The Whine thread.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:57 am

Okay now I'm annoyed! Bad enough the KOTOR site is having problems with me doing fic there, dang stupid hackers! Hacking bad guys is one thing, but leave fansites alone you mean people!!!!!! But now, my beta sent me my revised V'Lar chapter, only she changed my .doc file to a .wps file and the stupid thing won't open!!!! :explode: :bitch: Yes I'm snappish, I appologize. But I feel like the fic gods are conspiring against me...

First KOTOR site gets hacked and out of comission for over a year, then it won't let me alter my fics, then I lose my KOTOR beta... Now I can't even work on ENT! Not fair!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Yashida
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby Yashida » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:46 am

Not fair indeed!

You got my sympathy!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 am

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I'm really ticked off, I wanted to revise this ENT chapter so people would have something before I go to work on some other interests for a bit.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:18 am

Do you have Microsoft Works? It comes free on most Windows computers (look in the programs>accessories folder). That will allow you to open it and save it as a .doc or a .txt file or even an .rtf file, and those last two should definitely open in Word.

Otherwise, the person who saved it in that format ought to be able to save it in txt or rtf for you even if she doesn't have Word.

There are converter programs too, but I can't vouch for any of them.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:23 am

Nope I have OpenOffice, my brother who doesn't like Windows much took works off my PC when he took windows off to put Sabayon on it. Well I HATED Sabayon. And after a very long arguement and a few threats, I got Windows again but he drew the line at Works. Much to my extreme annoyence, because he knows I'm completely broke and can't do it myself! So OpenOffice is a bane in my turbulent existence. This Sunday brother and I are having a long talk about all the ways he's screwed my PC up over the last 3 years!

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:37 am

Have you checked the openoffice site to see if they have a converter file that will work for that?
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:38 am

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:05 am

Of course you can create and open up Word files in OpenOffice. That's the whole point of it - having a free program so you don't have to actually buy the Microsoft stuff.

ETA: Nevermind, that's not what you asked.
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:09 am

Oh I'm not bothering to try and figure this out. I know my limits. I'm gonna see my brother on sunday promise him and his wife a delicious dinner, (a bribe to get some time with my niece) and when they come over, sit him down and demand he make my life easier!

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:11 am

Can't your beta just send it to you as an .rtf file? She's the one who messed up your file extension in the first place. It's not hard to do a save as .rtf.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:17 am

I don't know what that is, :dunno: I appreciate the help I really do, but seriously I am very bad at all this stuff. I'd probably click the wrong thing and fry my computer completely the poof no more fanfic for ENT or Kotor. Better just wait for my bro, needed to vent.

Fics

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:36 pm

WarpGirl wrote::banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: I'm really ticked off, I wanted to revise this ENT chapter so people would have something before I go to work on some other interests for a bit.

You've got my sympathy for the PC problems but wait, what? Finishing with ENT? "Other interests"? :(

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Have no fear Cogito I'm not leaving forever. Just need some time to grow creatively, and spend some time in my original fandom. I love TnT, I do. But sometimes I feel very confined within a set of bounderies so I don't make people angry. When I started in fanfic I actually started in video games. Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic... The nice thing about working on an RPG is that you have a lot of freedom in determining the main character because no two are the same, and even the story to an extent. With TV it's a lot different, people can't be as original because someone will always say, "hey wait this episode says..." so I miss having a place to take some serious risks without fear of offending people. But I'm not leaving, just going to finish some stuff I've been working on for years. And I'm not going to do it all at once, I'll alternate.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:11 pm

.rtf is simply a rich text format file. It's a simple text file that retains italics and bolds. It cannot fry your computer no matter what you do with it unless, I suppose, your friend sends you a malicious virus along with it. In the bad old days when people on Macs and PCs couldn't swap .doc files easily, the .rtf format was their best friend. For people who rely on the unsociable Works program for word processing, it is still a good friend.
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:26 pm

Well I don't know when I'll talk to her again, so it's probably just better to get someone to open the dang thing from my e-mail. The problem with having a minor beta for you is that they get grounded. But I've got no other options unless people want me to submit my work raw, and that would be embarrassing.

Fics

Return to “General Chat”