The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Vulcans... to swim or not to swim?

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:59 pm

I meant internally!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:26 pm

Ah....
I don't know. Maybe... Trip? Oooops!
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:32 pm

Huh? I don't get it.

All I'm saying that since Vulcans "evolved" on Vulcan their bodies would naturally adapt to all of the natural phenominon on the planet.

Also what you said about there being no water on Vulcan that's not quite true either. Even if there weren't visable bodies of water on the surface, there could be thousands of bodies of water underneath. Did you know there is an entire river system under the Sahara? There is, underground river rivals the Amazon and Nile rivers.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:20 am

Asso wrote:Ah....
I don't know. Maybe... Trip? Oooops!

You dirty beggar! :P :lol:

I just thought I'd drop by and add my opinion. I agree with those before me that it wouldn't make sense to teach ALL Vulcans to swim. There isn't enough of a demand for it on a desert world. Also, if there ARE only a few small seas, the majority of the population would live quite some distance away, and getting them there would cost a bomb. I don't think that they'd build swimming pools (think evapouration) when there are other methods of excercise that work just as well. Teaching Vulcans who are going into service (such as T'Pol) how to swim does make sense, they need to be prepared for any eventuallity, including water.
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:25 am

Meh I might not remember right because it was YEARS ago. But I think in a VOY episode Tom :loveeyes: asked Tuvok if he could swim. He said he could but didn't like it. Truthfully I think a lot of Vulcans wouldn't like swimming, especially in open water. Too cold and unpredicticable. But Like I said before, for Vulcans who are often off-world, it seems a reasonable skill to have.

PS. The Vulcan word for swimming is... Mahalan. Which frankly sounds like Mahalo which is Hawaiian for thanks and you're welcome. But that is a totally useless fact.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:39 pm

It makes sense for Tuvok to know how to swim because it would be part of his Starfleet training.

As for the gravity issue, these people are advanced enough to create artificial gravity so something resembling normal for them can exist where there is no gravity or microgravity; I think it follows that they could also manipulate gravity dirtside, then.

The gravity/floating question brings up a question about their bodies, though. Our ability to float has a lot to do with our percentage of body fat, right? Vulcans are generally shown to be pretty lean...so even in Earthlike conditions, would they have trouble floating?
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:45 pm

I don't think floating has anything to do with body fat Aquarius. I have personal proof. The women on my mothers side of the family don't gain any body fat until they have kids. Proven fact, my Grammy, Mama, Aunt, all female cousins except 1, my sister and me. Well lets just say sister and I are still skeletons allong with all female cousins except 1. I mean we are really skinny. Sister makes T'Pol look plump. We float beautifully, and for hours should we choose. But hey what can you do if everyone at one point in your family was on swim-team and life-guards.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:52 pm

I would think manipulating gravity dirtside -- sitting on the tremendous mass of a planet -- would be MUCH more of a challenge than manipulating it in space.

Not to say that Vulcans might not have figured it out anyway.

I believe we do do it right now for very short periods of time by sending jets into dives. (Yikes.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Vulcans figured out the tractor beam before Earth, isn't pulling ships around by energy harder than that? Especially at Warp Speed.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:14 pm

Alelou wrote:I would think manipulating gravity dirtside -- sitting on the tremendous mass of a planet -- would be MUCH more of a challenge than manipulating it in space.

Not to say that Vulcans might not have figured it out anyway.

I believe we do do it right now for very short periods of time by sending jets into dives. (Yikes.)

I don't know if they have them yet in Archer's time, but in various incarnations of Trek you see lots of antigravity devices, like for hauling heavy stuff--like a futuristic dolly or stretcher or whatnot. So I would call that being able to manipulate gravity dirtiside...whether or not they could do it on a larger scale like for an Olympic-sized swimming pool is another story, but it suggests to me that they'd at lest been working on the problem and have been at various stages of development in solving it, and as often happens, technologies are adopted for use with things and situations other than what they were originally invented for. So I think that it's possible that they could manipulate gravity for the purpose of swimming lessons...but then the question is, would they?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:19 pm

I think so, Like I said if Vulcans who are spending time going to other planets a lot. It's a useful skill. So obviously they'd have to learn somehow.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:31 pm

The Vulcans seem to have their own version of "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger," so in that context, yeah, swimming lessons make sense, as uncomfortable and distasteful swimming might be to a desert people.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:33 pm

I think bone density would have an effect on ability to float. Swimming training might be required for some people in the Vulcan military, especially for assignment to planets with more water, as someone thoughtfully pointed out. But it would seem impractical for the majority of the stay-at-home Vulcan population.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Now that's true I remember from acing High-School biology. As for the majority of Vulcans finding swimming distaseful, well... Yeah it's possible. A lot of factors can go into that. But they are individuals, I'm sure a great many Vulcans would also find it extremely enjoyable, even a bit of a novalty.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:45 pm

I think though, that if your species evolved on a world that was desert and water was pretty much used only for drinking and bathing, then you wouldn't be "wired" to enjoy a cool swim. Yes, individual mileage varies, but who has the patience to debate every single possible outcome? We know that there'll be exceptions, but as a general rule, since they've evolved to desert conditions, swimming and water play would be contrary to their instincts and enjoyment for the most part.

We humans, on the other hand, are at a definite advantage over Vulcans in this way because we've evolved on a world with a multitude of climatic conditions, so we're wired to adapt to most of them. That's why we can find a safe hike in a desert as enjoyable as a moonlight swim...again individual mileage varies, but in general, sure.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”