Payment MU story thread

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Payment MU story thread

Postby panyasan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:07 pm

blacknblue wrote:You need to remember that the first priority of those Vulcan elders is the safety and security of the Vulcan people as a whole. They are the head of the Vulcan government, responsibility for the welfare of their entire race. No matter what their personal feelings might be, ultimately they must take care of their people.

V'Lar in particular may have more in common with T'Pol than anyone seems to have noted. It is possible that she was putting the good of her people ahead of her own personal desires.

Do you believe in results? When Defiant arrived, Vulcan was on the verge of having its entire government slaughtered. After they finished roasting T'Pol over a slow fire, Vulcan now has a 30 grace period to claim amnesty for its wayward sons and daughters and, if it plays its cards right, might be able to escape from the whole rebellion debacle without any punishment at all.

Again, do you believe in results? Those old Vulcans are ruthlessly logical. They have all been playing imperial politics for more than a century, and none of them are stupid.

I have not looked from that point of view and you made your point. Yes, it is very logical - ruthlessly logic - and in line with the need of the many outweighed the need of the few. Do you think T'pol would see the logic? How does she combine logic and the whole idea of rebellion? Maybe T'pol is more thinking with her heart.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:19 pm

panyasan wrote: ...Maybe T'pol is more thinking with her heart.

I said that in this T'Pol there's much of RU T'Pol. :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:35 pm

This MU T'Pol sided with Forrest, even after he had already lost. That was hardly logical. In a previous chapter I examined her thoughts about this very issue...
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:05 am

I've got a dumb question. In the mutual universe, are humans the only species with a different temperment than their counterparts in the real universe?

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:33 am

I'd say that the MU Vulcans are warped in their own way, as seen in every counterpart in every series that's done MU episodes. Bajorans were also pretty twisted in the MU compared to the RU.

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:58 am

blacknblue:

So in "payment" and penance to the empire, V'Lar "sacrifices" T'Pol to the Empress for 30-days? Her justification is the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. I believe Caiaphas said almost the same thing when he sent Jesus to Pilate, it is better for one man to die rather than a whole nation.

Strange, has this question come up before on this board?

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:59 am

Sorry, one more question...

Is the 30 significant as in 30 pieces of silver?

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:18 am

dialee wrote:blacknblue:

So in "payment" and penance to the empire, V'Lar "sacrifices" T'Pol to the Empress for 30-days? Her justification is the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one. I believe Caiaphas said almost the same thing when he sent Jesus to Pilate, it is better for one man to die rather than a whole nation.

Strange, has this question come up before on this board?

Maybe. :)

But then, when Hoshi gave T'Pol to Tucker as a slave was that in Payment for his service, or in Payment for the pain she caused him? Or was it in Payment for her crimes? Hoshi prides herself on always paying her debts...

I wonder, how does Tucker feel about payback?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:17 pm

blacknblue wrote:Do you believe in results? When Defiant arrived, Vulcan was on the verge of having its entire government slaughtered. After they finished roasting T'Pol over a slow fire, Vulcan now has a 30 grace period to claim amnesty for its wayward sons and daughters and, if it plays its cards right, might be able to escape from the whole rebellion debacle without any punishment at all.

When I red this, I remembered. And chapter 10 made more sense. It has been a while since I red chapter 9 (I remember other things from that chapter, mostly the interaction between Hess, Trip and T'pol.
Love is a verb.

Drogna
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Drogna » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:05 pm

I liked this chapter. MU T'Pol is definitely more emotional than RU T'Pol, and on top of everything that she's been through in the last few days, I could see her breaking down. It's just humiliation piled on humiliation for her at the moment. I hadn't expected Hoshi's reaction at all, but it somehow made her seem a more believable character. I like the continuing metaphor of "debt" and "payment", that carries through all the characters - even Hoshi realises that she can't do what she likes without consequences. Everyone has dues to be paid for what they have done, and I suspect some still have further payments to make. Looking forward to that. :)
Work in Progress:
Number Theory - Desert Rose Universe
Recently Completed:
Songs in Red and Grey - Special Projects Series
Blood, Sweat and Tears - Stand Alone

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:39 am

I just printed off the whole story and I've been steadily catching up to you guys.

I have to say I'm stoked about the premise. Most MU stories try to shy away from the bad by embracing the good but from what I've read so far, this one embraces the good and the bad at the same time. "Empress" Hoshi is a fun but disturbing villain that contributes a lot to the fun of MU: evil but familar.

But part of the problem for me is also the stories main strength. In a world where the people I rooted for for four seasons are bad bad people, I'm confused about if I should like them or hate them. I'll need to finish the story to really get a feel for it but so far good stuff.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:39 pm

thecursor wrote:But part of the problem for me is also the stories main strength. In a world where the people I rooted for for four seasons are bad bad people, I'm confused about if I should like them or hate them. I'll need to finish the story to really get a feel for it but so far good stuff.
I see MU T'pol and Tucker in this story as different people than the RU T'pol and Trip (but my view of them is influecend by the RU one). I don't see them as bad bad people, there is still hope that they make a right decision to do the right thing. Also I get a little vibe in the story that both MU T'pol and Tucker have some feelings towards each other, what they both try to hide very hard. Gives you also a different take on the characters.
Love is a verb.

thecursor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby thecursor » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:03 pm

Finished it last night and I agree with you on that one Panysan, they're actually a lot more sympathetic then the MU as it's written.
"Just remember what ol' Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol' storm right square in the eye and he says, "Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”