"Enterprise: The Romulan War"

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: "Enterprise: The Romulan War"

Postby honeybee » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:59 pm

I'm very grateful that the writers have Trip & T'Pol still in love in the books, so much so that I'm happy to overlook any flaws in them. I also am not sure if we will get a "bittersweet but happy ending" or a "appropriately, epic-ly tragic" ending but either way it's nice to see *the_abomination* officially fixed, in the only way we are going to get it fixed.

The books fix *the_abomination* on a number of levels, not just on the TnT level - so much so that it rare to see official material so willing to recognize mistakes.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:44 pm

I TOTALLY agree with you honeybee!

Speaking of the screwed up ending, did anyone hear what Braga said at the Vegas Con? He admitted that "the_abomination" was a major mistake. There's a link to a transcript somewhere on the Trek BBS. If anyone is interested I'll look it up.

I find it satisfying that the books also fix the finale. It just proves that the we are right and that Trip & T'Pol belong together and actually could make it work.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:10 pm

If Trip again is going to ave a central part in this third book why in Hell wasn't he featured on the cover of the new book? Archer sure is very prominent. why the tellerite? the Andorian? No Trip?
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:15 pm

I saw that somewhere. I don't know if he realized it at the time, but he admits it now. How could he not? Trek fans rarely agree on anything, but they all agreed on *the_abomination* being awful, insulting and just plain bad.

And again, I don't object to sad endings in love stories. They can be great, but if you botch them. . .well, *the_abomination* is a perfect example.

But what really got me about *the_abomination* was that it didn't pay ANY attention at all to the fourth season and what it was building toward respective of TnT and everything else. I'm not sure Braga even watched the fourth season.

Anyway, thank goodness the books undo it. Terra Prime is an excellent finale to the series - one that leaves things open for more story.

And The Good That Men Do actually does headstands to explain *the_abomination* while undoing it so as not to mess with "canon" - something I also respect. I love that the writers thank Braga and Berman for the "wonderful jumping off point" of *the_abomination* that inspired them. Yeah. Thanks for botching the finale so much that Trek fans who have never bought a book will buy ours so they can see the mess you made officially undone.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Dusalis Drake
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dusalis Drake » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:29 pm

honeybee wrote:Yeah. Thanks for botching the finale so much that Trek fans who have never bought a book will buy ours so they can see the mess you made officially undone.

:lol:
so true

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:41 pm

There was already a thread about the books which are attempting to fix "the abomination".
I was a part of the discussion.
I don't want to turn off any enthusiasm, but, honestly, I share Rigil Kent's ideas. And also BnB's.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:26 pm

honeybee wrote: And The Good That Men Do actually does headstands to explain *the_abomination* while undoing it so as not to mess with "canon" - something I also respect. I love that the writers thank Braga and Berman for the "wonderful jumping off point" of *the_abomination* that inspired them. Yeah. Thanks for botching the finale so much that Trek fans who have never bought a book will buy ours so they can see the mess you made officially undone.

It COMPLETELY ignores "the_abomination," and the whole missing six-years thing - which was STUPID! One thing is that I have a hard time with in "TGTMD" is Trip just leaving T'Pol like that, no matter how noble the cause is. Their relationship is still fragile at that point and he doesnt seem at all conflicted about leaving her and letting her think he's dead (initially anyway)

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:19 am

Actually, fixing the Abomination gives a writer room, to reallly use his/her imagination. Even if it is for nothing but to give the royal finger to Bragga.

Of course I refer to good writers and those who don't have the brains not to try.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:13 am

Fixing *the_abomination* is not that difficult. No real scene was shown. It all happened in a holodeck simulation and can therefore be rigged in any way imaginable. There are some evident points which make it almost obvious that the holodeck simulation was faulty :

1. Nobody was promoted. With 10 years as Ensigns, Hoshi and Travis beat Harry Kim's record as eternal Ensign easily.

2. Nobody was killed. Years of Earth-Romulan war and still the whole crew of Enterprise miraciously survived and not only that - nobody was transfered off the ship either. Obviously Starfleet didn't need people with 10 years of space experience on other ships.

It is rather obvious that it was depicting a fantasy world of fat-Riker rather than the real happenings, so basically even when going by canon, you're pretty much free to go after Terra Prime.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:46 pm

Hey lay off Riker it wasn't his fault! I can't possibly read the books. All of them at Amazon have an average of 3 stars or less. I will NOT waste my money.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:05 pm

[quote="honeybee"]I'm very grateful that the writers have Trip & T'Pol still in love in the books.

Honeybee I definitely agree with you about the Enterprise books and Trip and T'Pol's relationship in the books.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:13 pm

Reanok wrote:
honeybee wrote:I'm very grateful that the writers have Trip & T'Pol still in love in the books.

Honeybee I definitely agree with you about the Enterprise books and Trip and T'Pol's relationship in the books.

About that, I'm in total agreement. :D
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:45 pm

Kotik wrote:Fixing *the_abomination* is not that difficult. No real scene was shown. It all happened in a holodeck simulation and can therefore be rigged in any way imaginable. There are some evident points which make it almost obvious that the holodeck simulation was faulty :

1. Nobody was promoted. With 10 years as Ensigns, Hoshi and Travis beat Harry Kim's record as eternal Ensign easily.

2. Nobody was killed. Years of Earth-Romulan war and still the whole crew of Enterprise miraciously survived and not only that - nobody was transfered off the ship either. Obviously Starfleet didn't need people with 10 years of space experience on other ships.

It is rather obvious that it was depicting a fantasy world of fat-Riker rather than the real happenings, so basically even when going by canon, you're pretty much free to go after Terra Prime.

ditto. It was almost intentionally fantastical... I like my version better... Travis dies, Hoshi's promoted, Malcolm's promoted twice, Trip's transfered, T'Pol's promoted, Archer's promoted, :lol:

The war just basically didn't happen in *the_abomination*... it was like it didn't even happen.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:04 pm

Kotik wrote: a fantasy world of fat-Riker

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :wave: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I laughed aloud. It was a lol.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:25 am

Poor Riker. But hey didn't Deanna tell him which program to use? Shouldn't it be her fault then? No wait, she didn't program it, it was a stored program. So, who programmed it? Can't we blame them instead of poor Will and Deanna?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”