The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Why and how

Postby evcake » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:40 am

Can anyone think of a reason a Vulcan community might raise a human child? And how they might do it?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Why and how

Postby TPoptarts » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:46 am

Uh... I can... but that's gonna like totally ruin all my WIP fics. Assuming I ever finish any of them Confused Twisted Evil
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:48 am

Explain? Very Happy

Banner by JadziaKathryn

aeverett
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby aeverett » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:48 am

I think it depends on the community. If it is some deep space vessel that comes accross a terran child whose parents are dead or that child is alone, I doubt any Vulcan, even during the reign of the High Command, would just leave the kid in it's poopy diaper to starve to death and fly off. There would have to be some reason the Vulcans couldn't return the child to its rightful parents or at least to Earth.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:07 am

Many moons ago, I had an idea about a "bridge" series (set between ENT & TOS) with a human character raised by Vulcans. Basically, the child was a freebirth Augment (as in, the child of two tube-birthed Augments that had been created/hatched/whatever by a splinter group of Terra Prime). The adoptive mother was a Vulcan who had experienced back-to-back miscarriages and basically adopted the human infant without consulting her mate, although he eventually grew to cherish the boy as his own son. It occurred to me that no one would understand Augments (or at least, the way I perceive Augments) like a Vulcan, so a Vulcan-raised Augment would be an impressive sight...

Of course, this same series idea had a young female Vulcan CMO who was more human than the Augment. She had a thing for pecan pie and had really bad taste in shirts... Cool
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:16 am

Rigil Kent wrote:She had a thing for pecan pie and had really bad taste in shirts... Cool

Your series idea involved me?? Confused Confused Confused
ImageImage

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:17 am

You're a young Vulcan (or ... uh ... half-Vulcan) Chief Medical Officer? Cool
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:27 am

No, I'm a young uh... half Vulcan with a really bad taste in shirts. Haven't been to med school just yet (though I did take 4 years of med studies but that was like in grade school) Twisted Evil Cool
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:39 am

aeverett wrote:I think it depends on the community. If it is some deep space vessel that comes accross a terran child whose parents are dead or that child is alone, I doubt any Vulcan, even during the reign of the High Command, would just leave the kid in it's poopy diaper to starve to death and fly off. There would have to be some reason the Vulcans couldn't return the child to its rightful parents or at least to Earth.

The community would be an out-of-the-way provincial one on Vulcan itself. The child would have been born on Vulcan.

Banner by JadziaKathryn

aeverett
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby aeverett » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:57 am

The community would be an out-of-the-way provincial one on Vulcan itself. The child would have been born on Vulcan.
If the child's human parents died and named a Vulcan his or her guardian, perhaps it could work. If the will was airtight, Earth's government probably wouldn't squawk.

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hondafan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:38 pm

Ahh yes that would be interesting a Vulcan raising an augment? Interesting.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:42 pm

Seems like Vulcan discipline would be more likely to produce a stable Augment, what with the Augments' anger and aggression problems and all. I'd like to read that story.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:56 pm

Please write that story, Rigil. It sounds intriguing.

Another idea might be a Vulcan adopting the child of a Human friend because the friend asked him to raise the child if he died. Duty and obligation are strong in Vulcans.

Then, and this is not an actual adoption: a Human child living on Earth latches onto some Vulcan working there, as a mentor. The Human child does not get the mentoring he needs at home for some reason and the Vulcan kinda bonds with the kid without really wanting to 'adopt' the little pest at first. The relationship grows on him. The kid grows up and goes to Vulcan for advanced education with the help of his Vulcan mentor.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:58 pm

Ops, sorry Aeverett, just saw you had the same idea.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:41 pm

Perhaps a sect of Vulcans that didn't go in for all that modern techonology and who lives in the deep desert, finds the child (I presume this is a young child who can't tell them anything about its family) wandering, its parents killed during a sandfire storm that came up unexpectedly, and takes the child in?

And when the authorities come looking for the parents in their last known location, the child is gone (along with any traces of it) but there's evidence of sehlats or lematyas around the crash site, so they presume that the child was attacked and killed by them... so no one realizes that the child was still alive.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”