Unfair?

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Unfair?

Postby Navigator » Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:55 pm

7) One of these days fairly soon you know you're going to wake up needing some booty really BAD.

You know, Diet Coke really burns when you aspirate it up your nose. That was funny, really funny. And I know I am not adding anything of substance to the discussion.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Linda » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:31 pm

Many threads on other sites have discussed child bonding and the ethics of marriage Vulcan style. I was thinking of joining the conversation, but I think my take on Koss was best expressed in my story "The Commission" which is on this site. I like what Alelou posted a couple of comments back in this thread. And I know mine is a minority voice in a sea of Koss haters, but I (gulp) LIKE Koss. I thought the actor played him as an honest and sympathetic character. And I think in Koss's last scene where he releases T'Pol from the marriage, the character was played as almost in tears.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:08 pm

Yeah, I still think Koss' character is mixed at best.

He was willing to release her from the marriage but at that point it was just as concievable that he just didn't want to be a part of any more embarassment. It's impossible to distinguish, from what we saw, truly benevolent motives from self preservatory motives.

And also, let's not forget that one way or another he did extort marriage from her. On the one hand we're kind of saying "well maybe he DID care about her" but also saying "Vulcans don't generally have any concept of love". So either he didn't care about her and he was trying to extort marriage with his family's influence as leverage and then let her out of the agreement when it became clear that it was no longer practical, or he did care about her but he extorted marriage from her even though it didn't appear to be at all what she wanted.

One may be able to argue that he had one of those "I know what's better for you better than you do" complexes that are oh-so-common to arranged-marriage/patriarchially-dominated cultures but that didn't really come out.

When he said something like, "We WILL be married" and raised his eyebrows, I basically just saw a cold, resolved, unfeeling determination motivated by something wholly divorced of emotion or caring. It was more like ambition or just a meglomaniacal need to win.

Oh, and Alelou, you're right, I didn't mean to imply that ALL Vulcans' marriages were facades - I just meant that there would be some, if there were other Vulcans with emotions as close to the surface as T'Pol's. And out of the millions or billions of Vulcans, you're likely to see quite a few of these childhood matchups -- which are for all intents and purposes RANDOM -- lead to zero compatibility.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:35 pm

I hope I never will be in need of a lawyer, but if that should happen, I will call you, Elessar! :lol:

Anyway, joking aside, I agree with you.
In my opinion, your analysis is absolutely right.
But, Linda, that doesn't mean that I don't appreciate your ideas.
Because, at the bottom, Koss is really the result of his civilization.
And the point is exactly here.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:51 am

Anybody who had read my stuff knows what I think about Koss. But there are good things to be said about tradition too. I do not advocate blind adherence. But neither should a person be willing to throw away something that has stood the test of time just because they are bored. Sometimes, new ideas need just don't work out well. Betamax anyone?

But then, I am a product of the American tradition of rebellious independence. This particular tradition (rebellious independence) has stood the test of time so I see no reason to abandon it.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:07 am

Well said!
I like- very much - your pride of being what you are! :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “General Chat”