Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Got a question - requesting opinions

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Well said, HR. But, I must add, BnB stated above that the author wants the hero to
quickly forgive and forget
. I don't think any of this can be dealt with in a cursory manner if it's going to be believable.

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:39 am

Agreed! Going back to that love-story parameter of the secret being revealed--that revelation typically gives rise to conflict and puts the relationship in peril, which raises the stakes, adds momentum to the story, puts pressure on the hero and heroine, all kinds of juicy stuff. If the hero treated the Big Secret as a no-big-deal, given the nature of the secret, his reaction would not seem credible.

The road to a satisfying resolution (in most effectively told stories, at any rate) is paved with conflict, struggle, risk that all will be lost...and then, after a battle (figurative or literal), a well-earned victory--forgiveness given, love won, and the lovers hopefully a bit wiser for having gone through their struggle. Or whatever. I'm throwing out generic examples here because I don't know the writer's 3rd-act specifics.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:24 pm

Essentially, I was maintaining to the author that the hero might eventually be able to get past it, but the heroine would need to do some serious butt kissing. He, on the other hand, thought I was being unfair to the heroine because she had justifiable reasons for the deception. I replied that it didn't matter whether or not she had reasons. The hero would still FEEL betrayed. Even if he was willing to admit that she might have had what she she considered justification, his emotions would still be involved and he would still FEEL hurt.

We agreed to disagree. But I couldn't stop wondering if I was out of touch.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:16 pm

I think HR has the best handle on mythology and the possibilities of this story. A revelation of everyone's motives and conflicts can give the hero a lot of things to mull over. Were his parents complete innocents just living in the forest with no political agenda? Or were they also rebels and defending the hiding wizard without telling their son? I like complex ethical questions, but maybe this is just a simpler story? Even so, all aspects should be revealed and enter into the decision of the hero. I do think the hero would be upset with the object of his love at first as the story is explained so far. Whether he forgives her, leaves her, or finds out there is nothing to forgive is not clear yet about this story. It seems the author has not thought out or maybe does not want to include much complexity here. I think us folks at Triax are into stories with more substance than this story seems to have (at the momment) which I see as BnB's problem with this author. Bnb seems a deeper thinker and maybe that is good for this author to consider - if he wants to craft a better, more adult story. If he is writing a children's story, heck, have the sap forgive the girl and live happily ever after, etc.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:19 am

blacknblue wrote:Essentially, I was maintaining to the author that the hero might eventually be able to get past it, but the heroine would need to do some serious butt kissing. He, on the other hand, thought I was being unfair to the heroine because she had justifiable reasons for the deception. I replied that it didn't matter whether or not she had reasons. The hero would still FEEL betrayed. Even if he was willing to admit that she might have had what she she considered justification, his emotions would still be involved and he would still FEEL hurt.

We agreed to disagree. But I couldn't stop wondering if I was out of touch.

It seems to me that you both have valid points. The heroine's justifiable reasons for the deception should matter. So should the hero's feelings of hurt and betrayal. If they are both in the mix, there will be conflict resulting from the reveal of the secret, and the goal (a successful love relationship) will be in danger. Then both parties would need to work harder to achieve that goal.

"Butt-kissing"...I dunno if watching the heroine grovel would compel me to root for her, especially if the deception were justified. If both lovers were, say, forced by this crisis to reach deep down and find some quality within themselves that they didn't realize they had--courage, bravery, grace, compassion, forgiveness, humility, etc.--and in doing so, they were able to overcome the deception thing and make their love work...that would be cool. :)

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:53 pm

I can't help but notice how appropriate this topic is to you signature quote, HR.

HopefulRomantic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby HopefulRomantic » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:57 pm

Ha! I hadn't made the connection. :D But yes, that story deals with two people who care about each other, and a deception revealed in the worst possible way, with huge conflict resulting.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:14 am

HopefulRomantic wrote:Ha! I hadn't made the connection. :D But yes, that story deals with two people who care about each other, and a deception revealed in the worst possible way, with huge conflict resulting.

Oh yes! :D
Perfect! :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:14 am

HopefulRomantic wrote:Ha! I hadn't made the connection. :D But yes, that story deals with two people who care about each other, and a deception revealed in the worst possible way, with huge conflict resulting.

oh wait...

I'm writing one of those. :D
Writing as TrekPyro.

Return to “General Chat”