We have a VOY thread. How about DS9?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

We have a VOY thread. How about DS9?

Postby auroraborealis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:36 am

I FREAKING loved DS9. I liked all of the characters except for the Ferangi (who likes the ferangi anyway?) and the Captain. I know weird. But anyway. It was imo the darker of the series. It was like season three of ENT except all the time. I loved Garek. I mean he was freaking awesome. And hilarious. If I told you everything I love basically it would just be the entire show. If anyone writes anything, I'll be more specific. We need a little flashy heart we can insert. lol.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: We have a VOY thread. How about DS9?

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:31 pm

I'm sorry I didn't like anyone on DS9 ecept the O'Brians and Garek. I didn't even like Worf on DS9. I'm sorry. :cry:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Well out of all of my love for all of the characters those were my favorites too. :D

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:44 pm

Well the O'Brians are mandatory if you were born into the TNG era. I mean TNG was the biggest treat of TV watching in my life as a little kid. And Garek well... I always love a character that comes from the "bad guys" and has done horrific terrible things, only for you to realize this was not a bad guy at all. There was a Romulan Admeral on TNG I absolutely adored.

But the concept and the other characters I just loathed. It wasn't Starfleet enough for me.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:36 pm

LOL. I gave up on DS9 even faster than I gave up on Voyager. I admired it when I watched it, but I didn't think it felt like Trek, and I just didn't care enough about it to make time for it. Both DS9 and Voyager appeared when I was busy young working mother, and life was already too full.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:42 pm

Don't get me wrong I understood that it was supposed to be dark, moody, and not black/white. I can respect that. But I could not for the life of me get interested and care about the characters. And when I can't figure out the chain of command well I give up. I don't think of Starfleet as a military in the strictest sense, but that station was totally chaotic and disorganized.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:51 pm

About all the series which followed TOS, I have a regret.
I didn't be able to see them with the eyes of an adolescent. Eyes like these are full of dreams and of bright stars, and I didn't have eyes so clear not even when it appeared TOS. That's the reason because of which I can seem a little disenchanted in regard to these series.
And, probably, I had the same veiled eyes when I saw Enterprise, to such an extent that the only thing which grasped me, was the love story between Trip and T'Pol.
The remainder of the whole series wasn't practically anything, for me.
How much old, my soul is! :(
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:54 pm

I started watching DS9 one summer when I was baby sitting. The little boy I baby sat would always fall asleep the same day every time. I was always paranoid about leaveing sleeping little kids alone so I would stay on the couch with him and watch DS9 with the captions on. If I'm honest with myself, one of the greatest reasons I like DS9 so much is nestalgia (I didn't spell that right.) I really liked that summer. lol.

And like I said before the dark moodyness was one of my favorite things. DS9 just felt like a whole new breed of star trek. It wasn't even on a ship which I thought was facinating. I loved that Worf finally got a girl... and a HOTT one at that. I liked that they brought worf back because he was always one of my favorite characters. I thought Kira was an interesting character. In fact she was kind of Chakotay-esque. A rogue that went starfleet. I really liked Julian and Obrian's friendship. And Obrian was always one of my favorite characters on TNG. And I'm pretty sure that next to borg, cardassians are my all time favorite bad guys. They're politly cruel, which is really creepy. Garek was awesome. Pretty much any episode he was in rocked. And then I even like that hollogram. Vic Fontane or something like that. And odo was a favorite of mine for a long time but got beat out by garek. And talk about epic romance. :loveeyes: KIRA AND ODO :loveeyes: . I really liked them together.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:00 pm

I really enjoyed DS9 - also for sentimental reason, but I really liked Kira - a strong character with an interesting history and I loved Odo. Same reason why I like Data and T'Pol - I always takes sides to the "introvert outsider". I sometimes didn't like the acting of Sisko, but he was a great captain, liked him as single dad. Like O'Brien too, a normal guy, great engineer. I didn't like Dax, like the new Dax, Nicole DeBoer.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:03 pm

I always thought that sisko talked funny. Like he breathed a lot in between what he was saying. It kind of made me laugh sometimes :lol: he was probably my least favorite character. It was an intersting concept though, being a Captian with a child.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:28 pm

Well I don't want to upset anyone but I'll try to explain why I didn't like the characters...

Sisko: Honestly aside from the fact he was a father, the man was really boring. And I cannot understand the whole Prohets thing so... How can you like something you absolutely don't understand?

Kira: I felt she was inconsistent, she never could figure out what or who she wanted to be... I can't take that for more than 2 seasons, and I quit after season 3.

Jadzia Dax: OK I started out liking this woman very much. And then they truned her into a bit of a seducturess and then put her with Worf????????? Worf, OK I agree he needs a woman. Preferably one that does live longer than a few years. But after going through all of those men, and an ex-wife, they could not convince me Jadzia and Worf were true love. Besides I was rooting for Bashir and she treated him terribly.

Bashir: Again in the beginning I liked him, until they made him a man-whore, augment, whiny, annoying sissy. And the token thing with Ezri was equally irritating.

Odo: Awesome character! If not on every single week! I absolutely adore the actor, I praise the preformences especially with Quark brilliant acting. But again the tragic character thing was forced at me every week. Every moth would have been fine. Finally I was like I don't care anymore. And I didn't understand why he wanted Kira so badly. Why??????????

Quark: Brilliant actor, even a great character, but he was a yo-yo good-bad-annoying-sweet eventually I wanted to kill him! Every week! It was way too much, again I just stopped caring. If he was just a every month character I would have loved him.

And then there were all the "little characters" Jake, Nog, Rom, Rom's wife, so many God I my head is swimming just writing this. Add the war plot, Maquis, Dominion, Starfleet, Prophets, and all the epic stories. TOO MUCH! It was all just too much. Call me crazy but when you have a cast so large, and so many stories in one series in makes it hard to care about individuals and specific stories.

Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:20 pm

auroraborealis wrote:I always thought that sisko talked funny. Like he breathed a lot in between what he was saying. It kind of made me laugh sometimes :lol: he was probably my least favorite character. It was an intersting concept though, being a Captian with a child.

....and the madder he got, the more ridiculous it became. When he was really mad, he looked like he was gasping for air, and/or going into an ever so slight oxygen deprivation convulsion.

Totally distracted me, and was one of the only reasons I didn't like Sisko.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:35 pm

It was just a few years ago (there's a thread here somewhere) that I started to watch DS9 for the first time. My reviews of all the episodes can be read here (they have a tendency to grow in length as I progress... I rather liked it. Aside from Kirk I've never really liked any of the Trek captains, but I did like Sisko. I mostly liked the other characters too.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:06 am

Brooks' acting style never bugged me as much as, um, the actress who played Janeway. Kate something? Oh dear, Alzheimers moment.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:12 am

Kate Mulgrew.

And I'm not a fan.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”