The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Transwarp
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: fanfiction.net

Postby Transwarp » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:39 pm

panyasan wrote:Both Transwarp and Warpgirl have warp in their names.

Yes, and us warps must stick together.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:59 pm

Transwarp wrote: The hardest part will be keeping myself from wandering over to the A/T side of the street and poking them with a stick through the bars of their cage. I must keep reminding myself that I'm above such pettiness. I'm above such pettiness. I'm above such pettiness. I'm above such pettiness... Oh, what the heck, where's my stick?

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:13 pm

For the record, if my bad experience had anything to do with my work and not me I wouldn't mind. But the person who attacked me for got to mention my story. Maybe they added more controls over the five years. There weren't that many when I was there. BTW Transwarp I'll stick with you. :D Just a thought but the A/Ters might be more inclined to lay low if not provoked. You know like wounded animals. Because they are pretty wounded. And about the slash, don't read it at all never will. But it makes no sense why they would make Trip gay to me because he had more women, and sex then any other person on the show! If that doesn't say he's straight what does?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:49 pm

My reply was to Transwarp as she asked for recommendations for what to do/avoid if she posted there and I didn't know how sensitive she might be to what others say.

If you do stray over and poke sticks at the A/T crowd you most likely will open yourself up to some backlash. I have 3 TnT stories there and haven't had a problem yet. I just read what's written, comment on what I like or make real suggestions if I have any and let the writers who I don't like or can't see in my own Enterprise worldview exercise their right to see whatever it is they see or want to see and do their own thing without comment. I leave them alone and they seem to leave me alone. I've even read a couple of other fandoms and haven't seen any really over the top remarks being made so maybe it had calmed down in the last few years.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:53 pm

Cool! But I think Transwarp is a he. Have I gone nuts from sleep deprivation? Cause if I have, :faint: :oops: please put me out of my misery.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:02 pm

I only get story access hits in the hundreds on fanfiction.net. One story did get over 5,000 hits though. Oh, my pen name there is Bineshii.

:evilmonkey: And one time I had a person spam my comments section on several stories. He/she repeated the same negative comment (which had little to do with my story) about 35 times. Then went to another story of mine and entered the same comment 35 times. I complained to the monitor and this person was banned from the site.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:04 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I think Transwarp is a he

I am most certainly a he, for which my wife is ever so grateful. I will also heed pdsldl's advice, and leave my pointy stick in the closet. As for the slash fiction; not my cup of tea.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:36 pm

Transwarp, I like fanfiction.net for several reasons:

1) Their author stats are VERY cool -- you can see how many people are reading your fic each day/each month and what countries they are from (and for some reason that last one totally tickles me). And since all of us have many more readers than we have reviewers, it's nice to see that your audience is much larger than you might otherwise conclude.

2) There are some authors and readers over there that just don't hang out here (at least not publicly), including some authors I generally enjoy, such as BlueDana and Lieuten Keen and Volley and so forth. The Malcolm crowd hangs out there, and I do occasionally read Malcolm fic, and I'll also read Archer fic, at least if BlueDana writes it. I'll even read the occasional A/T piece if it respects the T/T canon. And I'm also usually on the look-out for new TnT'ers who might need an invitation to join the fun over here.

3) Over there, you have total control of what you put up and when you put it up. If there's a problem it shows up when you preview it.

4) I've never had an issue with reviews, though I have seen weird stuff crop up on responses to other's stories -- including bizarre incoherent vulgarities. But I've noticed that when I or someone else complains to the moderators this stuff gets removed, usually within 24 hours. The most savagery I ever see is when someone posts a tiny little paragraph or something. It seems to bring out the absolute worst in reviewers. I don't think you need to worry, though.

5) When you find an author you really like, you can mine that person's profile page for all their other work plus THEIR favorite stories or authors, if they've picked them. You can even do this with people who leave reviews. I've occasionally found good stuff this way.

6) It doesn't apply to me, but if you write in more than one fandom, it's a good place to make cross-connections.

I do think fanfiction.net is the kind of place where you need to post regularly to build a readership -- if you're only popping up occasionally, people who rely on author alerts and so forth might not even notice you're there.

I don't bother to publish my NC-17 fic there. One, technically it's against the rules, and I'm a person who tends to follow the rules even though a lot of the stuff that does go there in the M rating is VERY explicit. Two, not many people see stuff rated M because they have to go in and manually reset the ratings if they want to get it. So personally I use fanfic.net for my "nice" versions of stories and save the version with the smut or extreme violence in it for decon here.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:58 pm

I discovered ff.net a few years ago and have posted all of my work since then at both Triptpolers or TriS and ff.net. I find the qualilty of reviews less useful there than at TripTpolers or TriS (Too many "Yr story iz gr8 plz write more" and such), but I think that's likely due to the fact that the average reader there is much younger. My older stories don't get many hits, but it's fun to log in and check out all the different countries my readers come from every month. It's pretty simple to post stories there. I started with my story "Charlie", which got panned on Triptpolers, so I could see if it was really an awful story or whether I'd just picked the wrong audience. Turns out I picked the wrong audience. Or at least that's what I was able to tell myself after I got a few positive reviews. So for me posting there was worth it.

BnB just started posting chapters of "Payment" this month on ff.net. I'm sure what he's doing is posting a new chapter every few days to give people a chance to review. I know for a fact that he's working on a new chapter and that he's planning to post it when he gets the other chapters up. Just be patient. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:06 pm

pdsldl wrote:My reply was to Transwarp as she asked for recommendations for what to do/avoid if she posted there and I didn't know how sensitive she might be to what others say.
:oops: My mistake.
I like FFnet for the same reasons as Alelou stated. I read a great Archer story by BlueDana, because it was on her list of favorites. I commented on the same stories posted on FFnet and on TRIS, because I want a writer to know I am enjoying their hard work (I personally can't get enough of comments myself). Lots of times I will find a new element in the story that struck me, so my second comment is different then the first. For me it's also fun to find out that there are more TnT fans from my home country then just Buurman and me. My favorite FFnet fic is still Divergent Paths from Rigil Kent. I sure hope he will finish that fic one day.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:11 pm

@Dis.

You're right. Those stats of ff.net are something else. When I first posted "Trip Of A Lifetime" there, I was utterly surprized by having more readers from Paraguay than my native Germany :lol:

The publishing system there is great. I sort of like that here the stories go through some sort of scruitiny before being posted, that weeds out potentially sick stuff, but what I dislike is the intransparent process. I send a mail with the story and then I have to wait (sometimes weeks) before it - maybe - shows up with no means to know what the status is.

But on the other hand, over here, I know the audience is mainly people with similar expectations and not A/T'ers or slash lovers. That's why I post the refined, final versions here :)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:40 pm

panyasan wrote: My favorite FFnet fic is still Divergent Paths from Rigil Kent. I sure hope he will finish that fic one day.

No kidding! Damn, but I hate receiving those notices about chapter 86 or whatever it is on his NCIS story. Almost makes me wish I watched that show, although from all the grumbling, it's probably not worth getting invested.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 pm

Well to be fair my horrible experience, was with a branch of the SW's crowd. And by and large most of the ST crowd has been so much better than the SW's crowd. Still I'm very gun-shy about posting there. But maybe I'll reconsider. But it was pretty terrible for me... Oh IDK! :dunno: Glad I didn't screw up your gender Transwarp.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Have to admit tht it would take courage to put up stories in front of such a large audience. I would be terrrfied. Even if I had some years expence writing and was putting out at a better level. Tough outside jelly inside.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:32 pm

Sorry I tried to change your gender Transwarp. Don't know why I thought you were a gal but now I know better.

Alelou does what I do. I read the Enterprise stuff a writer puts up then I go t their profile and check out their other stuff and what they've flagged as being good, if I like their stories. Found some stories I like in fandoms, I'd never check out otherwise, just because I liked the writers style.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”