Here's a thought

Romulans, phase-inverters, friendships, OH MY!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Here's a thought

Postby Alelou » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:32 pm

I haven't read a lot of Enterprise slash because Trip is often the guy going slash and I just can't buy that, but I could see some characters (like Malcolm) expanding their sexual preferences if it's well-written enough. Perhaps not completely switching, though. I would have to agree that's out of character. On the other hand, even then if it's well-written enough I'll sometimes go along for the ride. It's a lot easier for me to go along with than Archer-T'Pol stuff, anyway.

The joy of fanfic is that you can do whatever you want. I mean, look at Lady Rainbow's switcheroo series. You really can just play. It's fanfic. Go wild. If it's halfway decent, you'll find an audience.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:34 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:Or, while we're at it, we can have Phlox wake up one morning an Andorian.

Kinda like Deanna Troi woke up Romulan that one time? :lol:

Hmmm...I got all these plot bunnies hopping out of the garden. :lol: And yeah, my Switcheroo series was originally going to be a one-shot, but after I wrote "Whips, Chains and Plomeek Soup", I decided to take it further. ;) Just the possibilities of different scenarios is appealing to me as a fanfic writer.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:59 pm

I hold AinT in the same light as slash as far as character abuse, personally.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:48 pm

I dunno. After Twilight I can see AnT more than I can see Trip and Malcolm suddenly falling madly in love with each other. :roll:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:26 am

That's a reasonable point. But personally I find the friendship between Malcolm and Trip interesting enough to carry me along even in a story where TnT is ignored and there are all sorts of homeoerotic undertones, and I just can't maintain my interest in a story about a romance between T'Pol and Archer, unless it's in the context of a larger TnT theme. Maybe it's simply that when you get right down to it, wanting more Trip is my reason to read.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:46 am

Yes, I do enjoy Trip and Malcolm friendship stories as well. (Most preferably, the kind where TnT is at least referenced!) But, luckily for me, I'm dense about picking up on slashy subtext, which means I can continue to enjoy the story without realizing it's so-called "preslash."

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:01 am

I guess I'm over-sensitive, then, because I can't seem to read a story like the one Erin just sent in WITHOUT seeing subtext. And then I just think it's creepy because it runs so counter to the images I have of the characters in my head. Of course, I got into this whole thing because I found T'Pol's character intriguing. Didn't even think much of Trip until she jumped him. :lol:
Image sig by chrisis1033

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:17 am

^ You saw slashy subtext in that? Huh. I didn't at all. Although now that you mention it I suppose it's possible. But to me it was a friendship story, you know? Malcolm did come across as more sensitive than your average bloke, but then again since when is anyone on that ship average? (Except poor, underutilized Travis...)

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:12 am

Distracted wrote:I dunno. After Twilight I can see AnT more than I can see Trip and Malcolm suddenly falling madly in love with each other. :roll:

AinT is really, painfully misogynistic, and frankly there's more chemistry between Trip and Mal, though I'm not advocating for a romantic pairing there or anything. Even in Twilight it all seemed so horribly forced and contrived.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:58 pm

I agree with CX about slash. I have read a little of the fan fic slash but it does seem out of character when the canon characters are typed as straight and then written as gay in fan fic. Too bad they did not have any openly gay characters in any of the Star Trek series for the slash aficionados to play with. :?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:59 pm

I always wondered about Q. But I guess an all powerful superbeing can be any gender/orientation he or she prefers at the moment. And then there's Isis. Who can be a cat, or a girl, or, in my universe, whatever form s/he wants. Anything is possible in science fiction.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Neither under the sun and the moon of the real world.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:20 pm

blacknblue wrote:If somebody wants it, they are welcome to take this idea and run with it. I don't have the time or energy right now to do justice to the concept, and I don't know when or if I ever will. So I am tossing it out for public consumption. Whoever wants it can have it. If nobody wants it, oh well.

Summary:

After fifteen thousand years, the parent races had faded into oblivion. There were no more pure blooded Humans. No more Rihansuu, no more Vulcans. Only the Hukansuu, a hybrid species of ruthless conquerors spreading their fearful power like the wings of a mighty bird of prey across the stars. Not since the fall of the Tkon empire half a million years before had any breed dared to claim sovereignty over all four quadrants of the galaxy at once.

And finally, no one remained to stand against them. The slave races of the Alpha quadrants bowed their necks early. Those that refused, like the Klingons or the Andorians, were summarily eliminated. The Gamma quadrant had offered only token resistance, and the Dominion had fallen like a house of cards very early in the game. The shape shifters were simply too vulnerable, too dependent on their servants for survival. The Breen of the Beta quadrant had proven quite intriguing. Their unique biochemistry offered several useful products that had both medicinal and industrial applications. The Breen were promptly classified as a protected species and placed under quarantine where they could be protected and harvested.

Finally the Delta quadrant had fallen. When the last of the Borg had been ground into dust beneath the Empire's heels, the Hukansuu leadership came face to face with their most profound fear.

"What now?"

What? Is this the evil mirror universe?
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:22 pm

Mh...
Actually, you could be right, JT.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:53 am

justTripn wrote:
blacknblue wrote:If somebody wants it, they are welcome to take this idea and run with it. I don't have the time or energy right now to do justice to the concept, and I don't know when or if I ever will. So I am tossing it out for public consumption. Whoever wants it can have it. If nobody wants it, oh well.

Summary:

After fifteen thousand years, the parent races had faded into oblivion. There were no more pure blooded Humans. No more Rihansuu, no more Vulcans. Only the Hukansuu, a hybrid species of ruthless conquerors spreading their fearful power like the wings of a mighty bird of prey across the stars. Not since the fall of the Tkon empire half a million years before had any breed dared to claim sovereignty over all four quadrants of the galaxy at once.

And finally, no one remained to stand against them. The slave races of the Alpha quadrants bowed their necks early. Those that refused, like the Klingons or the Andorians, were summarily eliminated. The Gamma quadrant had offered only token resistance, and the Dominion had fallen like a house of cards very early in the game. The shape shifters were simply too vulnerable, too dependent on their servants for survival. The Breen of the Beta quadrant had proven quite intriguing. Their unique biochemistry offered several useful products that had both medicinal and industrial applications. The Breen were promptly classified as a protected species and placed under quarantine where they could be protected and harvested.

Finally the Delta quadrant had fallen. When the last of the Borg had been ground into dust beneath the Empire's heels, the Hukansuu leadership came face to face with their most profound fear.

"What now?"

What? Is this the evil mirror universe?

Not necessarily. Just an AU that came to me. Apparently nobody likes it. Oh well.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Return to “Non-Ship Fanfiction”