another (Marine) carried a Remmington 870, another (Army) was part of a 155 Howitzer crew, etc. etc.

As such I do not presume to know the reality, only a rough idea perhaps of some aspects.

HtH

krn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby krn » Wed May 23, 2007 11:49 am

I wish I had some sort of constructive comment to make - alas, I don't. Your stories just kick ass. I'm really happy your muse came back from her spa vacation in Oman.

I've got my 'Burden of Command' Captain Tucker action figure all ready for the next scene.
--
I got hugged

nikitee
Ensign
Ensign

Postby nikitee » Wed May 23, 2007 12:43 pm

Wow! Lotsa new chapters, all at once! Is it my birthday? Great stuff as always, Rigil!

Please tell me that Hsaio was put where he was because his commander suspected what would happen, and knew the kid was up for command under fire! He needs a medal! Smile

(Skips off to look up "goat locker"...)

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed May 23, 2007 2:02 pm

holy.... poopoo....
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed May 23, 2007 3:35 pm

hth2k wrote:Though the Romulan culture will be their downfall. They have both advantages and liabilities.

An interesting assessment. For the most part, I can agree. They're like the Sith in Star Wars: their way of life is ultimately self-destructive unless they can figure out a balance. I tend to think that D'deridex as I wrote him learned the wrong lesson, but we'll see. Wink

If one could take the positive aspects of Romulans and Vulcans and sublimate the negatives the result would be formidible. My guess is a human-Vulcan hybrid would be just such an entity.

Case in point: Spock.

krn wrote:I wish I had some sort of constructive comment to make - alas, I don't. Your stories just kick ass. I'm really happy your muse came back from her spa vacation in Oman.

I think she was Over There killing terrorists. Oman was just where she slept for a while. She's one bloodthirsty wench, eh?

I've got my 'Burden of Command' Captain Tucker action figure all ready for the next scene.

Heh.

nikitee wrote:Wow! Lotsa new chapters, all at once! Is it my birthday? Great stuff as always, Rigil!

Hey! Haven't seen you around in an age!

Please tell me that Hsaio was put where he was because his commander suspected what would happen

Afraid not. The guy just didn't like Dan so he parked him in the AuxCmd expecting him (Dan) to do nothing. It was intended to be a crap detail, which we've all seen in our various occupations (unless you're independently wealthy or something.)

(Skips off to look up "goat locker"...)

I found a nifty website that has loads of deckape slang and jargon HERE. I'm also happy to note that I have a couple of US Navy web contacts who are fans...

blackn'blue wrote:holy.... poopoo....

Is that good? Cool
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

nikitee
Ensign
Ensign

Postby nikitee » Wed May 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Please tell me that Hsaio was put where he was because his commander suspected what would happen

Afraid not. The guy just didn't like Dan so he parked him in the AuxCmd expecting him (Dan) to do nothing. It was intended to be a crap detail, which we've all seen in our various occupations (unless you're independently wealthy or something.)

Then I really hope we see Hsiao again, on Endeavour, if he doesn't get blown up or irradiated. I really admire the character's epiphany: discovering you're actually very good at something very hard, and that you have the experience and guts to do what needs to be done. Definitely a calling, answered. He'd be an interesting foil for Hayes, who has all that "unnatural ability" but hasn't gotten his call to hone his focus.

Anyway, glad to be back... I've gone back to get a second Masters and ACA cert... much harder to do when you're old & have 2 kids & a full-time job than when you're young & single. Smile I'm going the Jocasta Nu route. On break until mid-June.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed May 23, 2007 5:46 pm

A second Masters? Shock Gah. I'm still working on getting my fraking Associates! Sad
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

nikitee
Ensign
Ensign

Postby nikitee » Wed May 23, 2007 8:32 pm

Yes, Rigil, but you know the meaning of "goat locker" -- I had to look it up! Very Happy

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Wed May 23, 2007 8:36 pm

Rigil ,when Acheron is finished will you post it here ?
I've decided to read stories when they are complete ,reading them in bits and pieces feels weird . Smile

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed May 23, 2007 10:52 pm

Yep. I'm toying with sending the teaser & act 1 even though Chris hasn't finished the cover yet...

nikitee wrote:Yes, Rigil, but you know the meaning of "goat locker" -- I had to look it up! Very Happy

Actually, I did too. I was skimming that site for some bit of random jargon that worked in the context I wanted to use it. I wanted to use "pollywog", but couldn't really figure out how to do so.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu May 24, 2007 2:20 am

I like how Hsaio wasn't even supposed to be on that ship, but he's commanding and saving it. More good work showing how brutal war is, and how commanders have to make hard choices.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu May 24, 2007 2:54 am

Plus, it's further indication that Dan is a "man-whore". Twisted Evil

Sig by Chrisis1033.

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Thu May 24, 2007 5:59 am

I love that avitar KRN is sporting.

Did anyone ever write the WWW story with Polly west and Artemus Tucker?

HtH

krn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby krn » Thu May 24, 2007 1:56 pm

Thanks HtH - I love the way Ivymae draws T'Pol, and her Trip is adorable. I understand that Quills came up with the WWW story idea - but I haven't seen it written. Could be really funny.

Now I would like to return you to your regualrly scheduled thread.

OK, work has been slow and I keep coming up with Endeavour action figure ideas (yes, yes - I need help - I know Rolling Eyes ):

'Mating Bond' Trip & T'Pol -- sold as a set. magnets in their heads literally attract them together

TriS Convention Exclusive! Captain Tucker in Triaxian Silk PJ's
--
I got hugged

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu May 24, 2007 3:31 pm

Heh.
  • Man Whore Hsiao. Comes with two glasses of wine.
  • LCDR Eisler in combat array. Special feature ... he smells like blood!
  • Super spy Soval, complete with hand disruptor.
  • Scarface Reed. Comes with a cane.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”