Enlistment?

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Enlistment?

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:42 pm

With respect, Earth was not Vulcan's ally. Earth was under Vulcan's control. Look at how the Vulcans could shut down Starfleet with just a few harsh words. An "ally" doesn't do that. A colonial power, however, can.

Navigator wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:Could that Navigator ever be in command of the ship? As in, at any time when the captain goes and gets his damned fool self captured and beat up (which seemed to happen fairly frequently on ENT)?

In a word, unless I read the policy wrong, Yep.

Based on what I've seen, though, it's a rarity. From Wiki:
Churchill is the only U.S. Navy vessel to have a Royal Navy Officer assigned to the ship's company. The U.S. Navy had a permanent U.S. Navy Officer on the Royal Navy ship, HMS Marlborough. Churchill is also the only U.S. Naval vessel to fly a foreign ensign. The Royal Navy's white ensign is flown as well as the stars and stripes. The Churchill has a simulated pub counter on board, complete with beer taps; but due to Navy regulations there is no beer there

Therefore, it seems like an exception to the rule, doesn't it? Could it have something to do with the name of the ship, and Churchill's importance?
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:54 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:With respect, Earth was not Vulcan's ally. Earth was under Vulcan's control. Look at how the Vulcans could shut down Starfleet with just a few harsh words. An "ally" doesn't do that. A colonial power, however, can.
I concede that point, although I disagree with the term 'colonial power.' A colonial power would be getting some sort of profit out of all this. Vulcans aren't migrating to Earth to live, and they aren't using it to grow crops or get a lot of cash. I think what they're trying to do is keep humans back as, from their view, damage control.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:57 pm

Do we really know that they're not getting anything out it? Based on what I've seen of Vulcan, it seems logical (pardon the expression) to presume that Earth is exporting foodstuffs to that desert planet. It still strikes me as a very colonial type of mentality.

That's one of my complaints about ENT. They should have delved more into this ... relationship.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:00 pm

I base my reasoning mostly on this: Paxton was a lot of negative things, but he wasn't stupid. Now, were Vulcans getting something like foodstuffs from Earth, it would've been significant ammunition for Terra Prime. But we didn't hear a word of that in his speech.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:03 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:I base my reasoning mostly on this: Paxton was a lot of negative things, but he wasn't stupid.

Afraid that I have to disagree with that. Plastering an image of a cute half-human, half-Vulcan baby and decrying how horrific aliens were seemed pretty dumb to me.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:05 pm

Well, if Vulcan is this controlling semi-colonial overseer of Earthly affairs, they could demand that the XO of the Enterprise be a Vulcan, and even if it would go against regs, Earth Starfleet would have to acquiesce.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:06 pm

Which is the only way I'm able to accept it, even if I think it was ridiculous.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:10 pm

Except that the Vulcans wanted T'Pol off Enterprise, even though they initially insisted upon her being there.
Rigil Kent wrote:Afraid that I have to disagree with that. Plastering an image of a cute half-human, half-Vulcan baby and decrying how horrific aliens were seemed pretty dumb to me.
Some people would get all freaked out about losing the purity of the human race. Just look at race relations, past and present. It doesn't have to make sense, you just have to whip people into a frenzy.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:18 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:Except that the Vulcans wanted T'Pol off Enterprise, even though they initially insisted upon her being there.

Which, frankly, made little sense in the first place. But then, that's an old complaint of mine and not one I really want to revisit. What's done is done, even if it defies comprehension.

Some people would get all freaked out about losing the purity of the human race. Just look at race relations, past and present. It doesn't have to make sense, you just have to whip people into a frenzy.

How many? I just can't see that many people getting worked up over it. If the kid opened her mouth and tentacles shot out, then I could buy people freaking out about it. In this case, not so much, especially given that they've gone to great efforts in the last four years to show how humans have "evolved" and are better than the race bigots of the modern age.

So, sorry. Not buying it.

And we've gone wildly off-topic...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:31 am

Quote:
Churchill is the only U.S. Navy vessel to have a Royal Navy Officer assigned to the ship's company. The U.S. Navy had a permanent U.S. Navy Officer on the Royal Navy ship, HMS Marlborough. Churchill is also the only U.S. Naval vessel to fly a foreign ensign. The Royal Navy's white ensign is flown as well as the stars and stripes. The Churchill has a simulated pub counter on board, complete with beer taps; but due to Navy regulations there is no beer there

Therefore, it seems like an exception to the rule, doesn't it? Could it have something to do with the name of the ship, and Churchill's importance?

OK, I'm back from mowing the yard and a few other things.

Very much an exception. However, there have been "exchange officer" tours at the junior officer level among most of the NATO navies. More at shore activities than afloat. You guys really changed the topic while I was gone. This was a real pizza and beer discussion.

Off topic as this may be, I think the food exports is interesting. I have this vision of a Vulcan in blue jeans buying tons of rice in Arkansas.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:38 am

Navigator wrote:
Quote:

Very much an exception. However, there have been "exchange officer" tours at the junior officer level among most of the NATO navies. More at shore activities than afloat. You guys really changed the topic while I was gone. This was a real pizza and beer discussion.

I've been on "joint mission" exchange tours. Both as a contractor and as a Govie/military in and around the DC area as well as oversea's.

While it's not common to have an ally in charge of a mission/missions it does happen.

I guess it really depends on the job and mission....for me working hand in hand with the Brits,Canadians etc is old hat and not a big deal.

In fact one of my last duty assignments with the Army, I spent much of my time working with all kinds of people. I even at one point and time had a "brit" boss if you will. He was more or less my civilian supervisor at one point.
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

pookha
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby pookha » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:52 am

Rigil Kent wrote:
Drogna wrote:Starfleet seems to do a lot of weird things with its personnel.

God, ain't that the truth. Like, I dunno, making a member of a rival stellar nation's service the first officer. Or even worse, making her the first officer when she's a civilian. And don't get me started on how stupid it was of them to make her the XO in season 4 when she was outranked by Tucker (time in grade, time in service.)

Stoopid Starfleet. :bitch:

or who take people on the run from their native country for being involved in a revolt and kidnapping the king and make them a general.
;)

Rigil Kent wrote:
JadziaKathryn wrote:I base my reasoning mostly on this: Paxton was a lot of negative things, but he wasn't stupid.

Afraid that I have to disagree with that. Plastering an image of a cute half-human, half-Vulcan baby and decrying how horrific aliens were seemed pretty dumb to me.

i think the point was she looked more vulcan then human and in the eyes of the terra prime people they were trying to get across if humans intermixed with other species what made them human would fade.
they were hoping to tie into the fear the xindi attack dredged up which bought to the surface some fear of the outside that had started to go away.

the thing of it is yeah it didnt work because evidently many saw the child and not the fear but i could see why a crazy madman like paxton would have come up with the idea.
add in that he also could gain by having access for awhile to her blood so the factors could later be sythensized to treat his illness.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:03 am

Navigator wrote:
Quote:

Off topic as this may be, I think the food exports is interesting. I have this vision of a Vulcan in blue jeans buying tons of rice in Arkansas.

I just joined this discussion (seeming as how I was mentioned in the original question, I felt compelled to chime in :P). I quoted the above passage because it was the first mention of something I was going to say hadn't been mentioned which was the commonality of exchange programs, particularly between the British Royal Marines and the USMC. It's not exactly on the same level as a foreign officer acting as XO, but there was a point made which I felt was strong, but was disputed - and that's NORAD. I wasn't aware there had been a strong Canadian presence in leadership at NORAD, but just the fact that it's designed to cover North America should not underscore in any way the reality of the fact that it does constitute a significant modern example of a foreign general/adjudant-general level officer (like T'Pol) serving in an allied power's military at a somewhat high-ranking position. And, we can debate the real political orientations of Vulcan and Earth all day, because different situations that we saw on screen DO present different realities, but on screen they are portrayed as allies and therefore I believe that we should accept them as allies and then judge accordingly the legitimacy of an officer exchange agreement between them, given that as an assumption. The Vulcans may be a little dictatorial about certain Earth operations but... if that's disqualifying for the relationship to be termed "alliance", then we don't have a single alliance on the planet, because the United States doesn't yield one ounce of defensive sovereignty to any nation, we dictate terms, so I think it's a moot argument. I think the best we can do is call them "allies with occasionally strained relations". I don't think we're given sufficient cause via on screen evidence to substantiate claims that Vulcan treats Earth with a colonial mentality - this sounds a lot more like what Earth did to Vulcan in the MU. Not to mention, despite the fact that Vulcan is a desert planet, they certainly would not have become a race technologically superior to humans some 1500 years earlier than we did if they weren't perfectly capable of growing their own food or procurring their own natural resources in ample supply. I don't think the relationship is so adversarial as to make officer-exchange programs untenable - I think the fact that Vulcans never HAVE served with humans for any appreciable amount of time in the past could be attributed to the fact that simply don't want to because we're so smelly and emotional.

This got off topic in regard to T'Pol (as it started out on enlistment) but I felt compelled to defend that T'Pol was made XO because of the fact that I think the NORAD example is relevant, and that even though they aren't XO's of vessels, that the USMC/BRM exchange examples are valid as well as others of which I am unaware. A particularly significant example is that of a Marine rotary pilot that was recently honored with the Distinguised Flying Cross by the Queen for actions in combat while serving with the BRM in Iraq as a squadron commander, so it certainly can happen that an ally officer can serve in a command-level position. What I think makes sense, and what they should have done on screen in order to more firmly legitimize T'Pol's presence (ESPECIALLY in season 3) was for Archer to have specifically requested or gone through some kind of process with Starfleet to make T'Pol an exchange officer, there should have at least been some kind of recognition of that fact after the first mission. I don't see a contradiction in that the Vulcans wanted her on the first mission real bad and then wanted her off, because the first mission was in order to debunk Archer's command ability and the crew's competence, whereas, once the mission went off successfully, for her to remain as an exchange officer would have lent credence to the humans' warp five program which the Vulcans weren't yet ready to give.

As far as Tucker out-ranking T'Pol in time im service, isn't it possible that, once T'Pol were legitimately considered an exchange officer and then later left that service to join ours, had there been convened a panel or a board to decide where to assign her, or whether to leave her assigned to Enterprise, that her time-in-service in the Vulcan Space Service would have been considered pertinent? That's like 40 years. And if, prior to deciding she would retain her rank of XO, they decided FIRST whether to keep her on Enterprise, and decided in the affirmative, it seems most sensible to me NOT to bump her down and put Tucker above her. Sure, on paper, Tucker has "more experience in Starfleet". But to me that sounds like kind of a robotic decision. If it were me on that board, assuming I trusted a Vulcan with that position (because that's a different question than competence as a function of time-in-service) I would keep T'Pol on as XO 1. because she'd demonstrated she could do the job and 2. because the real life implications of dropping Tucker below T'Pol after she had once been his superior would HAVE to be considered. Yes, they're officers, and both would go along with it and I haven't a doubt that T'Pol would take orders from Tucker. But that's exactly the kind of thing that in today's military would look rediculous. It's like those seniority deals at the workplace where someone gets laid off because they have the least seniority, so they knock down somebody else and take their job, but suddenly they work FOR someone who used to work for them. I've seen it happen, as ridiculous as that sounds, and it has the potential to create problems. It's a command level decision that IMO, would not be chosen given T'Pol's record of service despite the fact that Tucker has more years in Starfleet. There'd be plenty of arguments to go around the table at the inquiry to suggest that T'Pol's more qualified than he.

As for enlistment, all I can say is to echo what's been said before... that there's a term of service you contract for and often it can be split between active duty service and reserve, and they should have reflected that more in Star Trek, because there were obviously enlisted personnel (crewmen). Of course they didn't get the screen time they should have.

I have my own ideas about how Trip got to be where he is, age/rank-wise. It's currently an operating point of a fic I'm writing, but I'll spill it. He says in 'Unexpected' that he's been in Starfleet for 12 years, and at that time he's either 29 or 30 years old, which puts his entrance at age 17/18. Next-to-impossible for a commissioning, unless they REALLY do things more advanced in the educational system at that time... and I have a hard time believing it's THAT accelerated. More likely, I think he enlisted at 18, used a Starfleet version of the GI bill to go to college or an officer candidate school as a prior enlisted and got his commission, possibly even as a full grade LT, skipping past LTJG. A buddy of mine who's a SSgt in the Marines claims he'll come out of OCS as a 1Lt instead of 2Lt, so that would be an analogous Starfleet scenario. The point at which he's a LT and probably fresh out of college or OCS (presuming there's no Starfleet Academy yet) would probably be around the time we saw him in 'First Flight', working on Captain Jeffries' engineering team and meeting Archer/Robinson/Forrest.

Officers also sign on for contract periods, like CX was saying... so I can't help but wonder what some of the junior officers' periods are. Since Hoshi was out of Starfleet, she'd have to have already served hers... and she was what, 23, 24? at the start of Broken Bow. That means it is likely that the minimum term of service is probably similar to ours, ~4 years. But maybe even 2.... It's difficult to speculate given that we know little-to-nothing about the path to officership at this time... ok yeah I just looked it up to be sure, Starfleet Academy wasn't founded until 2161. Soo... was there some kind of OCS type course? Did entrants still come from a variety of the Naval and Air Force academies? (assuming a global version of the US ones exist at this time). I would tend to believe myself that people go to college out of highschool, study a field that's pertinent to what they want to do in Starfleet, and then go to a specific qualification course for it, sort of like Army ROTC, NROTC, or Marine OCS. That makes sense to me because if Starfleet Academy is founded later, it suggests that the foundation of it was an unprecedented unification of the training of Starfleet recruits, suggesting that prior to that, they had come from varied educational backgrounds.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:31 am

Elessar wrote:Officers also sign on for contract periods, like CX was saying... so I can't help but wonder what some of the junior officers' periods are. Since Hoshi was out of Starfleet, she'd have to have already served hers... and she was what, 23, 24? at the start of Broken Bow. That means it is likely that the minimum term of service is probably similar to ours, ~4 years. But maybe even 2.... It's difficult to speculate given that we know little-to-nothing about the path to officership at this time... ok yeah I just looked it up to be sure, Starfleet Academy wasn't founded until 2161. Soo... was there some kind of OCS type course? Did entrants still come from a variety of the Naval and Air Force academies? (assuming a global version of the US ones exist at this time). I would tend to believe myself that people go to college out of highschool, study a field that's pertinent to what they want to do in Starfleet, and then go to a specific qualification course for it, sort of like Army ROTC, NROTC, or Marine OCS. That makes sense to me because if Starfleet Academy is founded later, it suggests that the foundation of it was an unprecedented unification of the training of Starfleet recruits, suggesting that prior to that, they had come from varied educational backgrounds.

I also wonder if some exceptions were made and if some of the officers would have been "fast tracked" because of their specialties. I have no doubts that the crew of Enterprise, down to the poor guy who works on the waste reclamation system (I can sooooo see an Enterprise-era episode of "Dirty Jobs" covering what happens when something goes wrong), is made up of the best available people (Starfleet or civillian) in their respective fields-- if they could get them to serve aboard a starship. From her behavior first season, Hoshi doesn't strike me as someone with even a year in Starfleet under her belt, and that's okay, because she's a walking translator. There must have been a ton of communications officers with years of experience for Archer to pick, but probably none of them held a candle to Hoshi, skill-wise. Ditto for Travis-- he's so young, but being a Boomer and having so much actual starship experience was probably the main reason why Archer chose him.

On T'Pol, sometimes you also do things to placate your allies. Look at it from a Starfleet Admiral's point of view:

A. Let the Vulcans stick an officer on board a Terran vessel. This makes the Vulcans happy that the Terrans won't go do something truly stupid with the ship... which means that if something does happen to Enterprise, they'll be willing to lend a helping hand. This Vulcan also won't do any harm, but the experience level that he/she would bring to the ship will be priceless.

or

B. Don't let the Vulcan serve... and as soon as something happens that is beyond the crew's experience level, risk having the Vulcans say, "Well, you wanted to be on your own... so figure this out yourselves."

It's a good diplomatic move, if nothing else.

If anyone wants to see a modern example of one government allowing another to interfere for the sake of diplomacy, you just need to look at the Madeline situation in Portugal. Little British girl on vacation goes missing (let's not get into the fact that her genius parents left her and her baby brother in the hotel room at the ocean with an open window while they went out for dinner...) After a very short while, deciding that the Portuguese police must be incompetent, the British bully their police into the country and they are allowed by the Portuguese government for diplomatic reasons to operate to the fullest extent with the Portuguese police. This made no difference in the investigation, nothing groundbreaking has been found by the British that the Portuguese hadn't found, but it was a diplomatic move that placated the British that really hasn't hurt Portugal in any way. (Personally, with some of the commentary I've heard from the British, acting as if the Algarve is one of their colonies or something, I'd kick them out of the country on their butts and tell them to remind their citizens not to leave their children unattended in a hotel room for hours with AN OPEN WINDOW out onto the ocean, and then run around describing the kid as "blonde and pretty", when there are plenty of pretty blonde little girls in Portugal. But, then again, I'm no diplomat. And what I'm seeing is similar to what lots of people on Terra would probably see and say about the Vulcans. I don't know everything going through the minds of either government in the situation...)
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:26 pm

This whole argument with T'Pol totally ignores the other members of Starfleet who aren't serving aboard Enterprise. How do you think the 12 year veteran who is on the short list to make Commander is going to react when he finds out that a Vulcan joined Starfleet and was simply given the rank that he's been trying to make for years? There are only a certain number of slots for such a rank (based on Starfleet's apparent lack of ships), so suddenly, his entire career is put on hold because the brass wanted to bump a Vulcan with a questionable record ahead of him. He's going to be pissed off, and he won't be the only one. A lot of personnel in the Starfleet officer corps are going to see that as preferential treatment regardless of her qualifications, especially given how the show took great pains to point out how frustrated the humans were with their Vulcan "allies." It's naive to presume that everyone in Starfleet is going to accept this without complaint, especially given the very obvious xenophobia problem that was happening during the season wherein she received her rank of commander.

And frankly, based on the record I saw on the show, there's plenty of arguments to go around that suggest she isn't more qualified than he is, and, in fact, shouldn't be in the chain-of-command at all.

Look, I get the real world reason why they made T'Pol the XO (wanted to make it a homage to Spock), but I remain unconvinced that it was the smart thing to do in the first damned place. Put simply: she kind of sucked when in command, except for a couple of rare instances in the early parts of the show before they started turning her into a sidekick. Yeah, Tucker wasn't fantastic initially either, but he at least got better in the Big Chair as time went on, whereas T'Pol got worse.

Let the Vulcans stick an officer on board a Terran vessel. This makes the Vulcans happy that the Terrans won't go do something truly stupid with the ship... which means that if something does happen to Enterprise, they'll be willing to lend a helping hand. This Vulcan also won't do any harm, but the experience level that he/she would bring to the ship will be priceless.

Except that the commanding officer basically ignored every single thing said Vulcan "suggested", so the point is moot.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”