Generational Designations/Names

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Generational Designations/Names

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:53 am

Um thanks... Not going to happen. Sorry but they don't sound fun to me at all. Oh I found a good Husband-Trip song, "This Kind Of Love" by Sister Hazel :loveeyes: . And yes I know it's totally a 90's gen-x band, but what do you want from me I was born in 84.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Creativity Soundtrack

Postby Aquarius » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:21 am

Actually your generational cohort is more defined as Generation Y. By convention, Generation X is generally accepted to span 1961-1981. Sister Hazel came about pretty late in the 90s, I think they missed the boat by a few years to be considered a "Gen X" band, especially since they're marketed more toward your cohort than mine.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:11 am

Well that's news to my high school Aquarius, because we were all proudly Gen-X. It's what our teachers, DJ's and just about everyone else in my youth referred to my peers as. So... I really don't know what to tell ya. When the student anouncer goes "Good Morning Gen-X," your life is pretty much defined by it.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:10 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Well that's news to my high school Aquarius, because we were all proudly Gen-X. It's what our teachers, DJ's and just about everyone else in my youth referred to my peers as. So... I really don't know what to tell ya. When the student anouncer goes "Good Morning Gen-X," your life is pretty much defined by it.

I'll put my college professors and textbooks up against your high school teacher any day. I just took Psychology of Human Aging last semester. It was all about generational cohorts as well as the various stages of development across the human life span. My book wasn't written by someone who latched on to a catch-phrase and used it all the time for fun to greet the readers.

Another song I like to write TnT to--"Crystal" by New Order.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:06 pm

It isn't a competition. Look just about every person my age had a gen-X t-shirt in school. When there was a party the DJ inveitably threw in the term. I didn't even know the term until 1998. While there might be a whole scholastic approach to the term that's not how people in my age group feel about it. My mom and her siblings all in their early 40's, to early 50's certainly don't consider themselves gen-X. For my generation it's a term that applies to anyone born from 1980-1999. The generation had by all the children of the 60's and 70's After that we say generation Y2K. So sorry I don't consider a textbook an authority about coming of age in the 90's. I already did it! It's ours. We're the generation of the CD, World Wide Web, and cell phones that actually work. IDK what the term will be for 2020, but my nieces and nephews will have it.

"One Week" by Barenaked Ladies is a good song for writing about TnT arguing.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Generation X. It's just Wikipedia, but I've got to get ready for work so I don't have time to dig much deeper.

No one said it's a competition.

Gen X-ers are also, unfortunately, "getting old"--another sure sign that as a 20-something, you're not one. ;-) The youngest of us are approaching midlife crisis, the oldest of us have probably just had it not too long ago, and the rest are in the thick of it. You're not even close--lucky you!

And just because you like to call yourself something, that doesn't mean that that's what you are. I'm reminded of my ex-friend Veronica, who insisted her parents were "yuppies" because their family always had new cars, the latest and greatest home electronics, they always had money to go on vacation, etc. The fact of the matter was, her mother was a stay-at-home housewife and her father worked on the line as unskilled labor for Ford--back then auto workers were paid very, very well. So while they always had nice, new things because their father had a good job that paid well, there was nothing Young, Urban, or Professional about them--which, by definition, is what a YUPpie is.

Any way, it's actually a fascinating subject--and unfortunately, not one that relates directly to soundtracks and playlists! :duh: Do we need a new thread in the general chat area? Or have we already spent enough time on this?

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:45 pm

Well, this middle-aged Gen-Xer will get the thread back on topic:

When I was writing "Family Secrets" - I specifically wrote to "Kind of Blue" for most of the T'Pol POV scenes. I had a reference to her interest in jazz in the story - and her relationship with Trip helping her rediscover her interest in that music after the events of Fusion.

I do have trouble with lyrics being intrusive if I'm really needing to concentrate. Most pop songs I listen to to work UP to the writing, not during the writing - although that's an exception. But "Kind of Blue" is so elegant, it manages to be excellent, very much what I picture T'Pol enjoying as far as jazz goes and not a distraction when I'm concentrating very hard.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:29 am

Well I talked to my BFF, and she went to a different High School in another state, and we decided we don't care what some old professors wrote, we're gen-X and we're not giving it up! :-P :twisted:

Now OT: Del Amitri Roll To Me... For Trip realizing T'Pol's life isn't all that great, and how he wants to help. :loveeyes:

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:52 am

Yeah. It's not the first time the masses have gotten hold of a misunderstood term, then started misusing it based on that misunderstanding.

Oh, and for pure motivation factor--I like to play some Johnny Cash too.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:22 am

Well to quote 90's sitcoms *whatever*! :roll: The masses rule anyway.

OK this is going to sound weird but I think RU Malcolm would gorrove to Brian Setzer and the Stray Cats in the shower.

Fics

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby evcake » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:30 am

Silverbullet wrote:One last shot at generation names. Mine was known as "The Silent Generation" We were between WWII and the 60's.

:) I though we were boomers :)

Lisa Gerrard, at least before my boombox died.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:24 am

We ARE Baby Boomers. I never heard of the Silent Generation. We certainly were not and are not...silent, LOL.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:26 am

SB, maybe you're confusing it with the "Silent Majority," a Nixon-era campaign slogan?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:00 pm

I thought baby boomers were born after WW2 if SB is in his mid-70's he was born in the 30's wasn't the era of the great depression "the silent generation." The people who fought in WW1 were called "the lost generation." Oh and BTW if anyone here is an Angelina Jolie fan, and saw the mid-90's movie Hackers it was advertised as "a gen-x thriller" and being that it's about a 17 year old group of kids, they weren't born in the 60's. So the vernacular is correct.

When it comes to Trip's family I blast the Sugarland.

Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Generational Designations/Names

Postby honeybee » Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:27 pm

Here's what our friend Wikipedia says about Generational Names:

List of generations
Western world

There have been many conflicting attempts to enumerate the generations of the western world.There is more agreement in the earlier parts of chronology through the early part of the Baby Boomer generation, while from the latter part of the Boomer generation on, there are significant differences, especially between those systems partially based on population dynamics and statistics, and that based on cyclic sociological theory of Strauss and Howe. The former system is more of an attempt at locating generational boundaries based on population trends and parentage and follows a roughly 15 year generations in order for the likely parentage of one generation for those two generations junior; while the latter Strauss and Howe theory is an attempt to conform the recent population trends in contemporary United States to perceived historical cycles of sociological changes in Anglo-American historical records, and follow a roughly 22 year generational interval. The following is a list of widely accepted cultural generations, sorted by region:

* The Lost Generation, primarily known as the Generation of 1914 in Europe, is a term originating with Gertrude Stein to describe those who fought in World War I.

* The Greatest Generation, also known as the G.I. Generation, is the generation that includes the veterans who fought in World War II. They were born from around 1901 to 1924, coming of age during the Great Depression. Journalist Tom Brokaw dubbed this the Greatest Generation in a book of the same name.

* The Silent Generation born 1925 to 1945, is the generation that includes those who were too young to join the service during World War II. Many had fathers who served in World War I. Generally recognized as the children of the Great Depression, this event during their formative years had a profound impact on them.

* The Baby Boom Generation is the generation that was born following World War II, about 1946 up to approximately 1964, a time that was marked by an increase in birth rates. The baby boom has been described variously as a "shockwave"and as "the pig in the python." By the sheer force of its numbers, the boomers were a demographic bulge which remodeled society as it passed through it. In general, baby boomers are associated with a rejection or redefinition of traditional values; however, many commentators have disputed the extent of that rejection, noting the widespread continuity of values with older and younger generations. In Europe and North America boomers are widely associated with privilege, as many grew up in a time of affluence, the of the features of Boomers was that they tended to think of themselves as a special generation, very different from those that had come before them. In the 1960s, as the relatively large numbers of young people became teenagers and young adults, they, and those around them, created a very specific rhetoric around their cohort, and the change they were bringing about.
* Generation X is the generation generally defined as those born after the baby boom ended, and hence sometimes referred to as Baby Busters, with earliest birth dates seen used by researchers ranging from 1961 to the latest 1981 at its greatest extent.

* Generation Y is also known as Generation Next, Millennials, or Echo Boomers. The earliest suggested birth dates ranging from mid to late 1970s to the latest in the early 2000s. Today, many follow William Strauss and Neil Howe's theories in defining the Millennials. They use the start year as 1982, and end years around the turn of the millennium.

* Generation Z, also known as Generation I or Internet Generation, and dubbed the "Digital Natives," is the following generation. The earliest birth is generally dated in the early 1990s.

So, Silverbullet - You are definitely the Silent Generation - as you asserted. I think people here must have assumed you are younger than you are. ;) My parents are also this generation, though they have younger siblings who are boomers. Interestingly enough, I'd never heard that term. Apropos for a "silent" Generation, I think.

Generation X is cited as beginning as early as 1961 (I think that's a bit early) and ending for those born in 1982. Angelina Jolie did star in Hackers in 1995. I think she's 35 or 36 now - definitely a Gen X icon. I associate Gen X with those of us who were young during the grunge era - and are currently wincing that Francis Bean Cobain is 18. The term was coined by Doug Copeland from his 1991 novel - Generation X: Tales of an Accelerated Culture. I've also heard it associated with Billy Idol's punk band and Paul Fussel's book, Class - in which he talks about a creative class that lives outside the class ladder, and he calls them Class X.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Return to “General Chat”