The Male Brain

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

The Male Brain

Postby justTripn » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:58 pm

Science explaining the male brain. I didn't know where this best fit, Daily Science? Trip and T'Pol (understanding Trip)? Fanfic writing (writing Trip)? General chat (understanding each other)? But it's interesting:

The Male Brain
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Re: The Male Brain

Postby Alelou » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:12 pm

Interesting article. Though I'm not sure ALL men get hooked the way she thinks. I think there is a certain percentage of males who lack that oxytocin bonding process. (And they all seem to show up on Judge Judy...)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pegmumm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Like this is a secret?
Wait til you get into research on female body builders... then things get more than a bit dicey.

Hormones don't make up the sum total of what we are.
It's nature and nurture in combination.
To say that testosterone drives all behaviors is doing men a disservice.
It's just not that simple as this article makes it sound.

Y'all ought to read up on what estrogen does to both the female and male brains. And remember prolactin production is a side effect of pot.

Damn, it will give you nightmares.
peg

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:50 pm

I don't care too much for the generalization of these aspects of thinking and temperament as being "all male". There are undoubtedly differences between the male and female brain, but there are also great complexities within each individual and their own personality.

Human beings are wired and programmed to make babies and raise them in environments in which are healthy to do so. So a lot of these behaviors have a purpose as well, even if at times they are misplaced. In saying that, I've met some very emotional men and some very intellect based women. I see that as more of an individual response than simply men versus women. Human beings are not so cut and dry as to be categorized this easily.

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pegmumm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Bether6074 wrote: Human beings are not so cut and dry as to be categorized this easily.

Exactly.
peg

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:41 pm

What does it say about my male brain when the first thought that popped into my head when I saw that article was "hey, that redhead lady doctor who wrote that is rather cute"? :lol:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:02 pm

:lol:

I'd say that proves you're male and straight.

So what about the trance I get into when I see a set of hot abs and the analytical way I deal with my kids and my husband when they get sick? I guess that means my brain works like a man's. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pegmumm » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:34 am

Distracted wrote::
So what about the trance I get into when I see a set of hot abs 8)

Ohhh... don't do that.
aarrgggh....

(trying hard to think of water polo....)
grrr... that's not helping either.
:dunno:
peg

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:09 am

Distracted wrote::lol:

I'd say that proves you're male and straight.

So what about the trance I get into when I see a set of hot abs and the analytical way I deal with my kids and my husband when they get sick? I guess that means my brain works like a man's. 8)

I'm wondering if testosterone rises in women as they get older, because I feel like those ab trances (or arm trances, in my case) are more intense today than they were when I was a young chiquita.

And of course you respond to illness analytically. You are a doctor by training, and probably mostly taught by a bunch of guys... (But I bet that even when you're being analytical you're very aware of how your family patients are responding to your analysis.)

I didn't think the article really spoke so much to whether someone is analytical or emotional, but how they tend to express those things. It made good sense to me, although she ignored the broad ranges within each gender -- I assumed the author was dealing with the middle of the bell curve in order to write something that was highly readable rather than academic.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:30 am

Believe the woman missed a few things. Women say that men tune them out. Some men do. It is a defense mechanism. Women at time prattle when a man is trying to think or is engrosed in soemthing so he tunes her out. I turn off my Hearing aids. My wife has a habit of coming to a room where I may be reading, Watching TV, on the computer or otherwise occupied. She starts talking, She wants me to stop and Look at her while she is talking. I tell her I can listen to her and cotinue doing some things. But she insists that I look at her. Irritates Hell out of me so I tune her out and let her prattle.

Another defense thing a male brain develops after the man is married for a while: A woman NEVER forgets. My wife will say "You said, and bring up something I said 30 years ago. So, a male, if he issmart, is very careful what he says to his wife because it will come back to haunt him someday.

I like silence at a meal (Vulcn that way) my wife loves to talk during a meal. So, again I tune he out.

Wife and I have a good marriage but it takes work. that is where the male Brain defenses comes in.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:33 am

Quite honestly, the article made sense to me, too,Alelou. I'm just weird. I don't respond to some things the way a woman usually does. You're right about med school. It did something to my brain. :lol:
Image sig by chrisis1033

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:02 am

Five minutes later, while we're still fuming, he's deciding whether he wants ribs or chicken for dinner.
:lol:

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:24 pm

I think maybe it is a thing with me. I tend to get a bit trigger-ish around labels and categorizations. Now that I'm delving into psychology stuff, I do know that motivations for human behavior are extremely complex and can't be so easily defined, though, as simply male or female. There are so many factors which play a part...past life experiences and the feelings and emotions aroused by them, family dynamics and the order of balance, human evolutionary factors, temperament styles, coping methods...I could go on and on. Anyhow, as an "in general" type of thing, the article make its points. I just think it's more complicated and deeper than "in general". I'd love to write one of these type of articles myself one day. Might be fun. :) Interesting stuff.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:26 pm

I found this on the psychology site I often visit. Somehow, I'm not surprised.

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/mindfulne ... ontroversy

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 pm

It's strange how things (and thoughts) never change and recur, constantly, along the time.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Return to “General Chat”