One point to illustrate something.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

blacknblue
Site Admin

One point to illustrate something.

Postby blacknblue » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:33 am

There have been several times over the course of the past few months when certain topics (that shall remain nameless as far as I am concerned) have provoked controversy.

There is a reason for this. We live in a big world, and it has a lot of real variation in it. Behavior patterns that work fine in some parts of this big world are not necessarily appropriate in other areas. So when two people get into a debate about a controversial subject, it could very well be that both of them are correct - for their particular area and type of environment.

Some examples to illustrate my point:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 845fbc6841

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/sto ... b7&k=77249

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/200 ... attack.cnn

http://www.hcn.org/servlets/hcn.Article ... e_id=16084

You don't need a four wheel drive truck in the heart of a city, either. Nor do you really need a tuxedo while plowing a corn field. A person adapts their tools and behavior to the needs and requirements of their environment. So if someone says they have a real need for a particular tool, maybe they really do?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: One point to illustrate something.

Postby justTripn » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:32 pm

If you mean that hunters and farmers need guns, I accept that.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:31 pm

Wolves have been reestablished in Wisconsin to help keep the deer population in balance. So far, I have not heard of problems between humans and wolves here. I don't think wolves are starving in Wisconsin - more than enough deer to eat. And I agree that when wolves threaten humans, humans should fight back with deadly force. I am not sure what the ultimate answer is, but wolves have a place in the wild. So do bears. So do we. humans

How to work it all out, I would leave to the wildlife experts - and follow those warnings and instructions concerning wild animals that people ignore in the parks. Don't feed wild pretators! Keep your campsite clean. And hey, I like the idea of cleaning up those dumps that the article mentioned.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:32 pm

justTripn wrote:If you mean that hunters and farmers need guns, I accept that.

I don't even want to go there. I'm sure enough people think I'm a dick as it is over some of my political views. Hell, I got banned from one board because of them.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:38 pm

CX, your opinion is as good as anyone elses. If your opinion differes from mine, you still haved a right to express it. Debate is healthy and logical arguments certainly make people think and perhaps modify their opinions.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:39 pm

We can't agree on everything. Hopefully we can agree to respect one another's opinions and the right that everyone has to speak them freely.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:50 pm

Bether6074 wrote:We can't agree on everything. Hopefully we can agree to respect one another's opinions and the right that everyone has to speak them freely.

I hate what you think, but I am ready to die to defend what you think.
I don't remember who said it, but I agree (well, almost completely :lol: ).
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:49 am

I'm sorry for the wolves that they were released in an area not able to sustain them, and then apparently poorly monitored. A recipe for disaster. :(
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:48 am

My response is that there are many kinds of "wolves" :lol:. Some wear fur, some wear faces :)
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:56 pm

Which illustrates my point. :D

Banner by JadziaKathryn

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:42 am

oops, wrong thread.
Last edited by evcake on Tue Jan 01, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:45 am

You said it. Isn't it a blessing to have intelligent friends? Nothing beats a conversation where you only have to say something once and people "get" it. I LOVE it! :D
Image sig by chrisis1033

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:36 am

:? Huh? Inteligent friends! Where? :?
:raspberry:

This is one of the reasons I always carry a rifle, or shotgun while walkin in my fields, or woods.
8) Wish I could get away with the same if I ever had to enter a city, God Knows Id feel safer. Oh well guess Ill have to stay out here in the Real Civilised part of the world. 8)

:? So I have to ask, Dos anyone really think pepper spray is going to stop one of the worlds most efficient predators, when its hungry enough to aproach Humans? :? I sure the heck dont. :? Maybe all that yellin, an stick wavin/throwin did something to combined with the spray. :? But pepper spray? Really?

Give me a Gun. Thank you.

Wolves. This subject Reminds me of an artical in a Hunting magazine resently.
Basicaly it said that the North East Coyotes are diffrent then the other coyotes across the nation. Their bigger, killing larger animals, and have the tendancy to Hunt in packs more often then other coyotes(which really dont hunt all that much in packs). Reason being They've got Wolf DNA in them.

Mainly Red Wolf DNA that is. Basiclay as the Red Wolf was pushed to near extinction, an Coyotes moved back into areas they inter bred with each other.

This whole thing also spooks me. Not that I think Ill ever see a Coyote comin after me.
Really its the wolf thing. Im more affraid of coming across a Wolf, then I would ever be of a Moutain Lion. An not only have I heard of sightings of Wolves in my Area, an Im not talking bout small Red wolves. Im talkin bout 100 + lbs Timber wolves, But I swear I saw one once, years ago. This animal was easily over a 100 lbs, Stood nearly twice as tall as the coyotes Ive seen, had dark fur, an those trade mark yellow wolf eyes. Crossed a road right in front of my dads truck about a 60ft from it. Id say this was about 12 years ago now. Dang thing stoped long enough to look right at us.
Spooked the hell out of me, even more then the time a 500lb Black Bear was 4 ft out side of my truck.
TnT I love em. Very Happy

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:12 am

:lol: :raspberry: :lol: Enough sentiment! Back to business!! :D :raspberry: :D

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:30 am

Dang, Mitchell, if I had as many close encounters with the furry, natural kind as you do, I think I'd carry a .500 S&W Magnum and an AK everywhere I went on my property :lol: . I read about a guy who shot a polar bear at 8 ft with a .500 S&W in the neck and killed it, one shot. It clammered away about 175 ft before collapsing, though.

You might get better range out of a real hunting rifle, but in a situation where you're worried about a bear or a wolf leapin on you, I think I'd rather have something I don't have to sight in and carries 30 rounds instead of 4.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “General Chat”