Star Trek: Foundations (temp thread)

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: Foundations (temp thread)

Postby CX » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:06 am

Here's what I have in the writer's bible, excluding Flight Operations:

• Operations Management: This department is responsible for managing all the resources of a ship, station, or other outpost to ensure their most efficient use.
  • Medical: Pretty self explanatory.
  • Engineering: Responsible for what makes everything work.
  • Science: Encompasses all the sciences.
  • Communications: Responsible for all communications, translation, and information management. Communications is technically a sub-department of both Science and Operations, but essentially acts as its own department.
  • Logistics, Acquisitions, & Financial Management: Has the task of managing all supplies and material as well as how to use them to support the mission. The ship's quartermaster and the cargo handlers belong to this department.
  • Navigation: Self explanatory.
  • Judge Advocate: Responsible for any legal issues that arise with UESPA personnel.
  • Dining Services: Self explanatory.
  • Chaplain Services: A fairly small department that tends to any religious needs crewmembers may have while on long-term assignment.

In addition, I'm thinking of adding something specifically for computers and/or electronics.

Eian Flannagan
Commander
Commander
Twitter username: eianflannagan

Postby Eian Flannagan » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:20 am

Off the top of my head, a few can be symbolized by the obvious:

Medical: caduceus
Science: atom symbol?
Judge Adv: scales
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds;
our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
---Johann von Goethe

The Happy Medium Universe

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:25 am

Updated wings:

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:14 pm

CX, I like your pic of the modified wings...

A few more ideas for departmental insignia:

Dining Services: Crossed knife and fork
Communications: a quill pen, maybe?
Navigations: a compass, or maybe a sextant?
Chaplain Services: this is a bit hard, taking into account all the different beliefs and faiths in the universe, but how about a book? Or the image of the Milky Way or a nebula? :dunno:
Logistics/Acquisitions: a comet, or a star with comet-like trails coming from it? Or the image of clasped hands (since they're basically a service department, like Dining). Or maybe even a magnifying glass, since if the item isn't on board, they have to scrounge for it?
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:21 pm

Eian Flannagan wrote:Medical: caduceus

That's actually a common mistake made especially in North America. The traditional ancient Greek symbol for medicine is the rod of Asclepius.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:41 pm

Exactly.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:17 pm

I'll probably use this.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:17 am

Small updates:

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:31 pm

Started on the short sleeve version, which is being more difficult than it really should be. :(

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:03 pm

Well, in case you've been wondering what I've been up to, I've been working on some artwork for Foundations. I probably should be writing, but at the same time I've been wanting to get this done, too, and I finally have long uninterrupted spans of time to do it. Anyway, I'm working on the department symbols, and I've hit a bit of a wall. Basically I can't decide what background to use for them. Keep in mind that these are the chrome pins akin to the pilots wings to be used on the service dress uniforms. Anyway, I'm just posting up the medical pin now, since so far this is the only one I've done with both backgrounds. I also have the science version pretty much finished except for some tweaking, and I've started on the engineering pin as well. Anyway, here are the options.

Shield Background - my problem with this one is that it might remind too many people of security or law enforcement, though this is honest to God the shape of the medical pin that the Air Force uses.

Circular Background - my problem with this one is that it might remind too many people of one of those goofy pins that the waiters have to wear at places like Applebee's and TGI Friday and the like.

Different depending on department - in case it might be boring to have them on all the same background. I'd actually planned to have the engineering symbol be a pin on its own similar to the pilot's wings, but I can't make it work, mostly because I can't make a decent gear that I can use to make three gears to interlock into a triangle pattern. So a gear with crossed wrenches is a bit too plain to be by itself. :( Which reminds me, if anyone has any other ideas for the engineering symbol, that'd be cool too. Anyway, this option is more about the two backgrounds I've shown above, but alternating for the different departments, i.e. a shield for medical and a circular background for science (which is basically an atom). And if you have ideas for the other departments, I'd like to hear that too. :)

Something else - If neither the shield nor the circular pin do anything for you and you have another idea of what to use, I'm open to suggestions.

And speaking of suggestions, I could use some for what to use as my symbols for the operations and the logistics departments, because I'm drawing a blank.

Apologies for stretching out everyone's screen, btw, it appears image resizing code doesn't work here like on SMF boards. :?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:17 pm

Stretching screens indeed -- I can't even see the whole image they're so big.

I like a circle better than a shield, though. Shield to me implies law enforcement.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:23 pm

Alelou wrote:Stretching screens indeed -- I can't even see the whole image they're so big.

The same thing.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Dusalis Drake
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dusalis Drake » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:28 am

CX could you use something like this for the gears...

Oh and I agree that the shield does look rather like law enforcement.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:46 am

Well, in case you were wondering just what I was wasting my time on over break when I wasn't wasting time watching movies or doing something with my family (or gaming), this is pretty much it. I'm very disappointed to say that I didn't get anywhere near as much done as I wanted to, and that my lack of Illustrator-fu is definitely showing in the uniforms and probably on some of the department pins as well.

So, to start things off, let's have a look at what I have done for the department symbols, which is to say the chrome pin version that would be worn on the service dress uniform variants.

Aquisitions, Supply & Financial Management

Communications

Dining Services

Engineering

Judge Advocate General Corps

Medical

Navigation

Operations & Logistics

Flight Operations (Qualified Pilot)

Science

Ranks (Note: These are the same on all uniforms where applicable, as UESPA has no worry about blending in to anything)

Officer

Enlisted

Uniforms (Note: I plan to do some enlisted versions of all of these, but I only have one done so far. I'm also bound to do some tweaking on these in the future)

Short Sleeve Service Uniform

Long Sleeve Service Uniform

Full Service Dress (Officer)

Full Service Dress (Enlisted)

Operational Duty Uniform (Undershirt Only) (Note: This would be pretty much the same for everyone, and yes, I did base these very heavily on what the US Coast Guard and NOAA Corps personnel wear)

Operation Duty Uniform (WIP) (Note: I still have some things to add to this, but I thought I'd give you a look at it since it took me such a long time to draw it. I'm not entirely satisfied with what I've done so far on this, and I'm thinking of adding some extra shoulder material similar to what BSG did on pretty much all of their uniforms. I still need to do the name patches, department patches (black or brown leather do you think?), and the officer rank patches for the shoulders or collar)

I could also use quite a bit of help for finishing up on the uniforms. For instance, if anyone has some good drawings of the ENT coveralls done from the same perspective as the drawings I've done, I'd really appreciate it if you could share them with me - the bigger the better, because I have some, but they're tiny.

And if anyone knows Illustrator, I was wondering if you knew how I could use a jpeg as the fill for a live paint group or an object, particularly if I could use a jpeg as a repeated pattern for that background, such as a camouflage pattern.

I could also use some opinions on the UEM uniforms, mostly to do with the color scheme to use. I've already decided to use the uniform from Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within as the basis for the design, but I'm having trouble deciding on the color scheme to use for it.

I could use WWII US Army colors:

Modern British Army colors:

US Marine colors:

Swiss Army colors:
(Could be too similar to UESPA colors)

Late 20th Century US Army colors:

Modern US Army colors:

I already have a fairly good bead on the Vulcans, Andorians, and Romulans as far as what I want to do with them, but I could use some hi-res reference pictures from the episode Stigma of this outfit:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:30 pm

^ Looks good, for the most part. :)

I'd not use the shields as background though. They would look too much like law enforcement badges, as you've stated before.

And I really don't like the Full Service Dress uniforms. I'd use a high collar, much like the jacket worn by Final Fantasy guy, maybe double breasted to distinguish it from the UEM.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”