Voyager character question...

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Voyager character question...

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 3:27 am

OK. This was originally a question about Owen Paris before I edited this post, but I think I got the situation under control now.

Never mind.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Voyager character question...

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:40 am

Heh. I couldn't really help much since I don't know the show very well ...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:44 am

Don't worry about it. I was just wondering how much of a butt monkey I should make him in my story. He's turing out to be a very gifted butt monkey indeed Very Happy I'd love to get him and Captain Archer in the same room together so they can have a poo flinging contest.

(oh no.... Usually when I say stuff like that I end up writing it later on.)
Writing as TrekPyro.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:12 am

Owen Paris? He doesn't turn out to be such abad guy in the end of the series. I haven't read "Homecoming" yet though.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:45 am

^ I've read the first two chapters and it didn't strike me as that interesting. So I stopped reading and picked up another book.

As far as Owen Paris is concerned...

He was an abusive old man.

Towards the end of the series (Pathfinder, Endgame, etc...) he appeared a competent, even pleasant, Admiral with decent people skills which is to be expected considering Janeway has always had respect for the man and even served with him with no complaint. I would think he behaved the same way with non family members the whole time Tom was growing up.

However. His relationship with Tom was never resolved. Sure, in Pathfinder he had a picture of "young academy Tom" on his desk (ala ST:TNG First Duty), and he did seem concerned that Tom was lost in the DQ and he missed him. But that much is to be expected even in an abusive situation. We were never really given enough information about his character to really know for sure if he had ever really stopped being a buttmunch. I'm sure when he spoke with Tom through the Data streams he was pleasant and kind, but I can't even bring that into account because he was never around him long enough during the day to see what his life was really like in the DQ.

I decided to write him like a mild version of "Cogenitor Archer". Or maybe not so mild depending on what happens. In my story, Tom had been in the Alpha Quadrant for almost a year which would give the old man time to fall back into old habits.

By personal experience, this seems plausible to me especially if things were never really hashed out. I left my home when I was 18 because of my parents - moved to South Carolina for a year. They were nice to me over the phone, but when I returned, right after the "Reunion" period they fell right back into old habits so I ended up moving out for good.
Writing as TrekPyro.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:40 am

I hated that about face on Owen Paris. To me they should have kept him evil. Tom had gone through so much growth culminating in that letter in Thirty Days and then they invalidate it by making Owen like Ward Cleaver? SAY WHAT!!! Imagine Malcolm saying I need to give my Da a bear hug! YUCK!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:38 am

Wow, it must've been a lot longer since I've watched Voyager than I thought. I SO don't remember Owen Paris being a nice guy. :vulcan: Maybe I missed that episode??? It's very possible...our UPN affiliate was always preempting Trek for stupid hockey, so sometimes you could never figure out when the hell it really was going to be on. :cry:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:38 am

The last half of season 6 it is revealed that Owen Paris is head of the Pathfinder Project, tiressly working to find VOY and bring home his son. And he's oh so wonderful!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Buttmunch? :lol: Haven't heard that expression before but its beautiful. I like characters that are multifaceted so I guess Owen Paris could be decent to career peers and a bastard to his family. Often parents expect to much of family, like "the kid has my genes and to screw up (in my opinion) is an insult to my genes". Or something like that. It is too bad they didn't have an episode where Tom lets his dad know what an ass of a father he was. Or did they and I missed it? Don't think so though.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:42 pm

No they didn't. Then again B'Elanna had to forgive her jerk of a dad without giving him a piece of her mind either. Oh well, in that case ST is a little "too perfect" real people have to vent before they forgive. But then with baby Miral on the way, they might just think it's too unimportant in the grand scheme of things.

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:37 pm

I got the impression that John Torres had a long way to go, in B'Elanna's mind, but then she'd also gotten to the point where she didn't need him, if that makes any sense.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Yeah it does. She had Tom, he proved himself when she was terrified of having the baby. Which I think its safe to lame those hybrid hormones and the trauma of what happened to her. Most men would have left, he didn't. John Torres doesn't have control anymore, not that he gave any indication that he knew how badly he'd messed her up.

Fics

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”