- Counting Down to Zero - Chapters 1 & 2, by Rigil Kent

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: The Guardian of Forever

Postby Alelou » Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:57 pm

Hmm. Would it be too rude to ask Rigil for a guarantee he's going to FINISH this one?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Alelou wrote:Hmm. Would it be too rude to ask Rigil for a guarantee he's going to FINISH this one?

Yeah!
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:25 pm

Good luck trying to prod him into it. :?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:05 am

I think he would say I've already prodded him more than enough.

Lurking, Rigil? Remember Divergent Paths? What about that one, huh? Huh? :poke:
Image.Image

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:25 pm

^
Maybe you ought to lay off. As he himself has stated elsewhere, numerous times, he is a full time college student and that is his priority at the moment, and he isn't taking a bunch of cupcake classes. At least one of those is an upper level class that involves reading a bunch of dry books and then writing a bunch of book reviews about those books for the class, and those particular professors have the reputation for being the hardest ones in the department. So if you want to know what he's been writing for the most part lately, that would be it.

Writing fanfic is a hobby, not his life. Nor is being on the Internet, listening to people like you criticize him for not finishing his works. How many stories have you written that are multi-chapter fics, set within your own series, with each chapter having to maintain its continuity with the previous chapters as well as the previous fics? Hmmm? How many? And to sustain the same level of interest in the story over a period of years?

He's on his eighth story in the main Endeavour universe, a series he's been writing for nearly 3 years now. I think he is more than a little entitled to a break in writing, especially if the characters and situations don't want to work with him. Would you prefer to have the same level of excellence he's given you in the past, or would you prefer that he phone it in, like a number of authors who give you the same paint-by-numbers plot that you've seen a thousand times before? If that excellence means we have to wait, then so be it. I'd rather read another chapter where he leaves me hanging because he's got another horribly evil cliffhanger at the end, than a mediocre offering because he's been guilt-tripped into writing "something" to appease the masses...

As for Divergent Paths, he had the idea for that story for over a year before he ever published the first chapter of it (and if you want to know how I know that, it's because I was one of the people he bounced ideas for it off of when he was first establishing the whole scenario)--and as he stated, he's writing that particular story differently than the rest, in that he is not using an outline with a definite end point that he's trying to reach (well, he does have ideas for stuff that is coming up in the future, but he's nowhere near the point where those ideas will come into play). He is very much the type of person who doesn't easily come up with stories without outlines, he much prefers having it plotted out so he knows what he wants to happen and where in the story before he starts writing, so Divergent Paths is a challenge of another sort to him.

So just leave him alone. He'll write when he's ready.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Apr 07, 2008 1:52 pm

Jedikatie wrote:^
Maybe you ought to lay off. As he himself has stated elsewhere, numerous times, he is a full time college student and that is his priority at the moment, and he isn't taking a bunch of cupcake classes. At least one of those is an upper level class that involves reading a bunch of dry books and then writing a bunch of book reviews about those books for the class, and those particular professors have the reputation for being the hardest ones in the department. So if you want to know what he's been writing for the most part lately, that would be it.

Writing fanfic is a hobby, not his life. Nor is being on the Internet, listening to people like you criticize him for not finishing his works. How many stories have you written that are multi-chapter fics, set within your own series, with each chapter having to maintain its continuity with the previous chapters as well as the previous fics? Hmmm? How many? And to sustain the same level of interest in the story over a period of years?

He's on his eighth story in the main Endeavour universe, a series he's been writing for nearly 3 years now. I think he is more than a little entitled to a break in writing, especially if the characters and situations don't want to work with him.Would you prefer to have the same level of excellence he's given you in the past, or would you prefer that he phone it in, like a number of authors who give you the same paint-by-numbers plot that you've seen a thousand times before? If that excellence means we have to wait, then so be it. I'd rather read another chapter where he leaves me hanging because he's got another horribly evil cliffhanger at the end, than a mediocre offering because he's been guilt-tripped into writing "something" to appease the masses...

As for Divergent Paths, he had the idea for that story for over a year before he ever published the first chapter of it (and if you want to know how I know that, it's because I was one of the people he bounced ideas for it off of when he was first establishing the whole scenario)--and as he stated, he's writing that particular story differently than the rest, in that he is not using an outline with a definite end point that he's trying to reach (well, he does have ideas for stuff that is coming up in the future, but he's nowhere near the point where those ideas will come into play). He is very much the type of person who doesn't easily come up with stories without outlines, he much prefers having it plotted out so he knows what he wants to happen and where in the story before he starts writing, so Divergent Paths is a challenge of another sort to him.

So just leave him alone. He'll write when he's ready.

You've made some valid points - and I am among those who are amazed at his writing - about time being at a premium. However, Alelou was asking if it was rude, which indicates a lot more sensitivity that you're giving credit for. And this is posted on a board Rigil has clearly stated he was leaving. So I think this ranting tone is rather unnecessary.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:53 pm

It's true, nobody has ever accused me of having excessive sensitivity. Or tact...

If I'm annoying Rigil I hope he'll feel free to let me know, since we do correspond from time to time. Speaking as a writer myself (if one who fails to reach the rarified heights Rigil does) I find it rather charming to be nagged for more.
Image.Image

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:12 pm

Chill out ladies. As a writer and a male, I find being poked for more is quite a compliment, and I find that being defended is quite touching. I sincerely doubt, having spent some time corresponding with Rigil myself, that he would be offended by anything that anyone has written in this thread so far. Let's call it a draw. Okay? Peace? We are all friends here.

Myself, I have been going to Rigil's blog and begging him on bended knee in person. It hasn't worked, but he didn't get ticked. Yet.

But on the other hand, he DID join VulcanSpace...
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:49 pm

Well just to throw my two cents worth in, although Jedikatie, you make some good points, I too think you were a bit too heavy handed in your manner of saying so. And I hope, like Bnb said, that Rigil would take people wanting more of his writing as a compliment. I would love to see people with the quality of writing of Rigil, Blacknblue, Distracted, and other fanfiction writers someday actually get published.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:28 pm

We are published. We are published online. Same as you are. So we don't get paid in money, so what? We are published just the same.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:43 pm

LOL, yes we are published! I meant, considered "professional writers" who actually do get "paid"! But you do realize that publishers like Simon and Schuster do not consider us published - at least for contests like the Strange New Worlds contest (now ended), which had a rule that when you were "published" three times, you were no longer eligible for the contest.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:30 pm

I've always taken being "poked" as a complement as well. And I think Rigil would. If anyone wants to find him, BTW, he's been posting to rigil-kent.LiveJournal.com and Vulcanspace.ning.com.
Writing as TrekPyro.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:29 am

He posts at WeWantBrunetteJolene.com too, but he's going into self imposed web-exile due to an increased work load at college. Which means this could potentially be the last update from him in a while.

New Stories Added:
- Enterprise section
- Counting Down to Zero - Chapter 3, by Rigil Kent

Return to “Other Trek”