Brannon Braga gets new insights

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: Brannon Braga gets new insights

Postby Elessar » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:25 pm

I GUESS *sighs heavily*, I have to admit he can't be completely talentless, because he's written other episodes of Trek I really liked. I just think I wouldn't like him PERSONALLY, even if I think he is professionally competent, heh.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Postby justTripn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:37 pm

My husband Tony met him on the set of Voyager and they had this long give and take about the direction of the show, and my impression from Tony's story was that he is very personable, in the way that all Star Trek fans are enthused about the topic of Star Trek and eager to share their ideas.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:37 pm

Startrek.com has posted another update with more convention talks and Brannon Braga at the end of his talk mentions there's always possibilities that Trip will be brought back to life in the Enterprise books.Apparently he knows about The Good That Men do bringing Trip back in the Enterprise Relaunch series.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:47 pm

While I acknowledge Braga's good episodes, and years of hard work on Trek series, I do not forgive him for 'These Are the Voyages'. I really would like to know why he thought that was a good episode. It was so contrived, so out of character for the lead characters. Of course you are hearing this from a person who is a very poor judge of what is good or bad about her own meager attempts to be creative, LOL.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:39 pm

My thoughts on the subject are here: http://coffeecat77.livejournal.com/19239.html
Writing as TrekPyro.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:10 pm

These rants strike me as mean and ugly. Famous people are people too . . . Think of him as a fellow sentient being. Think of him as fellow writer and Star Trek fan. Just a thought experiment: What kind of comments would you leave if he posted as story to this board? What would you say if you met him in person? Cool off, he didn't kill anybody . . . well anybody real . . .
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:22 pm

Okay. I will stop posting. I didn't think I was being mean. But if that is the way people feel, I am out of here.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:25 pm

*the_abomination* seems unforgiable to me, but I am shutting up now. :)
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:17 pm

Frankly, I'm a little surprised at how quickly so many of you are stating "I'm shutting up now." I thought the point of these sort of boards were to discuss opinions and the like. Thinking that Braga is a complete moron who isn't fit to clean your bathroom is a valid opinion, just as JT's thoughts that he's being given a raw deal by the community.

justTripn wrote:These rants strike me as mean and ugly. Famous people are people too . . . Think of him as a fellow sentient being. Think of him as fellow writer and Star Trek fan.

As one of the executive producers, he is going to get the lion's share of vitriol whenever something goes ker-plop. Case in point: *the_abomination*, ANIS, season 2, Threshold, etc. People invested a great deal of emotion into this show, and when it is treated as poorly as it was by him and his partner, it's only logical for those people to get angry and hostile toward him.

Besides, I have a piss-poor view of humanity to begin with, so thinking of him as "fellow sentient being" does nothing. It just lumps him in with the rest of us stupid monkeys.

Just a thought experiment: What kind of comments would you leave if he posted as story to this board?

That depends on whether said story sucked, was wildly OOC, etc. I would be, as I always am, blunt and honest. If the characters were OOC, I'd mention it. If it was a half-baked storyline, I'd mention it. If it was flat out offensive on numerous levels, I'd mention it.

If he attempted to post something as atrocious as *the_abomination* to TriSilk, I'd like to think that the people in charge of the site would reject it out of hand for the clear character assassinations that it was.

What would you say if you met him in person?

"What the bloody hell were you thinking when you conceived this tripe?" Or, perhaps "I don't have anything to say to you, sir. Any good will I may have had toward you was lost when you thought that *the_abomination* was a good idea. Good day."

Cool off, he didn't kill anybody . . . well anybody real . . .

So, by that reasoning, does that mean all such execs are above criticism? I know that's not what you mean, but that's how it comes across.

I've said above that I think people do level too much anger at him, and I stand by that. However, it does not mean that he is not partially responsible for one of the worst episodes I've ever seen, or that he will go down in history as such. Regardless of whatever positive or good things he has done for Trek, it has been eclipsed by this abject failure. In that business, one is only as good as one's most recent product (look at that M. Night guy and how hard it is to take him seriously with the tripe he's produced the last couple of movies.)
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:33 pm

What would you say if you met him in person?

I'd probably find something other than Star Trek to discuss with him. From what I understand, he's more interested in legitimate friendship then people who are interested in pushing their opinions on him. But he does respect honesty when he asks people for feedback.

So, if it were ever brought up, I'd sum it up by telling him that I've lost most of my respect for a lot of the Trek characters because they were inconsistent, sloppy, disrespectful, racist, and chauvinistic. I had a very hard time seeing the Delta quadrant or the birth of the federation through the eyes of most, if not all of them and the gimmicks did nothing for me except make me want to change the channel.

Rigil wrote:Besides, I have a piss-poor view of humanity to begin with, so thinking of him as "fellow sentient being" does nothing. It just lumps him in with the rest of us stupid monkeys.

LOL
Writing as TrekPyro.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:41 pm

justTripn wrote:What would you say if you met him in person?

Nothing. I'd just drag him to the nearest computer and show him this :twisted: :twisted: :p :raspberry:

But then again I'm evil :twisted: :mrgreen:
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:26 pm

Yup. You are. :)
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:43 am

justTripn wrote:Amen to that! I told you people all along this was a good guy. I think his successes ("All Good Things," "Generations," Heck . . . the whole concept for the Enterprise series) far outweigh his failures.

Generations a success? :wtf: Granted, it didn't suck as much as Nemesis or even Insurrection, but it made a really poor follow-up to AGT and ST6. Both Kirk and the E-D met pathetic, contrived ends, so hardly a high point IMO.

As for what good he's done, I'll just repeat something my last commandant was fond of saying - "It takes ten 'atta-boys' to make up for one 'oh-boy'."

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:49 am

"Generations" was an slap in the face to TOS fans. It was a real stinker. I think "Insurrection" was actually the better of the two.
Writing as TrekPyro.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:58 am

Reanok wrote:Startrek.com has posted another update with more convention talks and Brannon Braga at the end of his talk mentions there's always possibilities that Trip will be brought back to life in the Enterprise books.Apparently he knows about The Good That Men do bringing Trip back in the Enterprise Relaunch series.

Don't get me wrong....I liked TGTMD.

BUT, Trip needs to be declared NOT DEAD on screen for it to be considered TRUE Canon.

If they did that in some way it would make me and I imagine a lot of other people very happy.
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Return to “General Chat”