The Whine thread.

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Bookworm
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Whine thread.

Postby Bookworm » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:49 pm

:) Feeling better. It's amazing what a good night's sleep can do to your mood and a hubby who gets you to eventually laugh at yourself.

Competitive university world where you try to become a good scientist is kind of hard sometimes. Finland is a very small country and when there is only one research group and only one professor available in the research area you are interested in, that person holds so much power over your future and could make the beginning of your career hard, because it's very difficult to get anywhere and get a job if someone doesn't take you under their wing and help you to start your career and recommend you to graduate schools and other universities and so on.
Fortunately I know that the professor isn't a sonuvabitch so it will probably be allright. I also know that he has a daugther few years younger than I am and she is starting her studies in science, so maybe he can relate to the problems of young emotional female students better than some other professors.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:07 pm

That *is* frustrating.

Even tho Canada is small in population terms, it sure helps to be able to run 5600 miles away from your prof if he's stalling your career.

'Course that's only if one of you is in St. John's Newfoundland, and one of you is in Beaver Creek, Yukon Territory.....

....but it's a big place nonetheless. :lol:

Glad you're feeling better. Nothing worse than crying when you don't want to. It's happened to me many a time.
Last edited by enterprikayak on Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:10 pm

I am glad you feel better, Bookworm! And if things are not working out at home, you have the rest of the planet to search for a university and a mentor! And who knows, maybe the daughter you have someday will be studying on another world! How about that! A PhD from the Vulcan Science Academy! :D
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:14 pm

Take JadziaKathryn for example - she just arrived in Australia to study and sent us post here on the Triaxian Silk board about it!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Linda wrote:I am glad you feel better, Bookworm! And if things are not working out at home, you have the rest of the planet to search for a university and a mentor! And who knows, maybe the daughter you have someday will be studying on another world! How about that! A PhD from the Vulcan Science Academy! :D

Aureilia and I have a joke. When we arrive back at home after a drive or a walk, I say, "We're home to the moon!" (it's a line from Dora the Explorer).

and she goes, "No! Home to our house!"

and I go, "No! Home to the MOOOOON!"

and she goes, "Moon too far away. Need a rocket ship."

After this exchange she often looks thoughtful, and then says, "And we go to the moon on a rocket ship? And Mommy too and Daddy too and Aureilia too; and not the cats and not Dallas (the dog)."

And I say "Maybe one day we will!"

And she says (excitedly), "And Mommy and Daddy and not the cats and not Dallas!"

So, y'know, we've got it all planned out.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:35 pm

This is real poetry!
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:22 pm

Well, they kick us out of the dorm for Spring Break, so I'll be heading home this afternoon. Not really looking forward to the 3 hour drive.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:28 pm

It's spring break already? :shock: It's still February (for today at least). Spring break at the University of Wisconsin starts March 16. I guess time moves faster in North Dakota, eh? I'm looking around...where is the Spring? I don't see any Spring yet. Still buried in snow here. :(

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:13 pm

I have a big deadline at work and just realized I have to fill out my son's FAFSA (online federal student aid form) by midnight tonight. :(

I dyed my hair red. Kind of Halloween red. Oh well . . . it will fade. :lol:
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:44 pm

justTripn wrote:I dyed my hair red. Kind of Halloween red. Oh well . . . it will fade. :lol:

Oh Pictures!

Pictures!
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:06 am

15 days ago:

CX wrote:The guy who's in charge of this protest movement should look into lawyering up over the $25 million if nothing else. By hiring the crews to go out and tear the stuff up, they've already spent money that hasn't been approved yet by the taxpayers who are funding it. Play the money angle if nothing else.

BlacknBlue wrote:Failing that, have you called Greenpeace?

I wrote:Okay, I sent them the info. Go Greenpeace!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, here's an AMAZING update, and it's partly thanks to you guys letting me vent and encouraging my shite disturbing ways. :lol:

Yesterday, I was feeling blue, as this was the latest news:

The city plans to sue a group of protesters to recover the costs of their interference in construction of the new Highway Interchange, the mayor says.

"It's trying to get money out of people who can't rub two nickels together, but we have to go after some of them," the mayor said yesterday.

City council is still negotiating with the province over who will bear the cost of a massive RCMP operation about two weeks ago in which an estimated 50 to 60 officers surrounded, and then cleared away, a tree-sit protest in the woods between the road and the highway in order to make way for the interchange.

That operation alone -- in which three protesters were charged -- could cost the municipality more than $100,000, the mayor said.

Well maybe, Mr. Mayor, you should have followed the normal process then, instead of Goliath-ing your way in, all swashbuckly-like. He's close personal friends with the massive billionaires who are pushing this whole thing for their precious stupid nearby resort and golf course. They have had private meetings at his house. This is documented.

Greenpeace had never written back and I was feeling so blue.

BUT THEN THIS MORNING.......

GREENPEACE SHOWED UP!

:guffaw: :shock: :guffaw: :shock: :guffaw: :shock: :guffaw: :shock:

HA!

It's all over the local radio. They're raising complete and total hell. Parking cars everywhere, interrupting the machines, etcetera.

:evilmonkey: :evilmonkey: :evilmonkey: :evilmonkey: :evilmonkey:

:happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump:

So, thanks BnB. Great idea. I never would have emailed them if you hadn't suggested it.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:15 am

:o Wow :o
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:27 am

*sigh* I'm afraid.

Last night in ballet class, I was up on pointe (my toes) when I felt a twingey/pop behind my left achilles tendon. After checking that it ached a bit to be on pointe, I switched to ballet slippers, then, cursing, to heeled jazz shoes as my heel and tendon started feeling achey.

Today, my heel has ached, my leg is sluggish, my foot has felt numbish on and off, and my tendon has felt... wierd. I tried to use the elliptical tonight and had to stop and switch to the exercise bike because my leg felt wierd. After sitting for a bit tonight, it twinged right at my tendon when I walked.

For those of you who know me, my left leg is where I had an achilles tendon rupture and reconstruction two and a half years ago, and have worked really hard to get back to almost 100%. So the first thing I did was check my heel lift and squeezed my calf to doubly make sure that the tendon is still there and working. But I'm still scared that somehow, I might have a partial tear again. Terrified, actually.

Very little scares me. I've dealt with a lot of injuries, but this... I'm scared. It might be nothing. It might be bursitis or just tendonitis or something else. But the big injury from hell is hanging over my head and makes me ill...

Not to mention peeved because I have a big skating comp next weekend and have been working insanely hard for that and for my dance recital pieces. I'm going to see how I feel on the ice tommorrow... first sign of an ache or twinge, I'm off the ice and calling my surgeon for an appointmentm though.

Sigh, sorry. Long rant!
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sat Mar 01, 2008 4:02 am

enterprikayak wrote:15 days ago:

CX wrote:The guy who's in charge of this protest movement should look into lawyering up over the $25 million if nothing else. By hiring the crews to go out and tear the stuff up, they've already spent money that hasn't been approved yet by the taxpayers who are funding it. Play the money angle if nothing else.

BlacknBlue wrote:Failing that, have you called Greenpeace?

I wrote:Okay, I sent them the info. Go Greenpeace!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, here's an AMAZING update, and it's partly thanks to you guys letting me vent and encouraging my shite disturbing ways. :lol:

Yesterday, I was feeling blue, as this was the latest news:

The city plans to sue a group of protesters to recover the costs of their interference in construction of the new Highway Interchange, the mayor says.

"It's trying to get money out of people who can't rub two nickels together, but we have to go after some of them," the mayor said yesterday.

City council is still negotiating with the province over who will bear the cost of a massive RCMP operation about two weeks ago in which an estimated 50 to 60 officers surrounded, and then cleared away, a tree-sit protest in the woods between the road and the highway in order to make way for the interchange.

That operation alone -- in which three protesters were charged -- could cost the municipality more than $100,000, the mayor said.

Well maybe, Mr. Mayor, you should have followed the normal process then, instead of Goliath-ing your way in, all swashbuckly-like. He's close personal friends with the massive billionaires who are pushing this whole thing for their precious stupid nearby resort and golf course. They have had private meetings at his house. This is documented.

Greenpeace had never written back and I was feeling so blue.

BUT THEN THIS MORNING.......

GREENPEACE SHOWED UP!

:guffaw: :shock: :guffaw: :shock: :guffaw: :shock: :guffaw: :shock:

HA!

It's all over the local radio. They're raising complete and total hell. Parking cars everywhere, interrupting the machines, etcetera.

:evilmonkey: :evilmonkey: :evilmonkey: :evilmonkey: :evilmonkey:

:happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump: :happyjump:

So, thanks BnB. Great idea. I never would have emailed them if you hadn't suggested it.

I sincerely hope that you or Greenpeace follow up on CX's idea of bringing in a shark or two also. This is just prime meat for a feeding frenzy. Your mayor has a personal relationship with the developer? Meetings at a private residence? Failure to conduct public hearings? Bypassing proper procedure and failure to comply with existing bylaws?

In the US, that mayor would be on the national news tonight. And so would his mistress. And his wife. And her lover. And their children. And their children's drug dealers. And their children's classmates. And their children's classmate's dog...
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:42 pm

justTripn wrote:I dyed my hair red. Kind of Halloween red.

I just looked at the box (should have done that first). The name of this color is "Cardnal" :lol:

But! No more grey hairs! That's the important thing.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “General Chat”