Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

I have a doubt.

Postby Asso » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:11 pm

I have a doubt. :?

Vulcans are vegetarians, of course.
They are NOT herbivorous.
If they be herbivorous their teeth (talking about the zones exhibited) can't be as it are.
So... their should be a life's choice.
When? How?
What you think? :?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Re: I have a doubt.

Postby evcake » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:22 pm

Vegetarianism is part of the teachings of Surak. To help in the restraint of the baser nature, and also not to take life. Right?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:53 pm

evcake wrote:Vegetarianism is part of the teachings of Surak. To help in the restraint of the baser nature, and also not to take life. Right?

If I remember correctly yes that is correct.

Isn't there something in Canon about it?
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:09 pm

Mh!?!
So, are Vulcans illogical?
How is the logic going together with one choice potentially dangerous?
And how their appearance was not changing with the passing of time? (a long time).
Probably you are right, but I am not satisfied.
Without to forget the disgust they show feeling the meat's smell and the sight. I don't know, something is wrong.:?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:30 pm

The taste for certain foods in humans is a matter of upbringing, not nature. I know many people who would flat-out refuse to eat many of the things I enjoy. I've always thought of Vulcans as natural omnivores who chose to stop killing everything "with a face" for ethical reasons, influenced by the teachings of Surak. Eating meat is still physiologically possible for them, but makes them ill because it's associated with death. I've also read fics which have postulated that over the centuries they've lost the ability to easily digest meat. There's a precedent in humans for that assumption. A significant percentage of humans lose the ability to digest milk when they reach adulthood. They stop making the enzyme necessary to break down the primary sugar in milk. Perhaps adult Vulcans might similarly lose the ability to make an enzyme necessary to digest meat protein. Maybe a corollary would be that Vulcan children CAN eat meat. That might be an interesting theme for a story. Maybe one of the challenges in the Kaswan is to kill and eat an animal, overcoming the overwhelming disgust any Vulcan would have over this action in order to survive. Maybe this is why adults never discuss the Kaswan...because it's a traumatic experience meant to put them off killing and eating meat for life.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:07 am

What do they say about this in "Fusion" when they meet the Vtosh Ka'tur (sp?) ? Or in "Star Trek: The Final Frontier" maybe with Sybok? That was on today, I caught the end...
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:00 am

I know the V'Tosh Katur shocked the crap out of Archer when their captain had dinner on Enterprise and really dug into the chicken.

Archer (surprised): "It's meat you know."
Captain I-can't-remember-his-name: "It looks delicious."
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:26 am

Captain Tavin had no difficulty digesting chicken - or at least if he did, we didn't hear about it. :)

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:30 am

Spock ate some flesh when he regressed to the old ways in All Our Yesterdays.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:35 am

Distracted wrote:The taste for certain foods in humans is a matter of upbringing, not nature. I know many people who would flat-out refuse to eat many of the things I enjoy.

:lol: Ya Got that right! :lol:
Reminds me of somethin Jeff Foxworthy said once when talkin bout his wife being from La. some where along the lines of,, "As long as their's a ditch along side a road in La, No one will go hungry there."
:lol:

:? I always thought that Vulcans being Vegetarians was perhaps the most illogical thing ever. (Course I think Humans given up Meat is pretty dang Illogical to.) :? For cryin outloud their stuck on a dessert world, with very few food sorces, an what do they go an do. Cut out one of their major source's of nurishment.
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:38 am

In my opinion, the choice to be vegetarians is, among the Humans, basically an ethical choice. You can be in agreement with it or you cannot be in agreement, but however you have to respect, even if obviously such choice has a emotional illogical basis, because the human race survival is resting on its own adaptability and it is difficult to think that a race dominating its own environment, like the Vulcans, was not increasing the same adaptability.
So, their is an ethical choice.

But:
A whole planet? in the short time of one life, ever if long? (the Surak's life).
And the Romulans? They refused the Surak's teaching. Are they eating flesh?
And so, are they logical or illogical?
What a silly question! I can hear you! If they refused the Surak's teaching, they refused logic! Yeah! But (another interesting question): they refused logic and they are, oh yes, they are Vulcans, and yet they are surviving, with their emotions. Mah!?!
The problem is that the choice of to make Vulcans as vegetarians is a “Star Trek” beginning choice.
The aim, I believe, was the will of to emphasize their differences, which, according with authors wishes, was having to be more intellectual than physical.
But (fortunately) "Star Trek" was going ahead; the Vulcans characters became more outlined, nevertheless carrying some inconsistencies.
Very interesting, if somebody was attempting to heal these inconsistencies, by means of some attractive FIC, like Distracted advises.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:58 pm

I think the Vulcans think they are being logical, and they could even make an arguement to the effect, but really it's not logical.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:12 pm

Tuvok ate spiders in... I think the episode was Gravity, where he and Paris were stuck on a desert planet. It didn't make him awfully ill or any such thing. Although I'd like to say that was the explanation for his subsequent emotionalism when it came to that alien woman. *grumble grumble*

Here's a thought: what if there aren't very many animals on Vulcan? Supposing that animals are not very prevalent, it's illogical to waste a ton of energy trying to catch one to eat.

Or maybe Vulcan animals are stringy and gamey, so Surak, hating to eat them, came up with an excuse not to.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:24 pm

Really disrespectful!:lol:
I like it! :D
We will not tell T'Pol!

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:36 pm

>Vah mau vah tor-yehat ri stau. Kup-fun-tor ha'kiv na'ish du stau? Dom nam-tor vohris nem-tor ha'kiv<.
As far as possible, do not kill. Can you return life to what you kill? Then be slow to take life.
Sayings of Suak

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Return to “General Chat”