Learning Gunsmithing

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Learning Gunsmithing

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:56 am

How does one learn about gunsmithing?

Currently, I read a lot online about conversions between various firearms, and tweaks and modifications that require some machining, but I know from experience with PCs that the best way to learn this kind of hands-on skill is through practice. For awhile I was way intimidated by ever trying it, but when I was watching this video about converting the HK USC to a UMP and the guy mentioned dremmeling a cut in the mag well to recieve the UMP magazines, I went, "Hey!... I've done dremmel work on PCs. That doesn't sound so hard." Hell, I even got a mini-ITX Socket A board to accept a mobile Athlon Barton processor with a wire-pin mod... Eventually the board crapped out, but that's not the point! :lol:

The problem is that gunsmithing as an extension to gun enthusiasm as a hobby is quite expensive, especially for the tinkerer who might screw up, so I can't exactly just start playing around.

Do courses, introductory manuals, or something of the like exist?
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Mitchell
Commander
Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: Learning Gunsmithing

Postby Mitchell » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:23 pm

Id say your best bet, would be to track down a good gunsmith. Someone every Gun nut around you would refer you to. An ask This guy about learning Gunsmithing.

Cause I dont know about your area. But in Mine its not getting any easier to find any gunsmiths. :? An I doubt their gona be worried about compitition.
Heck you might even find a guy who would be willing to teach you himself.

But please dont compare Gunsmithin, to PC work. 8) I think that would be an insult to the entire metal working trade at large. Let alone the Gunsmithing trade. which IMO has to be even more precise then any other Metal working trade.
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Entilzha
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Entilzha » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:26 pm

It's not advisable to use a dremmel for such a work. Machining takes the right tools and skills. I wouldn't advise doing something like that by yourself it could end badly. I learned a little machining in vocational school and I can tell you it needs a lot of practice and skill and of course the right machinery. There is also the safety issue with machining you can easily loose body parts and even die if your not careful.
You live for The One, you die for The One.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:33 pm

From what I can tell there are two types of gunsmiths: the guys who make the guns and the guys who modify the guns (engraving, handle making, etc.) Both are technically considered gunsmiths.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:23 pm

thecursor wrote:From what I can tell there are two types of gunsmiths: the guys who make the guns and the guys who modify the guns (engraving, handle making, etc.) Both are technically considered gunsmiths.

Well I'm primarily talking about functional modifications like stripping the guts off a Mosin, buying a Steyr rifle stock and rebuilding it into that. That kind of thing.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:02 pm

My dad does some of that stuff. There are quite a few books you can buy that let you learn how to do that sort of thing. I'd check a gun store or two. Remember that just because a gun is modified, it might not make it better.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:32 am

thecursor wrote:My dad does some of that stuff. There are quite a few books you can buy that let you learn how to do that sort of thing. I'd check a gun store or two. Remember that just because a gun is modified, it might not make it better.

No, I know. It's not necessarily that objective, I just think it would be fun. Kinda like PC-modding... like I already related it to :D
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:20 pm

Go to http://www.brownells.com/ and select the Gun-Tech tab. There are all kinds of how-to's there. There are pretty much all the instructions there either in print or video one would need to assemble a custom 1911 or AR-15. Order the Brownells catalog. This will get you conversant with the terminology.

Also go here http://www.midwayusa.com/gunsmithing. These guys are located fairly close to you. Poke around their site they have good info also.

Nav

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:32 pm

Navigator wrote:Go to http://www.brownells.com/ and select the Gun-Tech tab. There are all kinds of how-to's there. There are pretty much all the instructions there either in print or video one would need to assemble a custom 1911 or AR-15. Order the Brownells catalog. This will get you conversant with the terminology.

Also go here http://www.midwayusa.com/gunsmithing. These guys are located fairly close to you. Poke around their site they have good info also.

Nav

Thanks, Nav.

Yeah, I've seen some of MidwayUSA's shows on Guns & Ammo TV.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:44 pm

You're welcome. There are a lot of things that you can do with basic and I mean BASIC hand tools. Start with something simple, build on that. Most (but not all) firearms benefit from interchangeable parts in like guns. In modern ones, hand fitting is avoided as much as possible, so it is possible for the average person to do some of his or her own repairs, stuff like that.

First tools you need to buy are a set of gunsmith screwdrivers. Never use a regular screwdriver on a gun. Almost all screws in a gun have parallel slots on the screws. A regular screw driver will ruin that in a second.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:57 pm

Instead of modding the gun itself, you might consider starting off with modding the stock. or in the case of a pistol, modding the grips. There are a lot of things you can do to customize the stock or grip of a gun to make it uniquely your own, without affecting the operation of the gun in the slightest.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:38 am

blacknblue wrote:Instead of modding the gun itself, you might consider starting off with modding the stock. or in the case of a pistol, modding the grips. There are a lot of things you can do to customize the stock or grip of a gun to make it uniquely your own, without affecting the operation of the gun in the slightest.

Yeah, I've looked at getting some hogue grips for my .45 Ruger and if I ever get a standard 1911, I'd like to get USMC grips for them :)
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:11 am

One of the easiest ways to mod a gun is to put new sights on it. or if it has a clip you can use a modified clip. For example, I bought an extended clip for my .22 semi-auto rifle. Things like that might be a way to get your feet wet.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:16 am

Yeah, I've used high capacity mags for my Ruger pistol, but I can't find high capacity mags for my Savage 22
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “General Chat”