Happy endings? Sad endings?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Happy endings? Sad endings?

Postby panyasan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:23 pm

Austen herself took the risk of being a spinster. She did turn down that one marriage proposal she got. Better to live alone happy than unhappy (and annoyed) with a man, she maybe have thought.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:06 pm

And she turned it down the morning after she'd accepted it the night before. What an awful night that must have been.

Poor Jane. She was wildly in love with a young man at one point in her youth, but it wasn't considered a good match for him and that was the end of it.

Lucky us, though. We might never have gotten her books if she'd had marriage and family. I'm glad she at least got to see her books published and attaining some popularity while she was still alive, which wasn't very long -- I think she died at 41.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:09 pm

Panysann, as did Emily Dickenson, my favorite poet. She lived the life of a recluse. But her poetry wandered the world. Of course, I am such a romantic that I also love the Rubyiat by Khyam.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:07 pm

Not to oversimplify Austen, but I always thought that the fact that her own happy ending had been denied to her (at least from a romantic perspective) informs her work while at the same time she's imagining a world where a happy ending would have been possible for her, without letting go of her cynicism about marriage and courtship.

I read four Austen biographies in a row for a graduate biography class - and the consensus was that she was happy being single - though she may have longed for that imagined Mr. Darcy, she was smart enough not to get married when she didn't find him.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:31 am

I would agree that she had some very ambivalent feelings about pregnancy (a risky undertaking in those days), motherhood and marriage, and might have ultimately considered herself just as well out of it. But I also think she would have very happily said yes to young Tom Lefroy, and not changed her mind the next morning. (He, on the other hand, had a great deal to lose.)

Her heroines are always at that point in their lives when things can still turn out happily ever after in the sense of marrying one's true love, although by Persuasion Anne Eliot is 'past her bloom,' but in her own life I imagine she simply made the best of it. You might as well celebrate not being stuck in some awful marriage or dead in childbirth. It's either that or mope around.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:33 am

I concure she made that point very well in Persuasion. Um how to we get back OT? :dunno:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:54 am

Silverbullet wrote:Panysann, as did Emily Dickenson, my favorite poet. She lived the life of a recluse. But her poetry wandered the world. Of course, I am such a romantic that I also love the Rubyiat by Khyam.
I always find Emily Dickinson fascinating. Why the white dresses, the flowers etc. I know, lots of people have giving explanations, but I like the sense of mystery. I never heard of Khyam. What kind of writer is he/she?
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:56 am

Rubyiat by Khyam is a VERY old book. Old Persian Poetry, author long since dead. Hey ever see "The Music Man" the book is mentioned a lot.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 am

WarpGirl wrote:Aquarius do you like Jane Austin at all?

Can't say as I've ever been inclined to read her. Probably because of the lack of surprise.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:47 am

Well different tastes are fine. But I have to say that I wouldn't objectively classify "surprise me" as a hard and fast actual rule to good writing.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:20 am

WarpGirl wrote:Well different tastes are fine. But I have to say that I wouldn't objectively classify "surprise me" as a hard and fast actual rule to good writing.

Well, I can't see a very strong case for being predictable...

Sorry, but a good writer surprises a reader somehow...if not in the plot, then in the way language is used, or some other way. A non-surprising plot can be forgivable if it's told in a way that makes it special. If not, then it's just kind of the Same Old Crap, isn't it?

I can't make a value judgment on Austen because I haven't read her, but based on what I have gathered, there isn't anything there that makes me say to myself, "OMG, I have GOT to read that." :dunno:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:55 am

The reason I say it can't be an objective rule, is that what may be surprising to one person could be completely predictable to another. So while "surprise me" can be a great asperation for a writer in general, I'd say it is a subjective concept. Because your audience is made up of so many different people that it would be almost impossible to surprise them all.

I have read fic, books, seen movies, and listened to music that wasn't surprising in the least. But it was good simply because the persons supplying them did it well period.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:59 pm

To me the delight of Austen is not the plot -- though I mostly love those, too -- but her wry way of looking at people. Her dialogue is sparkling and her wit is a joy. And I don't think I've never seen anyone so good at capturing character in just a few polite exchanges.
Image.Image

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:22 pm

Warpgirl, yes it is an Old book of Persian Poetry. but I am an old guy who happens to like Poetry but writers that many don't read. I love robert Service. He is the only writer that made me feel the Artic in his poems.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:17 pm

I love Omar Khayyám! Persian polymath. Mathematician, philosopher, astronomer and poet.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”