The Happy News thread

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: The Happy News thread

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:49 am

Also I live in the Boondocks, and I mean the boondocks trees were down in my whole area of the valley and even DC was hit with massive outages. The cities and larger towns got help first. Little pocket towns like mine were last. Add the fact that I'm literally in the woods and you can see why things took so long.

Actually. Something rather weird didn't happen today we didn't get any storms. Usually we get flare-ups every day.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:17 pm

I can safely say that where I live there are more trees than most cities and suburbs. Having flown into Cherry Capital Airport it is amazing just how wooded things are. Not to mention I live next to a national forest.

Alelou,

It appears you survived the storms, but more are coming, well more rain is coming. I picked up another inch since this morning with only a teeny bit of a light show and loud booms. This rain has been quite steady without being real hard. The best part is that as I type it is a marvelous 64 degF.

><((((º>i'll nibble his tail><((((º>
RIP Tom, I will miss you, as will many others

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:25 pm

The only part of your state I was honored to see was the airport in Detroit. And may I say it's a really nice one. Not as Boho-chic as San Fransisco, but very nice.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

putaro
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby putaro » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:55 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Not as Boho-chic as San Fransisco, but very nice.

SFO is Boho-chic? Humungous and airporty is the way I think of it, though the food has gotten pretty good. Had a couple of excellent burgers there my last trip.

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:22 pm

I was born in Detroit. I do not recommend it for a visit, it is quite dangerous. You are quite safe if you go downtown especially for events, waterfront concerts, ballgames, etc. But get yourself on the freeway immediately thereafter. I have done many industrial projects in the city, trust me...

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:36 pm

I attended an education convention in Detroit in the winter once. We were really lucky to get in and out without snow delays, but I mostly remember the downtown as 1) freakishly deserted, and 2) the only place north of the Mason Dixon line where I've ever seen alligator on a restaurant menu.

Edit: And it is drizzling today, but I'd like some steady rain, please. The storms yesterday split and went completely around us! We were all excited (even had cancellations because of tornado watch.). We might get steadier rain yet, but nobody is counting on it.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:12 pm

putaro wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:Not as Boho-chic as San Fransisco, but very nice.

SFO is Boho-chic? Humungous and airporty is the way I think of it, though the food has gotten pretty good. Had a couple of excellent burgers there my last trip.

The last time I was at SFO I was 13 and making a connecting flight to NY. That's well over 10yrs ago. I remember thinking it was nice. The resturants were pretty. Of course, I was also thuroughly jet-lagged.

Fics

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:35 pm

Well, I tried watching the Olympics this morning.. Even with the volume off I hate NBC. If there aren't Americans involved they won't show it. Having lived in Michigan most of my life I usually watch CBC. The Canadian coverage is SOOO much better. Unfortunately DirecTV only offers the various NBC affiliates :upchuck:

Being the resourceful bugger that I am, I have unilaterally decided that today is a hammock day. And the Tigers are on the radio at 1:00 EDT. As always life is good.. 8)

><((((º> ><((((º> must swim faster :-D

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:00 am

I enjoyed the bicycle racing this morning, but I was really just watching the scenery. They were certainly having beautiful weather today.
Image.Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:29 pm

This is getting silly. Got another 1.4" of rain last night. That puts me at 5.1" since last Wednesday. Should make the garden grow and the fish happy.

I'm happy

><((((º>grin

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:58 pm

Weebie, you got as much rain in a couple days as we get all year. 5 inches is about it.Rather dry here you know.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:42 pm

We got some but not nearly that much. I suppose with me out of commission it hardly matters. Jaime will water but he draws the line at picking, weeding, spraying, burying squash vines, or all that other stuff that needs doing. Too much forced agriculture in his youth.

Happy News, though, was that I got $2 in Amazon mp3 credits for buying my kid a Batman ticket online (expecting a huge line on opening day, but the place was empty -- apparently they all wanted the drive-in instead or figured they'd get shot). I just spent it (and 99 cents more) for a $2.99 Heavy album that I really like.

Also I finally got an appointment at the orthopedist. They are so diabolical. I was up at 4:30am because this thing is bothering me so much, but I had to wait until they said they opened at 8am. But they 1) didn't turn on their phone system when they said the office was open for at least 20 minutes before I gave up and left a message with their service, and 2) never returned the call from the service, and 3) once I gave up on getting a call back and tried again they not only put me on hold forever while I waited as number 11 in the queue for them to pick up, but set it up so that if I didn't keep pressing 1 periodically it would drop me ... so no tuning out of the obnoxious chirpy announcements about how wonderful they are.
Image.Image

Weeble
Captain
Captain

Postby Weeble » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:10 pm

My idiot Lab Rooby Roo the wonder mutt, has a habit that while annoying certainly keeps us laughing. Whenever she drinks water she looks around for bare people skin, a foot a leg what have you. Then the unfortunate soul gets a bath. She doesn't discriminate the wife and I from visitors, so lets just say its fun to watch... :clap:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:44 pm

A bath in what? :shock:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:45 am

Yeah, seriously?

I left the bathroom door open today when I was taking a shower and little Penny the cat stared in at me the whole time, then needed a lot of affection and reassurance when I got out. I wish I knew what was going on in her head.

She was also funny when my grandson started bawling in my lap while his mom was off at the park. She ran to me and rubbed her head against mine as if she thought I needed help.
Image.Image

Return to “General Chat”