The Bond?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

chris1138
Ensign
Ensign
Show On Map: No
Location: Ki Baratan, formerly known as Dartha (you know, like Vader and stuff)

Re: The Bond?

Postby chris1138 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Aquarius wrote: And it depends on how she said it--it's one thing if she was running to the press badmouthing her bosses, it's another if she was asked a difficult question during a Q&A at a con and was trying to appease broken-hearted fans. So context is everything, too.

You're right. And the context really leaves no room to interpretation. She really seemed appalled.
http://www.trektoday.com/news/070305_02.shtml

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:21 pm

Aquarius wrote:I did read that Connor Trinneer was asked what he thought about the death of his character, and his response was something like (paraphrasing here) "I figured what the hell, they're ending the show any way." Which is more your Hollywood politically-correct response. *shrug*

Thanks Aquarius. Good analysis. Sounds about right. I heard Connor say two other things about the last episode: That he didn't like it, because "Trip had gotten out of much worse before" and that nevertheless, his first reaction upon reading the script was to be extremely flattered. He recognized that his character was being killed because he was the favorite.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Bookworm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:37 pm

For me the worst thing in that episode was definitely the way the handled Trip and T'Pol. I'm a romantic and even if I don't get my happy ending that was promised to me in the previous episodes I'd like to have some kind of proper explanation or something so that it I could even try to make sense why they go from the hand holding scene and being bonded so that you can actually share things in your mind with the other, to that odd situation in the last episode.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:39 pm

Ditto!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:43 pm

chris1138 wrote:
Aquarius wrote: And it depends on how she said it--it's one thing if she was running to the press badmouthing her bosses, it's another if she was asked a difficult question during a Q&A at a con and was trying to appease broken-hearted fans. So context is everything, too.

You're right. And the context really leaves no room to interpretation. She really seemed appalled.
http://www.trektoday.com/news/070305_02.shtml

Blalock said, "I don't know where to begin with that one...the final episode is...appalling."

On the surface, you're right, it doesn't look like it leaves much room for interpretation. But in all fairness, if you really look at this, the ellipses between parts of this means things have been taken out, so it's already been interpreted by the person writing the article--magazine-type writers usually don't use ellipses to indicate pauses or dramatic effect the way we fiction writers do. They're there to tell you something was left out, so the writer can't be sued. Without knowing what came in between, it's hard to know exactly what Jolene said, which is exactly why you can't believe everything you read. Could she have meant exactly what we think she meant? Sure! I'm just saying that she's the only one who knows for sure, because that remark was obviously edited.

Alelou--I had no idea that CT and JB didn't go to the wrap party. That's probably another career no-no, unless you absolutely can't be there due to being contractually obligated to be somewhere else. Still, it seems (though my perceptions could be off) that Connor's gotten a little more work than that lately, with appearances on Stargate and was it Criminal Minds? Still guest appearances, but very high-profile shows. That's why I was so glad to see Jolene on CSI Miami, because it's so popular and I hope it got her lots of attention. 8)

jT--yeah, I guess it's bitter-sweet to know that your character's death is gonna hurt the most because he's the most popular.
Last edited by Aquarius on Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:47 pm

Bookworm wrote:For me the worst thing in that episode was definitely the way the handled Trip and T'Pol. I'm a romantic and even if I don't get my happy ending that was promised to me in the previous episodes I'd like to have some kind of proper explanation or something so that it I could even try to make sense why they go from the hand holding scene and being bonded so that you can actually share things in your mind with the other, to that odd situation in the last episode.

That just seemed so incongruous to me, given the events of the episodes leading up to and finishing off with "Terra Prime". I got the distinct impression that they knew they still had their problems, but both Trip and T'Pol were committed to working at their relationship and working things out. It wouldn't be easy, but they could've made it if they tried. I already know it's coming but I still fully expect to feel blindsided when I first hear "Do you ever miss me?" :(

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:09 pm

Actually, I'm not sure where I read this, but I'm pretty sure one of those ellipses was replacing the f-bomb...

JB doesn't have to work, from what I hear, because her husband is so successful, so maybe she feels free to say whatever.

CT has worked pretty steadily I guess, but not to the level I'd expect of someone with such clear talent. Maybe it's just the Star Trek/SF curse, but I still wonder.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:50 pm

Alelou wrote:Actually, I'm not sure where I read this, but I'm pretty sure one of those ellipses was replacing the f-bomb...

Love it! :lol: Still, you see my point; hard to tell unless you heard it first-hand. I'm not saying she wasn't really outraged, just that these things should be read with caution.

JB doesn't have to work, from what I hear, because her husband is so successful, so maybe she feels free to say whatever.

Hmmm, I wonder if her husband has a single friend/brother in the same line of work? :D :wink: If so I'd love to meet him!

And you're right, there might be a certain amount of liberation that comes with being in that position...but obviously she didn't plan to quit working because she has worked, so my question would be why do something that can limit the quality of the parts/projects you're offered?

Harrison Ford has openly trashed on being Han Solo, but the worst that's happened as a result of that is alienating some Star Wars fans. It didn't damage his career any because he's Harrison Freaking Ford. Until you reach that kind of status, though, you really do have to be careful if you want good work (or any work at all).

I just hope that Jolene doesn't end up becoming one of those Lifetime Channel movie queens. We call it "The Victim Channel" here. It seems like some actresses, after a certain point in their career, that's the only kind of character they play. :?

CT has worked pretty steadily I guess, but not to the level I'd expect of someone with such clear talent. Maybe it's just the Star Trek/SF curse, but I still wonder.

Yeah, it really seems mostly like only Shatner, Nimoy, and Stewart broke out of that one. Though I had to love Michael Dorn in I.M. Weasel! And Spiner got some pretty good work too--loved his character in Independence Day, for example. Other than that, I think I saw Robert Beltran in an episode of Charmed once, and Linda Park and Dominic Keating on Heroes...

Anything ever come out of that Hawaii Five-O thing for CT?

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:36 pm

Nana Visitor has been in a couple of totally non-SF TV shows. There was one on ABC family a few years ago that I never watched but they ran ads for constantly. And Jeri Ryan was in "Boston Public" and "Shark."

But back to the bond - - - one of the many problems with *the_abomination* was that they just pretended it never happened. If you want to break up a couple with a telepathic mating bond you need to have more than "Do you ever miss me?" Fortunately, it was a bad holonovel, so it means nothing.

mwpm
Ensign
Ensign

Postby mwpm » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:16 pm

wow... thats all I can say

yes, I re-call episodes Bound and Afflication ( I think thats the episode )with Hoshi having dreams of Trip, forgive me little part of me like the idea of Trip/Hoshi too.. I felt that the show was going that way too. But I will say Trip/T'Pol gave me HOT/HEAVY vs. Trip/Hoshi sweetness sometimes a little on the overload side. sorry

I'm also going to say I'm sorry I got lost somewhere?

thank you

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:51 pm

mwpm wrote:wow... thats all I can say

See, that's how you know you asked a GREAT question, when all sorts of discussion erupts around it! :lol:

And heaven knows we just LOVE talking about the bond around here. :loveeyes:

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:58 pm

The bond is a whisper of love. (BlueTiger.)
I don't add anything.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:20 am

Asso, I am honored that you would quote my story in this thread. When I first heard the december word, that line came to mind. That is the way I have always imagined the bond.
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:39 pm

Alelou wrote:Actually, I'm not sure where I read this, but I'm pretty sure one of those ellipses was replacing the f-bomb...

Yup, she used the f-word there.

And John Billingelsey said something like *the_abomination* was "dramatically arbitrary" and other non-praises.

Heck, even Braga has admitted (at some com Q&A) that *the_abomination* was a bad move. Of course that was after the fact. During the time of the original airing he (and Berman) was all excited about it. The thing is, I'm fairly convinced that they did write most of it during the latter half of season three, to use in case ENT had been cancelled back then. Then they just dusted it off for season four, with some minor tweaks. Hence the disconnect from what had happened in season four.

As to the original question, yes TnT did have a Bond. It's too bad there weren't that much time left to deveolp it before cancellation.

In any case, my personal view of the Bond is that it's not like a telepathic telephone line that some fan fiction make it out to be. I think it's more subtle and would take a lot of effort to practice.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

anaM
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby anaM » Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:06 am

I suppose that since the bond has been declared existing , it must exist and it must be stong enough to protect Trip from the influence of the Orion girls.
Anyway that's how I understand it after watching Ent once, I'm now watching it all a second time.
I also believe the bond got stronger with the existence of the baby and the way TnT got so close together after her loss.
About the exact nature of the bond I'm not sure, since there was not enough time to handle it in the series, but there are many interpretations on fanfiction so, who knows, maybe after reading a lot, I might have an interpretation of my own.
However the last episode comes and destroys it all and I'm not yet sure if I should just ignore it, as many people seem to do or try to find something hidden behind it , as the book TGTMD does :? :shock: .
Well, that's the fun in being to a new fandom, you can search things, get emotional , meet new people and new ideas etc :D

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”