Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Fall Colors and stuff

Postby Alelou » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:50 am

Sadie Hawkins came out of a comic strip? That's wild. I do remember Lil Abner. That would be another one of those popular culture ideas of the South that we've been talking about in my class this semester, but I know these students wouldn't have a clue. (Not one of them had ever seen Gone with the Wind, and only two of them had ever even heard of it.)

I think today it's television and movies and the Internet more than comic strips that we all share, but the reality is that with so much out there, we don't all share the same things the way we used to. I don't get half the references people make to TV shows, and most of the others I only get because I know there IS a TV show and that people talk about it, not because I've ever watched it (in this category, I put Honey Boo Boo, Snooki, Lost, Paris Hilton, et al.)

With today's comics, I just don't consider the occasional yuks worth the effort of reading them all. (This could change if The Far Side ever reappeared with new pieces.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:02 pm

In the Golden age of comics there was no T.V. and the Radio just mimicked the comics as many of the popular radio shows were based on the Comics: Red Ryder, the Cisco Kid, Hop along Cassidy, The Lone Ranger, little Orphan Annie. In the afternoon there were the 15 minute chilldrens programs :Terry and the Pirates, Captain Midnight, Dick Tracy, Jack Armstrong.

In the early afternoon were the 15 minutes Soapers: Old Ma Perkins, One man'sfamily,Just plain bill, Backstage wife,and others.

But the comics were the lynch pin. Sometimes something would appear in a comic and catch on: in Dick Tracy one crook who had been coshed by a cop staggered and said "Wha Hoppen" that caught on and it became very popular

"Roses are Red
violets are blue
I am pretty
but "Wha Hoppen to you."

Al Capp once ran a contest for the best drawing of "Lena the Hyena" The winner was a truely ugly female.

These days Calvin and Hobbes are about the best around and the guy who drew it stopped.

I understand that comics are studied in University in the U.S. and Europe.

The ones in the Golden age reflected much of the culture of the day. i.e No police brutality in those days. If a crook mouthed off he got a brisk shot to the Snot locker. by a Cop.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:20 pm

There are still some very good comics around. Especially with the Interwebs a comic can find a rather broad audience. One that I've been following for close to 15 years now is Bill Holbrock's "Kevin and Kell". Ever since I've had my own internet connection, the first thing in the morning is to look at the day's new strip. :)

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:06 pm

I suppose there are comics out there that are popular. But lie modern Pop Music I am not used to it so rarely listen.

My comics were more action strips.

Many had unusual characters. In smiling Jack was a man named "Downwind Jackson" who was the handsomest man in the world. His face was never shown. also was a really fat guy whose buttons kept popping off his shirt. there was a chicken just below his belly that caught the buttons. Fatty had a never ending supply of buttons.

SB

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:59 pm

Wow, that sounds really badarse, SB :lol: :lol: ;-)

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:04 am

Unfortunately the queen of angst is correct. There used to be so few media sources for most that culture was imitated; it made no sense for any appeals to splinter groups. Now the splinter groups are far larger, the web has created worldwide commonalities.
Time will tell if that is a good thing or bad thing. Anecdotally TriSilk would not exist without a worldwide membership, and I can tell you that my love of two-handed flyfishing also known as spey fishing is a niche in a niche in a niche. Our gathering in Newaygo, Michigan had enough sponsorship to draw the worlds foremost instructor who is a born Welshman, raised in Scotland who now lives in the American west and fishes mostly in BC.

><(((º>Help! These guys/gals are serious
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:28 am

Wow! Kotik, it really is a small world despite the millions and millions of pages on the world wide net. I read Kevin and Kell also, for a few years now since Lindesfarne became a TA. I found Kevin and Kell on the net when I googled Holbrook after following him on Safe Havens and Fastrack. I really like his sense of humor. There is an innocence and gentleness about Safe Havens yet....that same mind can also produce a strip like Kevin and Kell with Herdthinners. As Mr. Spock would say... fascinating!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:57 pm

These are the Langhe in autumn, in Piedmont. They are the land of wine.

Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:30 pm

That's gorgeous!
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Alelou wrote:That's gorgeous!

Yeah, especially in an autumn evening with a glass of Barolo Chinato and a little Dark Chocolate.

Or, if you will, with that wonderful dessert called Bunet.

Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:40 pm

Absolutely beautiful Asso
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:49 am

If that's chocolate it would keep me up until tomorrow morning, but it sure looks yummy.

Here's some of the loveliness on our property this fall afternoon:

Image.Image

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:48 am

Damn, I'm no longer in the Black Forrest. I bet the landscape must look insanely beautiful by now. But I'll spend a week in November there - it'll probably have snow by then. :mrgreen:

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:07 am

Alelou wrote:If that's chocolate it would keep me up until tomorrow morning, but it sure looks yummy.

Here's some of the loveliness on our property this fall afternoon:

These are really autumn colours. They are splendid.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:16 pm

Northern Arizona has some lovely foliage now.

However, in the Sonoran Desert where I live, nada. Just brown everywhere. Cactus doesn't change colors. I really like the photos being put up on this thread. wish we had some of that around here.

SB

Return to “General Chat”