Your place to discuss any Trek that does not fit in the above categories

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Reflections from a DS9 Newb...

Postby Linda » Mon May 21, 2007 8:23 pm

Shades of grey is apt. Some people think DS9 is a dark series. I don't, I think it is more realistic. And it still has the hopeful future theme underlying it. It ends hopefully, but like ENT, there is a point when it seems all could be lost. The setting on a station gave it much more potential for variety in story lines: the station itself, all the ships coming and going, the Gamma Quadrant accessible through the worm hole, the planet of Bajor, and not too far away was Cardasia.

Elessar, I didn't catch it that Sisko was an engineer earlier in his career. Makes sense though, with a huge station that had to be converted from the Cardasian technology that O'Brien struggled with. And I always wondered why the command was not given to an admiral. It seemed a very large and strategically important command.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Mon May 21, 2007 10:19 pm

Sisko allways liked to be hands on in the engineering design and upgrades on the Station in Civil Defense they were deep Sisko, Jake & O'Brien in the old Ore processing plants. I love the arguments between Garak and Dukat in OPS great scene stealing moments in that show. I love Garak's line that Kira had better taste in men and better sense for not falling for Dukats B.S. stories. I loved th expression on his face. Laughing They were the only 2 people who could freely move through the station because of being cardassians. And The Defiant was designed to fight Borg and survived the attack in first Contact it was a tough ship!

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon May 21, 2007 11:18 pm

Sisko used to be an engineer? I missed that!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue May 22, 2007 12:15 am

Something else I've noticed (random thought here): the Teasers of DS9 are really long. Not that long teasers is necessarily a bad thing, but it really stands out to me in this era of 40 minute hour long shows.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue May 22, 2007 12:45 am

Elessar wrote:One thing I DO like about Sisko, is that it is kind of inferred that his job before he got to the level where your "job" was irrelevant you're a Command officer, was an engineer. Because later they talk about how he helped design the Defiant, so he's actually an engineer, or was, before he became a command level officer and that 'job' thing became 'command'.

I wouldn't say that's the only thing I liked. I liked him a lot, most of his scenes were great. Far Beyond the Stars is about the best Trek out there in regards to pure sci fi and thinking "way out there". And yes, his interactions with Jake were believable on a very fatherly level.

He occassionally lost patience with people. He had a lot to put up with. But a good boss and a good father.
Far Beyond the Stars reminded me of those Xena episodes where the characters are used in pretty much the same way. Or did those come later?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Tue May 22, 2007 2:27 am

After a while you will realize, Rigil, that Quark is by far the sanest person on the station.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue May 22, 2007 3:07 am

Anybody ever figure out what sort of game Dabbo was?
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue May 22, 2007 4:39 am

It seemed to me to be a combination of poker, roulette, and craps.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue May 22, 2007 12:41 pm

Bnb, you always have the most apt responses! Hey, someone has to stick up for, the Ferengi, right? We all live in the material continuum. And I practice one of their rules of acquisition: "Exploitation begins at home". My grandkids are being trained in boat maintenance!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue May 22, 2007 3:12 pm

Elessar, who do you think is the staple-babe? The only one I can come up with is Ezri.
Linda wrote:And I always wondered why the command was not given to an admiral. It seemed a very large and strategically important command.

It wasn't initially; when he was assigned to it, DS9 was an edge-of-nowhere station. Then he and Dax discovered the wormhole, and it grew in importance. However, the Bajorans decided he was their religious Emissary and probably wouldn't have taken kindly to his transfer.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue May 22, 2007 6:38 pm

No, I thought even at the beginning it was a post too large for just a commander.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue May 22, 2007 7:08 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:Elessar, who do you think is the staple-babe? The only one I can come up with is Ezri.
Linda wrote:And I always wondered why the command was not given to an admiral. It seemed a very large and strategically important command.

It wasn't initially; when he was assigned to it, DS9 was an edge-of-nowhere station. Then he and Dax discovered the wormhole, and it grew in importance. However, the Bajorans decided he was their religious Emissary and probably wouldn't have taken kindly to his transfer.

Oh no way! Ezri was awesome! I have always wanted to meet Nicole deBoer so bad. I actually meant Chase Masterson, the Dabbo girl. I forget her character's name.... if that tells you how seriously I took her Razz
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Tue May 22, 2007 7:17 pm

Leeta Smile
ImageImage

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed May 23, 2007 12:26 am

No way to Erzi. She was a real, not some cardboard cutout. I was about to say there was no "babe." I liked that about the series. Leeta, yeah, I guess, but she was minor.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Wed May 23, 2007 1:38 am

Three more episodes today. I actually took notes.

Q-Less: Hated it. I've never liked Q, and this was no different. The "station in peril" subplot was ridiculously predictable, and there was, IMO, far too much technobabble in this ep, much more than in previous eps.

Dax: Much better. Out of the three I watched tonight, this is the only one I really liked, even if it was a little too obvious that the dead general was the "bad guy" way back when. I especially like how Sisko actually delegated to his officers, something I don't ever recall seeing Super!Archer do. It was weird seeing Gregory Itzin again ... uh ... I guess "before". The arbiter lady cracked me up 'cause she didn't take crap, and I liked that Dax's quarters actually had knick-nacks in it instead of being ultra-sterile like too many Trek crew quarters. How close was that planet anyway? Odo got the old lady back to DS9 in under an hour.

The Passenger: A resounding "Meh." Pretty predictable and paint-by-the-numbers, IMO. It was so obviously Bashir "under the influence" that it was painful. Weird seeing Caitlin Brown out of her Narn makeup (Bab5, she played Na'Toth, I think). I liked that the new security guy turned out to be useful after all, instead of just being a goober. Nice subtle reference to a katra transfer by Bashir. Odo grew on me a little bit in this episode; he's an ass who is cool with being an ass. Siddig was a little too over the top as Vantika (sp?), and I loathed the technobabble solution. O'Brian was noticeable in his absence as this is the second ep in a row where he didn't make an appearance. Also seems like Dax is becoming the "station babe," which, while understandable since I think she is the most attractive female present, is a little disappointing.

So, out of three, I really liked 1, thought 1 was mediocre, and hated 1. People weren't kidding when they said this first season is hit and miss...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Other Trek”