Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Randomness

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:12 am

Now I wanna watch those episodes again.

Oh yeah and how they have Kelowna in outer space but it's also the name of a place in Canada... but then again isn't Canada in outer space :twisted: :badgrin: :p

I SO miss SG1 :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
ImageImage

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Have a nice vacation, Ktr! :wave:

That's great that you hve found time to help out by joining the admin group, Aquarius! :thumbsup:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:34 pm

^Yeah, I think it will be fun! :D
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:06 pm

Well this is pretty random, but in a week and a few days I'm going to the Texas Star Party again! I'm going to be driving down with my friend Ed. He called last night to make plans and he says we'll have to stop every 5 hours to get gas and we will have a big cooler so we don't have to stop to eat and a big jug of tea. :lol: Hmmm . . . we stop every 5 hours and there is a big jug of tea. I pointed out the flaw in his plan. He assures me that won't be a problem because his tea doesn't have caffene in it, because he lets it sit and the caffine binds with the tannic acid. That would be nice. I hope we are still friends when we arrive in Texas after this 24 hour drive :lol:
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:13 pm

LOL. A tea geek. I hope you have a great time, and that your bladder does too. :)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:51 pm

If you were a Klingon you might have a spare bladder. They have redundant body parts. 8)
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:48 pm

Linda wrote:If you were a Klingon you might have a spare bladder. They have redundant body parts. 8)

:lol: That's awesome. It also reminds me that I once, in high school, compiled a list: "You Know You're a Klingon When" and "You Know You're a Vulcan When." Pity that computer crashed and I haven't got it any more.

I also think that perhaps, at the rate Klingons seem to imbibe blood wine, maybe they have an extra liver too.

On an entirely different note:

I will not read the movie spoiler thread. I will not read the movie spoiler thread. I will not read the movie spoiler thread... but it's practically mocking me!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:58 pm

And I WILL NOT READ the Movie spoiler thread. LA, La, la, la, la . . . *fingers in the ears*

:lol:

I'm in good practice for spoiler evading, since a friend just walked in to tell me all about the last "House."
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:49 pm

Yes! Another holdout! *high-fives jT*

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:08 am

While listening to Elbow's - "Asleep in the back" (album) today it struck me that it could be a good TnT track. Personally I was thinking of "Any day now " (even though lyrically it has NOTHING to do with TnT, but meh) and "Scattered black and whites", the later was more of an Tucker family one for me though. Certainly not the usual track types for this sort of thing, but meh. I'm different like that. Youtube links follow lyrics

Elbow - Any day now wrote:What's got into me? Can't believe myself!
Must be someone else. Must be someone else. Must be,

Any day now hows about getting out of this place. Any ways.
Got a lot of spare time. Some of my youth and all of my senses on overdrive.(x4)

What's got into me? Can't believe myself!
Lately,

Any day now hows about getting out of this place. Any ways.
Got a lot of spare time. Some of my youth and all of my senses on overdrive.
(x6)

Don't play Coltrane you will sleep at the wheel
Eyes on-horizon. Don't sleep at the wheel. (x2)

Elbow - Scattered black and whites wrote:Been climbing trees I've skinned my knees
My hands are black the sun is going down
She scruffs my hair in the kitchen steam
She's listening to the dream I weaved today
Crosswords through the bathroom door
While someone sings the theme-tune to the news
And my sister buzzes through the room leaving perfume in the air
And that's what triggered this.
I come back here from time to time
I shelter here some days.

A high-back chair. He sits and stares
A thousand yards and whistles
Marching-band (Boom-ching)
Kneeling by and speaking up
He reaches out and I take a
Massive hand. Disjointed tales
That flit between short trousers
And a full dress uniform
And he talks of people ten years
Gone like I've known them all my life
Like scattered black 'n' whites….

Elbow - Any day now
Elbow - Scattered black and whites

I'm afraid I have read the spoiler thread, but for me they don't detract from going to see the film. I find that it adds to it tbh :D
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks, Dark Rain!

And JT and JK, uh... too late for me, I already read the spoilers thread and elevated my blood pressure. :?

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Dark Rain, what's the Bluebird Project? I tried clicking on your avatar and of course that didn't get me anywhere. :lol:

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:30 pm

It's a reconstruction of Donald Campbell's Bluebird K7.

I'm not sure if you know the story, but on the second run on Coniston water of the boat, there (I'm not totally sure here) was a sudden loss of thrust (looks like an engine stall if you watch the footage) which basically caused the stern to drop and create masses of drag, and at 300mph you can guess the rest. Anyway, the boat was recovered by a team in 2001 and Donald was laid to rest properly. A few years ago work on the reconstruction of the boat began. That's what the projects about.

The bluebird project website

The idea is that the boat will be run a few times a year as a show piece, and Gina wishes to drive her father's vessel as well.

I'm sure that the website can explain things better than I can.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:19 pm

Hey, this is an exciting project, Dark Rain. I see from the web site that Donald Campbell died in 1967, the year that I graduated from high school and went on to the university. And my great-grandfather died in the North Sea in 1911, a crewman on a barge which was cut loose from the tug which was towing it when a storm came up. So mention of the North Sea had an echo for me. Then in 1913 his daugther, my grandmother, immigrated to the U. S. with her husband. Her widowed mother came too, not wanting to be left alone in Beith, Scotland. The Blue Bird is fascinating. A jet boat with a rather large engine! I have a boat on Lake Michigan but it is a cabin cruiser with just a plain old gasoline engine - 233 hp. with cruising speed of 18 knots, top speed 26 knots. Thanks for giving that link to the Blue Bird site. :D

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:26 am

Alelou wrote:It looks intriguing, BnB, though I know you write nice meaty (LONG) chapters so I can't quite get into it until I get the frickin' taxes done. Why don't you set up your own thread for it and see if that draws a few people in?

I can tell you my first reaction, thinking like a book agent (all they think about is some reason to reject you): Oh no, the hero is over 100? He'd better fix that quickly or he'll lose everyone who didn't love Benjamin Button. But I suspect you will fix that quickly. Also suspect your girl there is supposed to be the moral equivalent of The Dumb Chick Who Accidentally Destroys the Universe, but I may be wrong. That's where I left off for now.

(And hey, is that a new chapter of Lerterian Chronicles?) :drool:

This is becoming a bad habit again.

Final post on this subject, since it doesn't really belong on this board. The fourth chapter of my book is up on my blog. BTW, the hero is not over 100, and the heroine is not The Dumb Chick etc. The guy over 100 is a supporting character. The heroine is a researcher/historian.

The first 3 chapters are essentially rewrites of earlier work that I started back in 2000. Chapter 4 is completely new, I just finished it tonight. It represents a complete break with the older version. You might say chapter 4 is the first part of the book that was written by BnB.

Anyway, that's all I will say about it here. Happy Easter to everyone who celebrates it.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Return to “General Chat”