Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: KTR's reflections from another DS9 newbie

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:02 am

I was annoyed that they forgot all about the reassociation taboo. I could buy that it wasn't too harsh so she could still work with them, especially with Ezri's unique circumstances. I can even buy the whole Bashir angle. But now Worf. That would be reassociation.

And yet, despite a lack of chemistry, I can almost see how in desperate times Ezri might want to try - even though they both know Ezri isn't Jadzia. I can't so much see Worf trying though. He's not usually that self-deluded.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:11 pm

Almost there now...

7-19 Strange Bedfellows

Strange Bedfellows was better. That's because we can now see some very interesting things happen within the Dominion "alliance". I've come to really like Damar, and who'd have guessed that. Casey Biggs does an outstanding job in the role. You can really feel that he's disgusted by being subservient to the Dominion and their new Breen allies. He is a patriot and at last has come to act on it when he helped Worf and Ezri escape. This will be very intriguing to watch.

Equally good is Jeffrey Combs' Weyoun. He can play an almost comic and charming part one minute only to turn frightfully menacing in the next. Outstanding performance. I really loved when his overconfidence allowed for Worf to snap his neck - not to mention Damar's hysterical laugh when that happened. Or when Damar said he'd look forward to meeting Weyoun-9, should this new clone displease the Founders.

I appreciate that the whole Worf and Ezri thing has been resolved and that they both realized that they tried to relive a past. I would've liked it better if they'd had this discussion before they jumped each others bones.

But I still have grave reservations to the whole business with Winn and Dukat and the pah-wraiths. It still doesn't seem real. It's almost as if they're two entirely new characters instead of the ones we've seen develop throughout the show. While it was nice to see how Winn struggled with this, and even asking for advice from Kira of all people, her conversion didn't ring true. It's like having the Pope all of a sudden turn into a worshipper of Satan, no matter how corrupt and power-hungry said Pope might be. I just can't buy it. It's too contrived and it happens too quickly.

And those things Winn said at the end was way over the top, like they were trying really hard to turn her into this purely evil character. It would've been much better - and more in character - had they treated Winn as Londo Mollari was on Babylon 5, like someone who through misguided ambition found herself on the wrong side, but that it was too late to do anything about it. Winn has now unfortunately been given the same treatment that Dukat got in Waltz.

Also, these developments on Bajor seem rather small when compared to the other major things happening in the quadrant. Will this pah-wraith storyline even have anything to do with the Dominion war, or are they just isolated events that happen to take place at the same time? What would the pah-wraiths think of the Founders, should they happen to take over Bajor and/or the wormhole?

For now Strange Bedfellows gets a grade of 7- from me.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

7-20 The Changing Face of Evil

And The Changing Face of Evil is even better, despite the unbelievable events taking place with Kai Winn. It's really a shame that this storyline brings the final chapters in the DS9 saga down. Otherwise it was an excellent episode.

Damar has now finally crossed over. This is a conversion that is entirely plausible and believable. He is now in open rebellion against the Dominion and the Federation alliance has a new member, and this at a critical juncture after the Breen managed to take back Chin'toka and destroy the Defiant in the process. It was poetic justice that Damar's Cardassians destroyed the Vorta cloning facility, to which Weyoun-8 lamented that he might be the last Weyoun.

One might think it strange that the Dominion didn't realize that they were alienating their Cardassian allies, but given what they are it's not so surprising that they have limited insights into how real humanoids think and react. I even found it fitting that Weyoun thought Damar's newfound confidence ("There's something different about you today, Damar. I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost as if you're half dressed... You don't have a bottle in your hand.") was due to Dominion successes, and not from having decided to finally stand up to them.

The Breen striking directly at Earth - and Starfleet Headquarters - was shocking indeed. But the view from San Francisco did look a bit fake, especially the ruins of the Golden Gate Bridge. A suspension bridge wouldn't look like that after the suspensions had been wrecked. But that's a minor quibble. The battle that destroyed the Defiant was really cool, and like Sisko I really felt for the demise of that tough little ship. That Breen energy-depleting weapon will be a major hindrance to "our" side. Finally we see how menacing the Breen are. But they do look a bit weird with those masks.

But, like I've said many times now, Kai Winn and her conversion bringd the story down. As if the revelation about the pah-wraith in the previous episode wasn't enough, she now knows that her trusted guide and lover is none other than Dukat, and that doesn't bother her for more than a few moments! Please, give me a break! This is just too much. It's now apparent that the writers intend to have some cataclysmic event happen on Bajor - probably when Winn and Dukat releases the pah-wraiths from the Fire-Caves - at the same time the final showdown with the Dominion happens. And for that plot purpose, the characters of Winn and Dukat must be made to abide. That's really too bad.

I'll give The Changing Face of Evil a grade of 8- on my 10-graded scale. Had the Winn storyline been different this would've been a full 10.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

7-21 When It Rains...

Of these past final episodes, When It Rains... feels most like a set-up episode. There actually isn't much of conclusion or even story here. It's just a row of different storylines that will continue in subsequent instalments. That's also been the case before, but there has usually been some sense of closure at the end. Here the episode just ends. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it makes it extra hard to judge.

The biggest revelation is the one that comes last, that Odo was deliberately infected by the disease that's now threatening to kill the Founders - in all likelihood by Section 31. And that was three whole years ago. So it wasn't the Vorta, or Damar or even Odo himself. It was the Section. This is very interesting, and I refer to my earlier discussion (in my review of Treachery, Faith, and the Great River) about genocide and if it actually can be justified against an enemy such as the Dominion.

Of course the twist is here that friendly Odo is being used. But I can't help and also see things from the perspective of that Starfleet Medical guy. Odo had been collaborating with the enemy and frankly I'm surprised that there weren't any serious repercussions from that. It was all swept under the rug. Realistically Odo should've been removed once the Dominion was driven out from DS9. That doesn't make it right, of course. Odo was even infected long before the outbreak of the war. That's also how Odo could infect the entire Great Link, even though most of them are in the Gamma Quadrant. He was there in the season four episode Broken Link.

The episode also had the irony of sending Kira to teach Damar's Cardassian rebels about how to be good resistance fighters. Obviously the Cardassians have trouble accepting both her and her tactics. The tension, while natural, was predictable. What I missed was any reaction from Garak towards Damar, considering that it was Damar that killed Ziyal. And Kira looked good in a Starfleet uniform.

Then there's Gowron taking direct command of the Klingon forces from general Martok, who he fears have become much too popular. I don't know, but I'm rather tired of the Klingons and while this makes perfect sense for Gowron and his cronies, I'm not looking forward to seeing this unfold. I'd bet good latinum that Martok in the end will be forced to oust Gowron, or be killed in the process.

Thankfully there wasn't much of the stupid Winn and Dukat plot this time. I suppose I should appreciate that curiosity got the better of Dukat and made him blind when he opened up the Secret Book of Evil, and that he was tossed out in the street by Winn, but I don't really care one way or the other anymore.

When It Rains... receives a grade of 7 from me.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:33 am

Linda wrote:That probably saved the collective Federation ass, them fighting like barbarians. But someone was using tactics, because weren't fleets of Federation ships wiped out? I might have read that in one of the novels rather than seen it on canon episodes. The battles on the screen seemed to be mostly about individual ships.

The Feds lost so many because compared to the Dominion, they were light-weights. The Klingons threw away warriors and ships because they had no real tactics, other than the old Soviet tactic of simply overwhelming an enemy position with superior numbers. Martok was the first Klingon to show any real tactical ability.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:32 am

Martok was the first Klingon besides Worf who transcended caricature.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:16 pm

Yeah, I liked Martok. But I thought it strange that the Federation should be loosing so badly by making such huge mistakes that whole fleets were wiped out. Didn't they have better military tactics than that? Explain "lightweights". :?

JadziaKatyrn, as to Ezri and the Trill rule of non reassociation, wasn't that just for spouses and immediate family? Sisko associated with Jadzia after having had a close relationship with Dax's former host. I was thinking that the Worf association was a no-no for Ezri, but not the one with Sisko or Bashir. Does anyone know the canon pronouncement on this or is it just vague?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:41 pm

"Lightweights" as in having a fleet focused almost entirely around science, and having been at peace for so long that they forgot how to fight. Compare that to the Jem Hadar, who are literally bred to fight, and man ships designed specifically to fight. Pretty much every other stellar power in the Star Trek universe has ships that are stronger in weapons and shielding. I mean, look at the Odyssey. She was a Galaxy-class starship - the most powerful type of ship the Federation had at that point, and she got her ass handed to her on a platter by three ships a fraction of her size.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:38 pm

Two more...

7-22 Tacking Into the Wind

Now this is what the final episodes should all be like (it helps that they took a break from the Winn and Dukat storyline). Tacking Into the Wind was a really great episode for the most part. It's too bad that they've not all been like this.

I especially liked the story about Kira and Damar's resistance organization. Utilizing the plot of stealing a Jem'Hadar vessel had Damar confronting his beliefs. It was especially poignant when he reacted to the news that the Dominion had killed his family as punishment: "What kind of state tolerates the murder of innocent women and children? What kind of people gives those orders?" To which Kira replied: "Yeah, Damar! What kind of people gives those orders?" You could almost see the wheels starting to turn in his head.

So it came as no surprise that Damar was the one to kill Gul Neroon… sorry, Gul Rosot. As Damar said: "He was my friend. But his Cardassia is dead, and it won't be coming back." I really do hope he survives the war. He's the kind of leader that a new Cardassia needs, when it must climb back from the inevitable ashes. It's a pity that we won't see this happen. Another season of DS9 could've shown the aftermath of the war.

I liked how they snuck onboard the ship, with Odo disguising himself as the Founder lady, and how the Cardassian guard recognized Damar and wished them good luck. There was some real suspense there, even if their plan worked a bit too perfectly.

On DS9 the Klingons, or rather Chancellor Gowron, has become a problem. He's deliberately undermining the war effort in order to discredit his perceived rival General Martok. As I predicted, one of them has to go. But it's not Martok who challenges him but Worf, and the outcome is a foregone conclusion. This was both tiring and interesting. Tiring because it was yet another one of those Klingon stories with challenges, growling and honour. Interesting because it did raise the issue of what is wrong with the Klingon Empire (by none other than Ezri Dax).

Much like Cardassia, the Klingons are in decline and something new must come if they're to be saved. I'm just not sure if a warrior like Martok is the one to herald that. As a soldier he can become another Napoleon. I don't think he has the same grasp as Damar, who is also a soldier, about the faults of his world.

Lastly there were the continuing efforts of Bashir to cure Odo. This is a set-up for a plan he hatches with O'Brien to lure Section 31 to the station so they can find a cure from them. Doesn't sound like that will be very successful - getting the cure from them I mean. That the Section will turn up is a certainty.

Since there was no inane Winn and Dukat plot here, I'll give Tacking Into the Wind a grade of 9 on my 10-graded scale.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

7-23 Extreme Measures

Dammit, Extreme Measures could've been a great episode. In fact it should have been, but they really, really botched it here, and this at a time when the show is almost done. It was about Section 31 and big, no, huge moral issues involved… and we got this! Bashir and O'Brien wandering around in Sloan's dying mind for an hour! Sheesh!

We have the whole genocide issue, and it was just mentioned once - in passing - by Sisko. It felt as if they didn't dare talk in more length about it, since at least I feel it's not so cut-and-dried. The Founders are essentially en enemy that you have to exterminate in order to be assured of victory. They're like the Borg in that respect. The Next Generation ducked the issue when Picard refused to use Hugh (I, Borg) and I had hoped DS9 would be better. We'll see, there are a couple of episodes left. But this is really where this discussion should've taken place.

Another aspect they ducked from was the extreme measures that Bashir took. For all his pontificating about how wrong the Section is, he himself didn't live up to any lofty ideals either. He tricked a person into coming to him, took him captive and subjected him to an illegal and possibly lethal Romulan mind probe. Yet, there wasn't much reflection from anyone on that.

I found myself tapping impatiently with my foot, wishing that they'd just get on with it. As nice as buddy episodes with Bashir and O'Brien can be, this felt really out of place, especially when there was such a meatier story screaming to be told. The episode even managed to destroy some of the buddy dynamic by actually having them talk about it and how much the like each other. Please, most guys just don't that! And this might make me sound sexist, but it felt like a woman had written that part. Bashir and O'Brien have never struck me as belonging in the quite small minority of guys that would actually say these things to each other. I realize that this is the "evolved humanity" crap of the 24th century, but come on!

I'll give a really disappointing grade of 3+ to Extreme Measures.

Image Image Image

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:54 am

Linda wrote:JadziaKatyrn, as to Ezri and the Trill rule of non reassociation, wasn't that just for spouses and immediate family? Sisko associated with Jadzia after having had a close relationship with Dax's former host. I was thinking that the Worf association was a no-no for Ezri, but not the one with Sisko or Bashir. Does anyone know the canon pronouncement on this or is it just vague?
Reassociation at Memory Alpha Apparently it's just romantic relationships, but that definitely rules out Ezri and Worf. Which means they probably should've brought it up, at least.

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:23 am

KTR, Linda:

In what episode was it show that Chancellor Gowron of the Klingon empire was an imposter? How was the imposter found out and the real one rescued?

Btw, if this didn't happen and it was all in my head, excuse the questions.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:02 am

Something sort of like that happened, only people thought Gowron was the imposter but the real imposter was Martok. I think it was in Season 5. *skips over to Memory Alpha*

Ah, here we are. Martok (Changeling) This is interesting because Martok was impersonated quite early.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:42 pm

Dialee, I will let KTR answer as he has just watched these DS9 episodes and it has been a long time since I did, so my memory is fuzzy. I think I will get them out and rewatch again, when I get the chance. This summer has been so busy that I am looking forward to winter and some time to just sit, watch ST, read, and write!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:02 am

JadziaKathryn:

Thank you very much! Looks like I have a bunch of episodes of DS9 to watch as soon as they get shown on Spike. I was hoping to catch up on some sleep. DS9 is shown at 2 o'clock in the morning where I live. :wink:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 pm

Next to last...

7-24 The Dogs of War

The Dogs of War is the next-to-last episode of DS9, so why on God's green Earth did they have to devote a sizeable portion of it to the damn Ferengis? Was there really a need to bring that stupid and ill-informed caricature of capitalism to a closure? I think not. Quark as a character is another matter, and from the looks of it he will remain a barkeep on the station for the foreseeable future, long after most of the others have left.

While I don't exactly applaud how Ferengi civilization has been portrayed, I find it utterly inconceivable that they'd embark on a path to socialism in such a short time, and just because Moogie and Zek has said so. They would have been booted out of the Tower of Commerce before they could say the T-word. I also find it insulting that the only perceived way forward is to embrace some sort of socialism, but I guess that goes with the usual leftist mentality in Hollywood (and 24th century Trek). Fitting that idiot Rom should become the next Grand Nagus.

But I must admit to a chuckle at Quark channelling Picard: "The line has to be drawn here! This far, and no further!" Indeed, and I wish the writers had drawn the line on Ferengi stories a long time ago.

The other parts of The Dogs of War were much, much better, if not downright excellent. Watching the situation on Cardassia develop was very compelling. I'm not surprised that Damar's little resistance was crushed, given the limited resources and manpower at hand. But he certainly managed to rise to the occasion, inciting the civilian population into open rebellion against the dominion. Who'd have guessed merely a season ago that Damar of all people would turn out to become this legendary hero figure among the Cardassians? And I bet that Mila, in whose basement Damar, Garak and Kira are hiding, is actually more than Enabran Tain's old housekeeper, and in fact Garak's mother.

This episode also saw Bashir and Ezri Dax hook up after some awkwardness. It was bound to happen, given all previous signals on the show. Too bad it never came off as right to me. There was never that much interaction between them, and their attraction towards each other was communicated through intermediaries - Ezri talking to Worf and Bashir talking to O'Brien. Would it have killed the writers to actually show the attraction develop between them? But Bashir is one damn lucky fellow!

The previous destruction of the Defiant (The Changing Face of Evil) was in my view cheapened with the sudden introduction of a new ship that's almost the same. I know they have done it with the Enterprise on Star Trek before, but even back then it was something of a cheat.

The Dogs of War was an uneven episode, and I felt there was a real disconnect between the supposedly "humorous" Ferengi segment and the seriousness of the main plot. Just the latter would've garnered a grade of 9 or perhaps even a 10, but the Ferengis drag this one down to a grade of 6+ on my 10-graded scale. I contemplated giving it a 7 but the Ferengis just take up so much damn time.

Image Image Image Image Image Image

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:03 am

Edit: wrong thread

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:22 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:While I don't exactly applaud how Ferengi civilization has been portrayed, I find it utterly inconceivable that they'd embark on a path to socialism in such a short time, and just because Moogie and Zek has said so.
Well, then I suppose it could've been worse. They could've devoted an entire episode to showing the socio-cultural changes taking place on Ferenginar.

Return to “Other Trek”