A Hard Bargain: A COMPLETED TnT Story

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: A Hard Bargain: A COMPLETED TnT Story

Postby justTripn » Mon May 28, 2007 1:39 pm

Well I actually read "A Hard Bargain" and skimmed the tread. I don't have any problems with your reasoning about the pon farr, but I don't love the story. Here's the problem for me: Certain plots are just easy to do so they are always done: T'Pol goes into pon farr and asks Trip for help; T'Pol goes into pon farr and doesn't have access to Trip facing a no win situation; T'Pol or Trip gets sick and the other nurses their friend back to health, falling in love in the process. So if you attempt one of those stories, you better be a fantastic, poetic writer if you want to beat the stories already out there along those lines. If you are not a fantastic, poetic writer (like I'm not) well then fill your story with plots, sublplots, sub-subplots, plot twists, mystery, and maybe some humor. Add something special to make it your own--put it in a setting only you are familiar with. But don't waste a set-up like that with a short, straight-forward viginnette.

Having said all that, self-expression is another reason for writing, so . . . it has that value. And try, try again . . . maybe people will like the next one.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Mon May 28, 2007 6:44 pm

justTrip'n wrote:Well I actually read "A Hard Bargain" and skimmed the tread. I don't have any problems with your reasoning about the pon farr, but I don't love the story. Here's the problem for me: Certain plots are just easy to do so they are always done: T'Pol goes into pon farr and asks Trip for help; T'Pol goes into pon farr and doesn't have access to Trip facing a no win situation; T'Pol or Trip gets sick and the other nurses their friend back to health, falling in love in the process. So if you attempt one of those stories, you better be a fantastic, poetic writer if you want to beat the stories already out there along those lines. If you are not a fantastic, poetic writer (like I'm not) well then fill your story with plots, sublplots, sub-subplots, plot twists, mystery, and maybe some humor. Add something special to make it your own--put it in a setting only you are familiar with. But don't waste a set-up like that with a short, straight-forward viginnette.

Having said all that, self-expression is another reason for writing, so . . . it has that value. And try, try again . . . maybe people will like the next one.

I would agree with this completely.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu May 31, 2007 7:14 am

[[/quote] I didn't realize anyone thought T'Pol's actions were meant to produce a child. She chose an anonymous Andorian because Andorians, unlike humans, are so genetically dissimilar that that no conception would be possible. And yes, she is a victim here. She is a victim of *the_abomination*. This is a consequence story, my interpretation of a plausible scenerio (T'Pol facing pon farr with no mate and no desire to take another mate) resulting from Trip's death.

This is an emotional Kobiashi Maru for T'Pol. This story is supposed to be depressing.[/quote]

After your comment I red your story again and I can understand your train of thoughts. The discussion got me thinking from freedom of choice till my friends abroad how are trying very well to live in a culture that surely limites them. So that is a good thing. The story is well written, but TPol has in your story no escape routes. And that is depressing, like your story suppossed to be. But it does not make my cry or anything, just anry and looking for escape routes..
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”