Trip and T'Pol's future in the relaunch novels - Your Though

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Trip and T'Pol's future in the relaunch novels - Your Though

Postby CX » Tue May 29, 2007 3:20 am

Reed seems to have quite a bit of technical knowledge. Surely other S31 agents come from technical fields.

Look, this is like pointing something like this out in any other fan fiction, or even in an episode of ENT, and I'm just pointing this out.

Zane Gray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Zane Gray » Tue May 29, 2007 3:41 am

And you're entitled. I understand how it might be hard for you to buy it, but it worked for me.

I don't see Reed as a particularly good fit for this specific assignment. Frankly, T'Pol would be the more logical choice for a lot of reasons, but obviously Section 31 doesn't fully trust the Vulcans at this point.

I think what I like most about the way Trip falls into this, is that he sort of doesn't realize fully what he's gotten himself into until he's neck deep. And it certainly doesn't go smoothly - basically, he just follows Phoung's lead until the guy gets killed, and then he has to just wing it as best he can. And it's not like he really accomplishes the mission objective either, other than that they now know a little more about the Romulans, he makes a sort of connection with/impression on the warp scientist and he's able to give Archer a little bit of warning about the attack on Coridan. But it's not like he has tons of secret data about the Romulan warp program, nor has he stopped it. So his first mission isn't exactly a success. If he'd breezed through it, then I'd say okay I don't buy it. Basically he got lucky and thought well on his feet. There's no Super!Trip here, that's for sure.
Zane Gray

"I'll see you again after this Romulan business is finished. I promise."

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue May 29, 2007 3:52 am

I'm just pointing out that S31 probebly had a lot of other people to pick from among their own ranks before letting Trip in on it, and they already have spook training and experiance. I pointed out Reed because he was also aboard the drone ship, and he showed that he had a certain amount of technical ability throughout the run of the series, and he's already an experianced S31 agent. As for Super!Trip, I have to disagee to a degree. A lot of Super!Archer being Super! was just him getting extrememly lucky, to the point that it stretched believability, so to me this is an extention of that. To me, pointing this out is like everyone pointing out in a couple recent fan fics that T'Pol was somewhat out of character.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue May 29, 2007 4:26 am

I agree that Trip would not be the ideal condidate as a spy. But then again, how much spying is he doing? And how much of it is simply keeping his eyes and ears open and trying not to draw attention to himself? I keep hearing that a lot fo spying consists of simply picking up the day to day information that circulates through a society and sifting through it for the nuggets of significance.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Zane Gray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Zane Gray » Tue May 29, 2007 4:36 am

I actually wonder just how much capability Section 31 had at this point in history.
Zane Gray

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Postby hth2k » Tue May 29, 2007 5:22 am

It seems painfully obvious some accept the premis and others reject it.

It is equally apparent neither is having much luck at persuading others.

Is it not ok to have opinions that may or may not be in agreement?

Perhaps this is one of those times when civil individuals agree to disagree.

HtH
'
No small animals were harmed in preparation of this post.

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Tue May 29, 2007 9:14 am

I pointed out Reed because he was also aboard the drone ship, and he showed that he had a certain amount of technical ability throughout the run of the series, and he's already an experianced S31 agent.

I disagree here,have you seen the part where Ehehrin draws the schematics for the engine ?,i don't know how much Reed would have made out of all that technobabble.
I didn't see Trip as a spy ,i saw him as an someone that S31 enlisted to help them out .
He just followed the lead of Phuong ,and when he died all hell broke lose ,i could fell the despair of the scenes when he tried to escape with Ehrehin .
And i didn't see any Super Trip either ,he had i little luck and got out alive because he befriended Ehrehin ,and because of his tehnical knowledge .

Maybe he seemed to some out of carachter because he goot so much action ,but i don't think just because he was an engineer he only had knowledge about his engines and nothing else.
I think there is more to Trip than the good ol' boy from the south who knows some engineering .
I believed his story in the book because Trip can change ,compare Trip from season 1 an 2 to Trip from season 3 and 4 and i think you know what i mean .

Zane Gray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Zane Gray » Tue May 29, 2007 10:50 am

hth2k wrote:It seems painfully obvious some accept the premis and others reject it.

It is equally apparent neither is having much luck at persuading others.

Is it not ok to have opinions that may or may not be in agreement?

Perhaps this is one of those times when civil individuals agree to disagree.

HtH
'
No small animals were harmed in preparation of this post.

I'm not so sure we're really arguing or trying to persuade at this point, just talking. The tone seems to have gotten a lot more relaxed in the last page or so.
Zane Gray

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue May 29, 2007 11:27 am

I like to think it's just a device to give him a longer life span so he'll be an even more suitable mate for T'Pol "once this Romulan business is over." Bad Grin I mean, what better reason could there be?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue May 29, 2007 3:48 pm

hth2k wrote:No small animals were harmed in preparation of this post.
Guffaw What about big ones? Wink
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Zane Gray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Zane Gray » Tue May 29, 2007 6:59 pm

evcake wrote:I like to think it's just a device to give him a longer life span so he'll be an even more suitable mate for T'Pol "once this Romulan business is over." Bad Grin I mean, what better reason could there be?

I tend to agree with this analysis. Once this Romulan business is over, they'll have been through hell for 7 years. For dramatic purposes, it would seem high time to let them live a long and happy life together.
Zane Gray

aeverett
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby aeverett » Tue May 29, 2007 10:01 pm

I tend to agree with this analysis. Once this Romulan business is over, they'll have been through hell for 7 years. For dramatic purposes, it would seem high time to let them live a long and happy life together.
Exactly. Although personally I don't care how they do it, to me Trip and T'Pol should have a shot at growing old together, not him dying and her growing old alone. However, for me, the explanation has to be believable, and this is.

I also like the aspect that he has to go on this heroic quest for six or seven years in order to earn that future, while she must remain equally strong and noble 'at home', very classical, very romantic, great potential for a real epic IMHO.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Tue May 29, 2007 10:05 pm

Eh, that would weaken T'Pol's character further, IMO.

aeverett
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby aeverett » Tue May 29, 2007 10:23 pm

CX wrote:Eh, that would weaken T'Pol's character further, IMO.
How? Staying on Enterprise, fighting the good fight with Archer and crew, while the books catalogue Trip's adventures behind enemy lines. I'm not saying T'Pol turns into a housewife, but remains strong and Vulcan while battling the Romulans, waiting for Trip's return.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue May 29, 2007 10:27 pm

[/quote]I also like the aspect that he has to go on this heroic quest for six or seven years in order to earn that future, while she must remain equally strong and noble 'at home', very classical, very romantic, great potential for a real epic IMHO.[/quote]

Exactly. Classic. Homeric, in fact.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”