Yowling Rant

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Yowling Rant

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:26 pm

Silverbullet--what are you using Adobe Acrobat for? Adobe is notoriously full of "bloat code," which is often noted for fouling up people's computers, either by creating incompatibilities with other programs, or just by the sheer size of it making everything you're doing taking a lot longer than they should just because of having so much superfluous code to go through.

If you're using this to read and/or create PDFs, may I suggest that you uninstall Adobe and use either Foxit or Open Office. Much leaner, less problems, and they will make and read PDFs just fine.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:58 pm

Aq, thanks much for the Tip. I am more or less computer illterate. will remove offending program post haste. thanks

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 pm

No problem. ;-)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:21 pm

I use Foxit myself, but I find it really annoying -- it grabs stuff I don't want it to grab. However, it's nice being able to type into a PDF form with Foxit. Why doesn't Acrobat do that? It's such a no-brainer thing people need.

Whenever I download updates, I always check those little extras carefully and usually uncheck the default added program boxes. It's amazing how persistent they can be. I love the part where you download an update, then it immediately says HEY it has an update for the thing you explicitly said you DIDN'T want.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:34 pm

Wow. I've never had that problem with Foxit. Weird.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:35 pm

I've been having issues with my Internet connection. But it seems to be a browser/computer related thing. For the past week or two I've had problems with starting up Firefox and often I've had to reboot. And while I've been online with Firefox I've all too often had script issues that I think relates to Java (whatever this is). At least that's what the computer has told me; that it can't load some script. i suspect this had been one of the causes for my browser breakdowns.

But this evening it completely refused to connect. I clicked on the Firefox icon and nothing happened. And when I rebooted the computer told me it couldn't shut down a file called "n" or "null". But I know where I keep Firefox on my computer and it's still there. It just won't start up. Argh! :banghead:

And after trying Firefox and failing, I cannot even get IE to work. But after my latest reboot I tried to open up IE first, and succeeded. So now I'm using IE (which I haven't used in forever) to get online and type this.

I have no idea what the problem is or how to solve it.

Oh well, I've been meaning to get myself a new computer for months now... :roll:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:06 pm

That tends to happen to me too, after I do a Windows update. Maybe it's some nefarious attempt by Microsoft to kill the competitive browser.

When I get around to it (since I'm usually fairly content in IE) I uninstall Firefox and go download it again. That doesn't take long and it usually clears up the issue...for awhile, anyway.
Image.Image

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:18 pm

Well, after a while on IE I tried open Firefox. No luck. After another while I tried again, and lo and behold, it opened. I have no idea why, but now I'm on Firefox.

I will ask some IT guys at work tomorrow. But until I know what this problem is, I won't dare to close Firefox and shut down my computer. It will have to be on 24/7. Gah! :-X
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:43 pm

Here's my rant of the day :evil: What the mother-effing hell is wrong with our youth? If judged by their actions, they have no business being in the human gene pool. I drive 30 miles to work in the morning and 30 miles back in the evening. Twice - only today - I was nearly forced into an accident by some pimple faced shit in a VW Polo, who though that diving into my motorway lane just inches in front of me and then slamming the brakes like a madman was cool.
Someone threw away the baby and accidentally raised the afterbirth, there :evil: Get's better even. Some pimple faced idiot wreaked havoc in the stable today, when his mobile's ringtone went off at a volume, normally reserved for departing jet aircraft. The highly intellectually tune was something called the 'drunken moose'. I just watched a few videos of that junk on y-tube,since I obviously missed the train at some time by not knowing it. God help me, this is so below the intellectual poverty line, it makes trailer trash look like effin' royalty. They download junk onto their devices thatis so sick, you'll require medical attention. How do people with such an IQ, that is thoroughly beaten by amoeba, pot plants and loafs o' bread, find home without external help??

Sorry, had to vent this, I've just been p-ed of by several people today, who were so green that they need mowing :?

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:32 pm

Okay, I have a Ghost in my House who is a prankster. I was going to print something this morning and the Printer wouldn't print. I thought that the Printer somehow got discontected from the Computer. Sure enough it was disconected at the Printer and at the Computer. Strange but possible. I tried again. Got a warning light. Made sure the Paper was in correctly. Still had gthe Warning light. I looked inside and NO Cartriges. The last time I used the Printer I had two Cartriges in the Printer. I had NOT taken any out. So where did those Cartriges go and who took them out? Did my wife have a boyfriend sneaking in after I had gone asleep (She still is an attractive woman even though she is 66) but I doubted that. So only answer is a Ghost. We lock the house tightly when we go to bed. All from the inside. How did those Cartritges disapppear and how did the Printer get disconnected from the Computer? I am old but not senile or crazy. This is quite a puzzle.

SB

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:31 am

Have any grandkids come to visit? My kids are always moving things so I can't find them. No grandkids yet, but I bet they'd do the same thing.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:42 am

Wife. Cleaning Nut. So she pulls out Printer far enough to disconnect the printer from the computer. then tries to pull the cord out to reconnect to the computer nad pulls the other end out of the computer. Going to clean the inside, sees some dust. doesn't use the Vac but a cloth. Cartriges got in way so she removes them and forgets to put htem back in. SIGH.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:55 am

She was dusting the INSIDE of the printer? Where is this woman and how much would she charge to clean my house? :loveeyes:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:12 am

SB, I think I can see why you might occasionally think wistfully about the chance to be more of a slob...
Image.Image

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:07 pm

Wife, developed Shingles. Was given some Pills. today she was prescribed some ointment. 50 gram tube of ointment, cost 194 dollars!!. Our Co-Pay ws 40 bucks. I can see why the Drug companies are on Poverty row.

Return to “General Chat”