The Whine thread.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Bether6074
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby Bether6074 » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:36 am

Yeah, I've read that before too. We use regular soap in our house as well. No antibacterial. When I had my first child, the literature said put him to sleep on his belly and keep him away from the pets if you don't want him to become allergic. Then it was put them on their backs and don't try to protect them from germs. It gets confusing. I suppose we are always learning new things. Funny thing is, Abby had a flu shot. Must be some variant strain or maybe she didn't get it as badly as she would have without the shot. I'm the only one in the house who didn't get vaccinated. Oh well. Too late now. :?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:41 am

Hope she feels better soon ... and you stay healthy!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:08 am

I avoid antibacterial soap in my house, too. I also try to do most of my cleaning with a bleach solution whenever possible--with bleach you don't have to worry about bacteria becoming resistant; you just either kill the germs or you don't.

Another thing people forget about antibacterial soaps is that they're not antiviral or antifungal, so sometimes you can make things worse by making your skin uninhabitable for bacteria. For example, everyone has yeast cells on their body, and certain benign forms of bacteria keep those yeast cells from overpopulating. If you kill that bacteria and make your skin hostile to its growth, you can end up with a propensity toward chronic fungal infections.

Plain old everyday soap is a surfactant, which means it'll generally remove all three from your body without changing the environment. When trying to avoid things like getting sick, it's generally just as effective to remove the germs and rinse them down the drain as it is to kill them, without the nasty byproduct of creating resistant bacteria.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:39 am

I do most of my general cleaning with a spray bottle of vinegar and maybe a little scrub of borax now. Bleach is extremely potent -- it will take the surface right off a formica counter, for example, and then every drip will stain it. It's also not so good for the environment when it gets into the water table. I save it for when I really need to kill something, and actually I find either vinegar or occasional hydrogen peroxide does that just fine, even for sterilizing the pots I use for seed starting. This has been a shift for me since I used to clean the stainless steel sink by filling it with bleach and water and do the dishwasher with something that reeked of bleach, but I've enjoyed the change to more ecological stuff, especially getting rid of that awful bleach smell which was beginning to bother me more and more. I swear by Ecover products, though some of them are getting awfully expensive lately and I've been trying to switch down. (Unfortunately a lot of "eco" stuff doesn't work at all well.)
Image.Image

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:52 am

Okay another whine... sorry for being so whiny today but the frelling Azureus is pissing me off. Again. :? :evil: Like of all the download clients I've tried it's like the least of all evils, but I swear some stuff just makes me wanna go find whoever designed that program and hit them on the head for all the retarded protocol dren they put in there. Like I'm still downloading Captain Planet, and like obviously there's lots of files, and I prioritize the episode I wanna download first and like I said in another whine for some reason Azureus doesn't pay much attention to priorities, and so if I really want it to finish downloading a certain file before all the others sometimes I have to resort to temporarily cancelling all the other files in the torrent. This time I only resorted to this when there was only one piece left because that frelling piece was stuck there for hours without progress even though it was available from like 22 peers. What the frell. Thing is when I have to temporarily cancel everything else, I have to uncancel it BEFORE it finishes downloading the last piece or otherwise I shall face the dire consequences in the form of the Evil Hash Check of Doom. Which:

* Slows all the other downloads down

* Slows the computer down

* Takes (read: wastes) a really long time especially with such large downloads

* Dumps all the pieces currently downloading, which is especially annoying with the big ass 4mb pieces (which you guessed it, is the case here) that take forever to download and some of them are like almost done or halfway through etc, GAAAHHHHH!!

* IS LIKE TOTALLY UNNECESSARY!! I mean like okay I get it when it has to do a hash check for like unfamiliar torrents like stuff that started downloading on another client or whatever, but why in all hells does it have to check a torrent that's already open!! It doesn't make any sense!!! Gah make it stop!!

And like I DID go and uncancel all the other files *just* before it finished that last piece, but then it dropped the piece at 255 blocks and of course frolicked away to other irrelevant pieces as if priority isn't supposed to mean anything. ONE BLOCK!! Is that too much to ask?? And like I know many times it drops the speed just before it finishes a piece but it doesn't really drop the piece, it finishes downloading it with the residual momentum or whatever. And sometimes it just drops a piece until it feels like picking it up again. So I waited for "residual momentum", and waited and waited but it just dropped the piece. So since it could stay like that forever waiting for that last block (which was available from 22 PEERS!! :evil: ) I had to go cancel all the other files again, but of course a tiny block that's available from so many peers downloads instantly (which is what this stupid program was supposed to do in the first place) and so I didn't have time to uncancel the rest of the files before it finished it. Hence the Evil Hash Check of Doom.

It's not the first time it happened unfortunately I've had this unnecessary craziness with other downloads before but so far I restrained myself from whining, but I've had it it's just PISSING ME OFF. STOP IT ALREADY!!!
ImageImage

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:01 am

Aquarius wrote:I don't know who I feel worse for: Priso and the little ones for the physical suffering, or enterprikayak for having to juggle all that at the same time! :shock:

Feel worst for me.

Yesterday I took the bairn in to the doctors just to check her cold out. No big deal.

Well, the doc didn't like the sound of her chest and so BOOM here we are, 24 hrs later, still in the darn hospital. She hasn't any fever or infection...just a lot of phlegm in her chest. They are giving her some Ventalin to inhale to keep her lungs clearer and they're vacuuming out her nose every couple of hours.

There's no food for me though, since (even though I'm hacking and sick) I'm not the patient. Of course, I HATE this hospital's "food substance product" that they foist on the sick people anyhow, so I'm just as happy to starve.

Priso's been bringing me subway. We can't even trade off nights as I have to breastfeed. Darn it!

**WHIIIIINE**

However, unlike T'Poptarts, I will get a bill for $0. So I won't whine too too much. ;)
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:35 am

enterprikayak wrote:However, unlike T'Poptarts, I will get a bill for $0. So I won't whine too too much. ;)

I hate you :(

Another whine: I'm hungry :( and I got plenty food. But I think either all my food in the freezer had gone bad, or something happened to my taste and smell, every time I taste or smell the food it makes me wanna :upchuck: , and dammit I'm hungry I tried to force myself a-la Fear Factor but had to throw it away, and I don't even know if it's actually bad or maybe it's just me because I had no appetite for like a week and it only came back like 3 days ago so maybe it's still funky I dunno, and hell it doesn't even taste or smell weird it's all normal WTF. :? :dunno: Maybe they forgot to plug the fridge back in when they were painting the kitchen and left it unplugged for too long or something. Gah I'm hungry :(
ImageImage

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:59 am

I hate you :(

:lol: Awwww, I hate you too sweetie. :D If I had any yummy food, I'd send it to ya. :hug:
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:44 am

Whine: I'm crapping water. :( I have apparently managed to find something even worse than the usual hacking my lungs out type flu that usually makes me want it all to be over.

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Sat Feb 07, 2009 1:48 pm

The wonders of stomach flu. Crapping out water and high fever oh the joy. Soldier on CX. Last time I had stomach flu the worst part was the high fever that climbed from 37 degrees Celsius to 39.8 degrees Celsius in half a day. I felt like my bones were gonna boil.
You live for The One, you die for The One.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:23 pm

CX wrote:Whine: I'm crapping water. :( I have apparently managed to find something even worse than the usual hacking my lungs out type flu that usually makes me want it all to be over.

Just be glad you're not doing it while at the same time gagging the last meal you ate into a bowl in your lap... :evil:
Image.Image

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:18 pm

Here's Abby in the hospital with oxygen up her nose. :(

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:21 pm

:) :( :)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:22 pm

I know, hey? Sad but cute.. :)

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:47 pm

POOR WEE THING! :(
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Return to “General Chat”