Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Reflections from a DS9 Newb...

Postby CoffeeCat » Sun May 27, 2007 11:42 pm

Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!

I found a whole bunch of DS9 online. Now I can pick up where I left off! Woo Hoo! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Writing as TrekPyro.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon May 28, 2007 2:15 am

CoffeeCat wrote:Yes Yes Yes Yes Yes!!!!

I found a whole bunch of DS9 online. Now I can pick up where I left off! Woo Hoo! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Where? Where? Where?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon May 28, 2007 2:18 am

I'll send you a PM (mods don't want the tv links here)

FYI: I did find more Enterprise online.
Writing as TrekPyro.

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Mon May 28, 2007 11:18 am

^Sign me up! Smile
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue May 29, 2007 10:50 pm

Watched the three part second season opener today, and all three episodes were very strong. Compared to the second season opener of ENT, this is heads and tails better. That's not to say that everything was perfect in these three eps, mind you.

The Homecoming was a strong first episode of the season that had some really great interaction between Jake & his dad. The purple-haired alien chick was pretty cool-looking - the makeup they did for her was really neat. I really appreciated the fact that Sisko sent O'Brien with Kira to liberate Li Nalas from the slave camp; if this had been ENT, Super!Archer would have gone along to leap small buildings in a single bound. The security at the camp was pretty lame, though, and I thought they were able to get there and back too easily. It was also hard for me to buy that this was a really harsh labor camp; yeah, it didn't look enjoyable, but it sure wasn't the death camp that had been mentioned. I really felt sorry for Li Nalas as he just wanted to be left alone so he could live his life, especially once you learned how he became this larger than life Hero.

The Circle followed up on the strength of the previous episode fairly well, although I thought the crew interaction in Kira's quarters was way too sitcomy. It really wasn't much of a surprise that Frank Langella was a bad guy 'cause that's all he seems to play. I did appreciate that he wasn't an over-the-top bad guy though. My Air Force roommate who has already seen these episodes commented that the government of Turkey really reminds him of how fraked up Bajor was run. I thought Kira looked great in her civvies, particularly her hair.

The Siege was a very good final episode of this arc. Unlike the three episode arcs of season 4 ENT, the final episode of that arc didn't stink, which was a pleasant surprise. Had to roll my eyes just a little bit at the fact that apparently, all of Bajor's moons can support life. I enjoyed the Dax/Kira interaction, though, and, while I was glad to see the Starfleeters use a smoke grenade, it took too long for it to ignite. Best line in the ep, IMO, was "Well fought, sir." coming from the general to Li Nalas. It was a little sad that Li died ('cause I really liked the character), and I loved how O'Brien didn't recognize the nearly mythic character that Kira was describing from his interactions with the man.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Wed May 30, 2007 4:26 pm

I really like the the season 2 3 part arc had great character moments and they all worked well together with the three different storylines . Great storytelling and the political strifre on bajor and the Cardassians plotting and how they find out the truth.How the Cirlcle got the weapons and how they rescued Kira and how they fought back on the station how Starfleet and the Bajorans worked together to tell the truth of whatwas happening with the Cardassians.Everyone got great character moments I Li Nalas he was a character I liked and was sorry they killed him off.I liked Kira and Dax flying the Bajoran ship and fighting above Bajor and surviving the crash.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu May 31, 2007 1:30 am

Just one today 'cause I wasn't feeling super motivated. Finished out the first disc with Invasive Procedures. It was kind of ... bleh. While it was funny seeing Tuvok the Klingon (who got schooled first by Sisko, and then by Kira and Odo), as well as Lionel Luthor the Trill, the episode was just kind of boring to me. I guess I just don't understand about the Trill. I mean, which one is the actual Trill? If only 1 in 10 are selected for "blending", that means that the humanoid with the spots and the symbiont (is that right? I kept hearing an "n" in there) are two distinctly different species. *shrug*

I found the episode's resolution to be pretty predictable ... although I can't comprehend why they don't seriously penalize Quark since this is the fourth or fifth time he's been linked to an "incident."

Hopefully, I'll like the next episode better.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Thu May 31, 2007 2:09 am

Well, I think you're going to be disappointed if you're waiting for something to happen to Quark.

He gets into trouble more than once, but not much punishment ever really comes his way. Well, except for the time the Ferengi Bar Association showed up (you might like that one in spite of not liking the Ferengi very much--Jeffery Combs plays Brunt), and the few times that Odo sticks him in jail but Quark always ends out not staying in there for very long.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu May 31, 2007 2:12 am

*grumble grumble*

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Thu May 31, 2007 2:17 am

^
Sorry.

I wouldn't say that Quark's got an easy road ahead of him, but he's also not the one who's going to suffer the most out of the three main Ferengi on DS9. He will have his ups and downs, but he will essentially remain what he is: a somewhat shady businessman, whose schemes rarely pan out the way he wants them to, who is trying to rise higher than his current lot in life.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Thu May 31, 2007 2:33 am

Quark does get into alot of trouble but in the Dominion war arc he plays an important role as well as Rom and Nog in future seasons.There's an episode Business as usual where Quark's cousin Gayla is a weapons dealers and he has a crisis of conscience and he has hard choices to make .About weapons dealing and what the consequences are these people he's dealing are very nasty people.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu May 31, 2007 5:53 am

I really, really like the Trill. In fact, when I was in high school I wrote an "original" story where I more or less shamelessly copied the idea. Only, the protaganist was me and I got to slam my awful biology teacher. Rolling Eyes After serious revision to it, I wrote a sequel. I just like the idea of the Trill and a joined species. *shrug* It's fascinating to me. I always enjoyed Trill stuff.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Thu May 31, 2007 10:11 pm

I like the Trill and episodes like Equilibrium and facets. One of my favorite Ds9 books is The Lives Of Dax. Because it has the stories of the previous hosts and you learn about their lives and how it ties into the Dax symbioant memories.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Thu May 31, 2007 10:13 pm

Reanok wrote:I like the Trill and episodes like Equilibrium and facets. One of my favorite Ds9 books is The Lives Of Dax. Because it has the stories of the previous hosts and you learn about their lives and how it ties into the Dax symbioant memories.

Yes! That is an awesome book.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:24 am

Did two episodes tonight ... I'm gonna shoot for two eps/day when possible...

Cardassians was an interesting episode with a resolution that I didn't particularly care for. I'm finding myself really liking the two recurring Cardassians of the show for radically dissimilar reasons. Garak is fun 'cause he's so full of crap that you don't know whose side he's on; Gul Dukat is neat 'cause, IMO, the Cardassian make-up looks the best on him (that uber long neck and all) and 'cause he simply makes a good bad guy. Anyway, the episode itself posed some very interesting questions and I find myself disagreeing with Sisko's decision to send the kid with the Cardassian. Even in the beginning of the episode, though, I couldn't figure out by what authority Sisko could take that kid from the Bajoran dad since that is a Bajoran station. I'm also a little confused about the timeline: just a couple episodes ago, Kira stated that, a year earlier, she had been in the Resistance ... yet now they're implying that the Cardassians left Bajor eight years ago. Which is it? I really liked how O'Brien and the kid bonded over really crappy food, and Sisko's sarcastic "Will one runabout be enough?" cracked me up. So, the ep was slightly above average, IMO.

Melora was ... difficult to define. On one hand, I really liked the idea of a species from a micro-gravity world and the difficulties they would face (even if they wouldn't look a thing like this chick. That's Trek for you, I guess). On the other hand, the episode was just kind of ... blah. Paint-by-numbers, I guess, with the guest star love interest for one of the cast (I hate those). There was some very good Bashir/Melora interaction throughout this entire episode (he got some seriously good zingers on her in this ep), but I had difficulty buying that he hadn't ever been in micro-gravity before. Wouldn't that be a required course at the Academy? I totally dug the Vulcan music, and loved Odo's expression when Quark told him the frankly stupid-looking bad guy was trying to kill the Ferengi. The tweak to Melora seemed like genetic engineering, and I thought that was outlawed in the Federation. So, the ep with average to below average: an interesting premise shackled by a predictable resolution.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Other Trek”