Why I think Vulcans are Humans with pointed ears

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Why I think Vulcans are Humans with pointed ears

Postby panyasan » Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:45 am

We all are here because something about TnT struck us and made us read and write. When you write, you take what you think should be told about TnT, using your own context and writing your own specific story. You use the sources and ideas who have to create your own world. For example I used images and atmosphere of Celtic/Middle ages christianity for the Vulcan ceremony in Whisper, my favorite Kanji for a Vulcan symbol and the way a Japanese friend of me made and treated her tea in a scene of T'Pol making tea.
It's the fun of writing and creating: you make your own world(s).
However, I think if you write a story about the Star Trek couple Trip and T'Pol, you should use the framework the serie(s) has given us. There are many differences between Human and Vulcan. You can say there are illogical or unscientific, but there are the tools we have to work with. Otherwise it wouldn't be a Star Trek story.
Differences that I would use as frame work are:
- biological: ears, blood, place of the heart, male Pon Farr, strength and endurance
- emotional: Vulcans are telepaths, through touch they can register emotions. My own theory is that Vulcans are so sensitive, emotions will enter their mind with great force, creating chaos. Hence the need for control and order.
- mind: ability to meld minds, several different possiblities then a human brain.
- cultural: showing emotions in a more or less public setting is seen as losing control, hence

All these are reasons I don't think Vulcans are Humans with pointed ears. Differences can created great story telling, so I don't mind.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:49 pm

I think I must give some clarifications, but, first of all, allow me to thank all people who wanted to add their comments in regard to this peculiar topic.

I was perfectly aware that I would be isolated as for my opinions; maybe they could be understood, yes, but shared surely not. And, most likely, even their comprehension would be difficult, but you have to forgive me: in my own language I normally manage to be fluent, but in English language... that's another thing.

Right from antiquity, Humanity wanted to search for beings different from us: Aliens. It's the charm of the unknown, the search for marvel, for wonderfulness.
That's also basis of the Science Fiction. Consequently, I can perfectly understand those who have demurred that my vision is restrictive.

For Pete's sake! I want Aliens in Star Trek! I want an alien T'Pol! Asso, but do you understand that all you said reduces significantly all the charm she has?

Be sure, my friends, I completely agree with all of you.
And, actually, I didn't mean that T'Pol (and Vulcans) aren't Aliens: they are. My vision doesn't contrast with their Alienity. After all, even if I searched for some scientific explanation able to make less childlike the way with which the Authors attempted to make Vulcans (and not only them) Aliens, I don't think they are not Aliens.
Certainly, for me there's no need of green blood or mind meld in order to make Vulcans Aliens, but this is another story, totally different.
Nevertheless, I think it's necessary that I underline a fact. We must be conscious that when we try to justify a so called Alien behaviour, saying that it is thus because it is Alien, in reality we are making a mistake. That behaviour is one of our behaviours, it belongs to us. That's why I never will say: T'Pol, or Spook, or Tuvok acted in this way because they are Aliens: they acted in this way because they are T'Pol, or Spook, or Tuvok. Individual Beings coming from different places. They are what they are because they grown there, and - being intelligent and sentient - they can - and must - learn from diversity. Woe, if things weren't in this way.

I don't know if I managed to clarify that when I say that for me Vulcans are Humans with pointed ears, it doesn't mean that for me Vulcans aren't Aliens. They are, but their Alienity is for me REALLY another thing. And, above all, it is infinitely less important than their similarity to us.

Mh... however I must say that the replies I have read on this topic sound a little "emotional". Mh… what could you think if I change my sentence in this way? Why I think that Humans are Vulcans with rounded ears. :lol:

Oh well... now my impish mind is pulling me to open another topic:
Why I think Vulcan Logic is illogical :twisted:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:35 pm

Vulcans are Humans with pointed ears, it doesn't mean that for me Vulcans aren't Aliens

This may be a language problem, Asso, but this statement seems to be saying two things at the same time. T'Pol is either alien or she is human. Alien means not human. Here's what the dictionary says:

alien beings: extraterrestrial, unearthly, otherworldly; Martian, Jovian, Venutian

Vulcans are not human. They are humanoid, and share some characteristics with humans - owing to the fact that they have common, seeded DNA in trek canon. However, human means from Earth, and we can assume with an Earth POV and Earth Culture. T'Pol is a full blooded Vulcan with Vulcan POV and Vulcan culture. Exploring the differences is what many of us find so compelling about the Trek universe. Yes, Vulcan culture took its inspiration from an amalgam of various human civilizations - but the end result is something different but equal to Terran.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:41 pm

Honeybee, please, pay attention to my first post on this topic.
BTW, dictionaries are written by Humans. They have their limits, unfortunately (dictionaries and Humans).

Anyway evidently I don't manage to make understandable what I think.
I was so content, when I saw the first reply I got, the one from Aikiweezie. Then she specified her thoughts, and so I understood that I am alone.

What a pity.

I give up.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:29 pm

Why am I suddenly reminded of The Sokal Affair?
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:38 am

honeybee wrote:Why am I suddenly reminded of The Sokal Affair?

Why, Honeybee?

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:17 am

Asso wrote:Nevertheless, I think it's necessary that I underline a fact. We must be conscious that when we try to justify a so called Alien behaviour, saying that it is thus because it is Alien, in reality we are making a mistake. That behaviour is one of our behaviours, it belongs to us.
If you are trying to say that Vulcans and Humans are both motivated in their actions by things like love for family/man/woman, pride, (un)selfischness, the quest for knowlegde, to name a few, only in a different way and with different choices, I think you have a point.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:22 pm

panyasan wrote:
Asso wrote:Nevertheless, I think it's necessary that I underline a fact. We must be conscious that when we try to justify a so called Alien behaviour, saying that it is thus because it is Alien, in reality we are making a mistake. That behaviour is one of our behaviours, it belongs to us.
If you are trying to say that Vulcans and Humans are both motivated in their actions by things like love for family/man/woman, pride, (un)selfischness, the quest for knowlegde, to name a few, only in a different way and with different choices, I think you have a point.

Thanks, Panyasan. But (and this descends from my personal vision) in reality I want also to say that these different choices and these different ways are the same which would be done by us if we were in the place of the Vulcans. It's difficult to explain what I think. I try: if it's true that Vulcans are our projection (irrespective of the fact that we think of them as Aliens), every time we say that they make a certain choice because they are Aliens, in reality we make them do one thing that we think they could do, they being Aliens: But the aliens are ourselves.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:38 am

For those who want to understand, I repeat that Vulcans are Humans with pointy ears and bad haircuts, and I hope that in regard to my opinion this can be the last statement.
Sometimes the humorous Asso is not too much humorous.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:20 pm

Sometimes the Humerous Assso is not humerous but he is always ASSO which is important to this Board.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Return to “General Chat”