The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: T'Pol's Clothing

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 pm

Cover of "Under the Raptor's Wing" What I don't understand is why Trip is not on it. His character is prominent in the book. Why was a Tellerite even on the cover. Archer is front and center and He wasn't as prominent in the book as trip was.

So, why was Trip tucker left off the cover?
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:18 pm

So, why was Trip tucker left off the cover?

Probably no one wanted to go in and photoshop a picture of him as a Romulan...

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:16 pm

And if they had, it probably wouldn't have helped sell the book.

Bookcovers are a pain in the ass. You are truly lucky if you get an artist who understands your book AND can translate it into an attractive cover, an art director who gets it too, a marketing department that doesn't get in the way (they usually just want it to look just like whatever recent book did well), and an editor and publisher who will go to bat for you against all of the above if the cover sucks.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:19 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Then, by that thinking, why wasn't she wearing the gold piping on her catsuits in season 4? She was the XO then too, but very clearly wore Science piping.

You know, I had never noticed that at all until you said it. I remember thinking "what is that weird stripe of teal in her catsuit?" but I never connected it with the science piping. Doh.
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:24 pm

I don't know how many books I bought because attracted by the covers, books that I haven't been capable of reading.
Maybe it's because of that, that I took the habit to read the last pages, before I buy a book. :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:45 pm

And if they had, it probably wouldn't have helped sell the book.

Read them on a kindle or the like. It makes it seem like a padd, which makes them that much better.

Though, thinking back on it, it probably wouldn't taken more than an hour or two to make a decent try at photoshoping a decent Romulan!Trip pic. I mean, this is Human-to-Vulcan/Romulan cosmetic surgury we're talking about, not human-to-Tellarite or -Andorian.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:59 pm

But would it have helped sell the book?

Eh, maybe. Only Trekkies would bother to look at it in the first place, and they'd be intrigued. IF they realized who it was. Instant recognition is a big thing on a book cover. Someone is walking past on his way to the bathroom in Barnes and Noble... grab 'im, quick!
Image.Image

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:31 pm

On the impulse buy, the cover helps! I confess I read Under the Raptor's Wing on my kindle app - still have the tnt passages bookmarked for easy reference - but not helpful when wanting to look at her piping. There is an image of the cover you can access - but you have to go looking.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:36 pm

But would it have helped sell the book?

Nah, probably not. Though you've gotta wonder what they were thinking with some of the other book covers.

On the impulse buy, the cover helps!

Though, honestly, how many people who aren't already Trekkies and on the lookout for that sort of thing buy the relaunch novels?

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Taking this to the book thread. . . .

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:43 pm

Though, honestly, how many people who aren't already Trekkies and on the lookout for that sort of thing buy the relaunch novels?

Brought over from the clothing discussion thread. . .

The Enterprise relaunch books are not written for non trekkies - I can't imagine a non trekkie even understanding Under the Raptor's WIng - BUT, I do think there was plenty in the books designed to appeal to Trekkies who had given up on ENT or who had never watched - there were so many references to other series and characters - and a real attempt to explain various contradictions (and some non contradictions that the fans still groused about).

As for the cover, it would have been nice to see Trip on the cover - but I don't trust a publishing grunt to photoshop him into a Romulan - so it's probably all well and good that he wasn't there.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:08 pm

Why did he have to be photoshopped into a romulan? Couldn't they just have Trip so Conner too couuld be on the cover. I believe that most trekkie readers would make the connection that Trip was posing as a romulan without the cover depicting him that way. I missed Conner being on the cover. Course I am a big Trip fan. Hell if I had my way there would have just been Conner and Jolene on the cover as they are the main characters in the book.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:13 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Why did he have to be photoshopped into a romulan? Couldn't they just have Trip so Conner too couuld be on the cover. I believe that most trekkie readers would make the connection that Trip was posing as a romulan without the cover depicting him that way. I missed Conner being on the cover. Course I am a big Trip fan. Hell if I had my way there would have just been Conner and Jolene on the cover as they are the main characters in the book.

Me too.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:28 pm

...I never connected it with the science piping...

It's probably a sign I've been thinking too much on it while trying (unsuccessfully) to write, but I've thought of another explination: as weird as the blue piping looked on the red uniform, yellow piping would've probablly looked stranger, and, since they seem to have liked putting hr in that red/purple a lot, it was probably more of a real-life costuming choice than one based on whatever colour a XO would normally wear... like the IDIC in TOS, only less blatently commercial.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:00 pm

aadarshinah wrote:Though, thinking back on it, it probably wouldn't taken more than an hour or two to make a decent try at photoshoping a decent Romulan!Trip pic. I mean, this is Human-to-Vulcan/Romulan cosmetic surgury we're talking about, not human-to-Tellarite or -Andorian.

Isn't he sans bumpy forehead during that book?
aadarshinah wrote:one based on whatever colour a XO would normally wear...

I point you to the Command Division article on Memory Alpha where it states:
An officer who belongs to the command division sometimes wears the division color of another department which they specialized in if said command officer were to become a security chief, engineer, or command a science department.
Which tracks with my belief she would wear the blue of sciences, not the gold of command division. I'm pretty sure they've never established exactly what color an XO would wear since, apart from Spock & T'Pol, the XO position has always been a full-time one, not one that can be used in conjunction with Science Officer.

For that matter, T'Pol is listed in the Starfleet Science Division master list...

With how they were intentionally trying to have her be Spock's predecessor (science officer-slash-first officer), it's again only logical to presume she'd wear that kind of piping (although I do concede that it could simply be a "wow. Gold looks ugly on this catsuit" decision as well.)
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”