Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: I Just Rewatched ____ and Noticed ____

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:14 pm

evcake wrote:I'm not sure what thread to put this in, but:
Hess - have we ever actually seen her?

Nope, she was just mentioned once in an episode. The fanfic writers took it from there) probably because there was a need for a recurring second-in-command at Engineering).
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:

Nope, she was just mentioned once in an episode. The fanfic writers took it from there) probably because there was a need for a recurring second-in-command at Engineering).

And I think because the female engineer has always been a curiosity and attraction to Star Trek fans :D
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:27 pm

The female engineer...
... and it's better we say nothing about a certain female First Officer! :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:24 pm

Elessar wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:

And I think because the female engineer has always been a curiosity and attraction to Star Trek fans :D

Well, if she looks like Hilary Swank (as she does in Rigil's Endeavour chronicles), then I can understand... :drool:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:49 pm

yeah that was pretty cool. Just the face conjures too many bad sci fi memories of The Core though :-\
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Then you should watch Insomnia and The Reaping to get those memories out of your head. Especially The Reaping. :drool: You don't really get to see anything, but what you do see definitely looks great. She'd do in a pinch if Jolene wasn't around. ;) :P

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:21 pm

:lol: :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:25 am

Alejandro and I were just watching that Borg one tonight (not that I was paying attention -- I'm so bored with that one I just reorganized my recipe binder and looked up when Trip was talking) -- and afterwards I ran the first scene of First Flight mostly because I was sick of listening to that sound the DVD makes over and over on the menu. Have you ever noticed that Trip looks like he can barely keep himself from laughing throughout that scene? And afterwards he and T'Pol have this really long eye contact as he walks off?

Could this generate a plot bunny? Maybe a plot gerbil? A measly plot beetle?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:06 am

I had to search to find this old thread. Anyway, I was rewatching Demons and Terra Prime recently as I did my exercise and noticed:

1. They determine that Susan Khouri was probably working on the moon because of some chemical in her blood usually administered in places where people work in zero G. But there's absolutely no sign at any time of anyone there actually working in zero G. (And would it have killed them to cast someone who actually looked like a Khouri? And by the way, isn't there ANY security at that conference, that a strange woman can just walk in?)

2. Even after the mine ship takes off and lands on Mars, the corridor outside the baby's room is chiseled out of stone.

3. I got the wrong tall bald black guy in my story, which is because I relied on the script transcript at chakoteya.net. It's Daniel, not Josiah. Damn it. (What is it with Paxton and tall bald black guys with Biblical names, anyway?)

4. T'Pol sure makes quick work with a medical scanner. Either she has an encyclopedic knowledge of obscure human diseases and how to treat them, or there must be a handy encyclopedia of medicine installed on that thing too.

Probably all this has already been noted somewhere, but I just felt like whining about it. I still love these episodes.
Image.Image

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:49 am

Alelou wrote:And by the way, isn't there ANY security at that conference, that a strange woman can just walk in?
Well, these are the same people who sent one starship out to save the entire human race and then didn't bother to do anything else, like, say, some orbital weapons platforms.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:50 am

True!
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:58 pm

Regarding item #4...

It's been a couple of weeks since I've last seen the episode, but there wasn't any indication that T'Pol knew what, specifically, was wrong with the baby, right? Just that the readings weren't good and probably declining?

I just wondered this because they showed "Impulse" on Sci-Fi recently, and there was a scene in the Vulcan Sickbay where T'Pol is using a medical tricorder on one of her former shipmates. She complains to Archer that she's not a doctor, and Archer points out that she is his science officer and he needs to know he can count on her.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, while she's not a medical doctor and not qualified to make a specific diagnosis, maybe she has enough of a scientific background not only to work the thing, but also to recognize a few standard red flags that would let her know the patient is in trouble?

Just a thought.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:46 pm

I'm sure she'd recognize your basic things, like an elevated temperature or white blood cell count or poor oxygenation, or whatever. But to put all those together and come up with a diagnosis of an obscure syndrome that normally kills humans by their 20's? And to know the only treatment? That seems like a reach to me.

But whatever. There's such a thing as expediency in scriptwriting, and they needed something quick there. So T'Pol's medical knowledge and experience can occasionally expand or contract as necessary....
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 pm

Alelou wrote: There's such a thing as expediency in scriptwriting, and they needed something quick there. So T'Pol's medical knowledge and experience can occasionally expand or contract as necessary....

:lol: That's funny! :lol:

Still, if a fan writer needed to deal with that issue for whatever reason, it's easily dealt with by adding a little backstory--T'Pol was once acquainted with someone who had it, a recent article in a science journal, whatever.

But your post made me have a flashback to "Spock's Brain". :lol:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

michelle
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby michelle » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:35 pm

pookha wrote:but some things that manny got total credit for were in bragas head.
he had the thing worked out that eventually became the vulcan arc in the fourth season of giving a reason why the vulcans were the way they were but the network started complaining about too many vulcan stories and he had to drop some story ideas they had planned for early second season.

Too many Vulcan stories! TOO MANY. Vulcan. stories?

That doesn't even make SENSE!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”