The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Things that didn't make sense in "the_abomination"

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:17 am

Okay, so the whole damn episode was full of things that didn't make sense or just seemed wrong. Here's a few that struck me.

1) Everyone confiding in chef. Huh? :? If there was a "Dear Abby" on the ship it was Phlox, not Chef!

2) T'Pol's weird, choppy way of saying "you mean our romantic relationship? That ended six years ago." Huh? :? Again. And why did they break up when it was obvious that they were together at the end of Terra Prime?

3) T'Pol telling chef when asked if she missed Trip that as a Vulcan she didn't miss people.

4) T'Pol telling Trip she would miss him.

5) T'Pol telling Archer that she missed her mother more and more as the years went on. In TWO episodes she makes a big deal out of telling Trip that she didn't miss her mother - that was in the past - and oh, yeah, she obviously missed poor baby Elizabeth, too.

6) Where the HELL was security when the ALiens were going after Schran! Sensors on the bridge would have notified them that intruders were aboard.

7) Why didn't Trip come up with a better idea than blowing himself up? He did it before several times.

9) Why didn't Archer and Trip beat the poop out of the aliens? Archer and Trip were trained in hand to hand combat!
Sure there were three of them with weapons, but they wanted Schran and they needed Archer and/or Trip to take them to him!

10) When Trip is "dying" one minute he's gasping for air and loooking panicked, and the next as they slide him into the hyperbaric chamber he seems to be quite comfortable?

I recently read (I think it was a Braga interview on Trek Yoday that he recognizes that the episode was all wrong. Well, duh.....Besides being an insult to the fans it was poorly put together, don't you think?

I know therre's more inconsisttencies and contradictions in the ep. Let's discuss.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Things that didn't make sense in "the_abomination"

Postby Aquarius » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:19 am

I think you'd have an easier/shorter time listing what did make sense.

Oh, right on...that would be NOTHING!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:26 am

Aikiweezie, frankly I don't think it is possible to discuss of absurdities.
"The abomination" was a vortex of imbecilities.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:43 am

How 'bout these?

1. No one's gotten promoted despite active duty in war time.
2. Trip never graduated from college and learned how to fix warp engines by fixing boats in Florida. :vulcan:
Image sig by chrisis1033

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:47 am

The aliens' ship was only capable of Warp 2, and yet it came out of nowhere and caught up with Enterprise.

Shran, a criminal? Tough sell without a compelling storyline which, of course, we didn't have.

Hoshi, Travis, and Malcolm not at all bothered by Trip's death at the charter signing.

T'Pol's messy haircut. Illogical.

Then, of course, there's Riker supposedly getting insight from this. :vulcan:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:51 am

The Beginning

The End

Everything in between
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:05 am

Analyzing this 'thing' is as much a waste of precious time as watching it in the first place. TPTB just made sure that the franchise was properly trashed, when they abandoned it. I have chosen to deny its existance completely. It was just a holo program and as we have seen during TNG, a lot of weird stuff goes on in that holodeck.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:11 am

Kotik wrote: TPTB just made sure that the franchise was properly trashed, when they abandoned it.

Y'know, that sort of goes along with my impression as I watched it the first time. I kept feeling like they said "F--- it!" and figuratively burned it down to the ground as best they could, since they couldn't exactly literally do it.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:42 am

They didn't abandon it. The network abandoned it. It cancelled their asses.

I agree there was a strong element of nihilistic 'fine, I'll kick my sand castle to pieces myself then!' in that script, even if they weren't conscious of it at the time.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:56 pm

Alelou wrote:They didn't abandon it. The network abandoned it. It cancelled their asses.

I agree there was a strong element of nihilistic 'fine, I'll kick my sand castle to pieces myself then!' in that script, even if they weren't conscious of it at the time.

What I don't understand, why did they kill off Trip then? Killing of Archer would be more logical in that respect.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:59 pm

It just shows that Trip was really their favorite.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:33 pm

panyasan wrote: What I don't understand, why did they kill off Trip then? Killing of Archer would be more logical in that respect.

Killing off your favorite character is a pointless stupid way and then having his best friends seem to not care a whole hell of a lot does not make any sense to me.

Besides Trip was dead once (Observer Effect), Brain damaged and in a coma once (Similitude) beaten up a few times, burned countless times, shot several times already (I'm sure I missed an injury or two in there) WHY do something terrible to him again? Were B & B sadists?

If you're as old as I am and remember M*A*S*H they killed an major character off (granted, not at the end) Henry - the C.O. and the episode was beautiful. If they HAD to kill off Trip they should have done it like that. But really, the episode was only an hour and they had too many loose ends to tie up, which it turns out they didn't anyway.

Okay - I'm done. Apparently I am still bitter and angy anout this episode. :bitch: I need to let it gooooooooo. Maybe analyzing this makes no sense.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:58 pm

I think Trip was used as a Miles O'Brian style character throughout the whole series.

I remember that DS9 had at least one "O'Brian must suffer" episode in each season. Same concept with Trip, really

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:32 pm

Ending the TnT romance and then killing Trip wwas the best way that Bragga could give the fans the big Middle Finger that he so wanted to do.

Still convinced that Bragga disliked the fans but needed them so he could get a fat contract.
Had Bragga the best interest of the fans in mind we would have had a far better Enterprise and probably more seasons.

IMHO
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:35 pm

One other thing that didn't make sense was the fact that *the_abomination* supposed to be take place during the TNG-episode The Pergasus. Besides from the fact that Riker doesn't look like the Riker in that episode (he has aged), it doesn't fit the episode at all.
On top of that, I have a really hard time to understand why any councelor would advice Riker to see this hologram programm to make a desicion to come clear with his captain Picard and forget his loyality to the other captain, who acted against Starfleets laws.
So the message of The Pergasus is: truth and justice are more important that following your leader blindly and Riker realized this by watching a holo programm about following your leader blindly.
:vulcan:
Is this a case of some weird reversed psychology, Counselor Troi?
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”