Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Beauty/body image, society and everything that's wrong with

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Bether6074 wrote:As I've said before, being physically attracted to someone may indeed reel you in, but that alone will not make a relationship last. It's compatability and friendship that matter in the end. I believe that anyway.
YES!

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:59 pm

Blackn'Blue, you are of course, quite right.

no bullshit attitude

That's the wee bit that has to do with your handle, yes? Very Happy
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:18 pm

blackn'blue wrote:The whole concept of trying to be what someone else wants you to be comes from lack of self-confidence. Learn to be proud of who you are and tell the world to kiss your hairy ass. That's all you have to do.

And any healthy person is attractive, no matter how they are made. A healthy person is neither floppy fat nor rail thin. A person who is truly healthy is going to have the proper amount of body fat for their physiology. A healthy person is neither too muscle bound to comb their own hair, nor too frail to pick up a fork. They move easily and smoothly, with grace and dignity. A healthy person smiles readily, has a sparkle in their eye, and a spring in their step.

A healthy person is also healthy in mind. They like themselves, they are always willing to like and accept other people for who they are, because they can accept THEMSELVES for who they are. That is part of what makes them healthy. And people like that are very attractive.

The rest of it is personal taste. Beauty really is in the eye of the beholder. For my taste, I prefer short, freckled, curly brunettes with voluptuous curves, sparkling brown eyes that snap with fire, strong but not bulky arms and legs, a button nose, full lips, and a no bullshit attitude. So that is who I married. To each their own.

BnB, you said it better than I ever could....especially that "kiss your hairy ass" part. Laughing I agree 100%! Thumbs Up

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:59 pm

It should be understood that when I'm comparing and contrasting looks and body styles and butt shapes like a pair of running shoes at Footlocker it's assumed that I'm just speaking within the parameters of physical attributes. To say I'd find ___ kind of woman (as described physically) most attractive is not to indicate that that's a sufficient condition for, say, marrying her. I've encountered a number of women that I can stand back and appraise and realize are not as physicall attractive as I might like, but has a personality or a habit that just drives me nuts. Independent, unpredictable, and even a flash of militancy really gets me goin more than anything Laughing
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:16 pm

I was going to say that in my experience the difference between men showing an interest in me (at my age that consists of them discretely asking if I am married or volunteering that they are not) and me being invisible in that way is about 12 pounds. (More attention on the thinner side.) So if you are at that age where your are in the market for a significant other, by all means, lose those five or ten pounds. Go for it! And men, go ahead and lift those weights. It will improve your attractiveness and exponentially improve your odds of success.

In the long run, however, function matters more than size and shape. Being pregnant (ridiculously hugely pregnant with twins, kind of changed my outlook to emphasize the importance of function over appearance). And my husband doesn't care about the 12 pounds one way or the other, so whether I do or don't maintain an ideal weight is a little less urgent.

So on the one hand, biology/physchology of our brains is what it is, no sense in complaining about it. You WILL be more attractive and successful with the body shape that the opposite sex is looking for. On the other hand, we have to deal with the cards we are dealt and accept our non-ideal selves, which are usually GOOD ENOUGH FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES Very Happy he, he . . .
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:33 pm

justTrip'n wrote:we have to deal with the cards we are dealt and accept our non-ideal selves, which are usually GOOD ENOUGH FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES Very Happy he, he . . .
This is true. Even without an ounce of body fat I couldn't be a size 0. On the other hand, it'll be easier to have children some day because I'm not a twig. And a lot healthier for me and my future children.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:50 pm

A valid point. Beauty standards have varied a lot over history. Look at Rueben's (sp?) paintings. Actually, I have always preferred curves on a woman, and I know I am not the only one.

I am going to face ostracism and a howling mob of pitchfork toting vigilantes on this board for saying this, but for example Jolene Blalock is just too skinny for my taste. I admire her beauty, but she is not the kind of woman that I would be attracted to for my own desires.

*flees for his life*
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:25 pm

You go that <-way, and I'll tell 'em you went that-> way. Very Happy
Last edited by evcake on Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:28 pm

blackn'blue wrote:A valid point. Beauty standards have varied a lot over history. Look at Rueben's (sp?) paintings. Actually, I have always preferred curves on a woman, and I know I am not the only one.

Back when I was a season 1 Enterprise fan I used to chat often with the webmistress of all the Enterprise actors. AND I learned that Connor Trinneer prefers a curvey woman with a bit of meat on her.

I just thought you ladies might find that interesting.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:29 pm

blackn'blue wrote:I am going to face ostracism and a howling mob of pitchfork toting vigilantes on this board for saying this, but for example Jolene Blalock is just too skinny for my taste. I admire her beauty, but she is not the kind of woman that I would be attracted to for my own desires.

*flees for his life*

*scrambles pitchforks*

Get 'im, folks!

Well, like Elessar, I tend to prefer the slimer look on a woman. In my eyes Jolene is as perfect as anyone can be. And I'm certainly no Connor Trinneer myself.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:33 am

Ditto. I like that toned, fit look, but I'm hardly in shape myself. Well, maybe pear shaped... Laughing

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:01 am

Cool Me I aint so picky. As long as a women dosnt look like they'll kill over from a Heart attack after goin up a few flights of stairs, Or look like their about to drop dead of starvation. Any where safely between those two points an, I be happy.

Looks aint everything. Their's far more important things that should be taken into consideration first. Sure it be nice if all women could look like world class athletes, Or Healthy Models/actresses like Miss. Blalock. While were at it, It be great if all of us Men Could be as Fit as a NAVY SEAL. Laughing But that sure the hell aint possible. Laughing

I sure the hell aint even close to that kinda shape, But I sure the heck aint about to drop dead either from a hard bit of work. Cool So I aint gona expect the ultimate in Female physical fitness from a women. When I know I myself cant reach the Ultimate in male Physical fitness. It just aint fair. Confused
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:06 am

CX wrote:Ditto. I like that toned, fit look, but I'm hardly in shape myself. Well, maybe pear shaped... Laughing

Guffaw Couldn't have said it better myself!
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:08 pm

I agree with those who put healthy before any particular body type. I could stand to loose a few pounds myself (10 - 20 lbs), not just for looks but to be a little more healthy. But I have to face it, I have laughed at the Riker jokes we have had on this site and Trip/T'Poler's. I just thought that Frakes has 'let himself go' over the years, and I never asked myself if that might be a medical condition - I just laughed at the jokes. So I am not completely immune to the thin body image attitude society imposes on us. Especially since I like the look of Jolene's body, but I have enough of a good self image not to fret over the fact that no way could I ever have achieved her looks myself, not even when I was young. Still, it is difficult to not wish I was a little more like her...
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:07 pm

^ As one who participated in the Riker jokes - I just want to say that I don't think that Riker really got that big over the years. For a man his age, he actually looks very healthy. (and I think that 1st season Riker w/o the beard is pretty damn hot, actually)

I don't have any real defense for the parody - only that it was more about poking fun at the fact that he changed too much for the *the_abomination* narrative to be consistent with The Pegasus.
Writing as TrekPyro.

Return to “General Chat”