What are you...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Re: What are you...

Postby CX » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:52 am

I'm trying on my brand new cheap knock-off combat boots. So far they don't seem to be any lower in quality than official issue which cost more than twice as much as these did. I'm only hoping they hold out as long as the real ones I got 8 years ago (and are currently falling apart).

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:12 am

Where'd you get em? QuanticoBoot.com had a set of "blemished" Bates Lights USMC boots for $89 from $159. I grabbed a pair of those. A few weeks later, some other site claimed to have a batch of the same "blemished" bates lights but were selling them for like $50. I always wondered if they were legit or not.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:36 am

I got them from here.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Linda » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:32 pm

Hey, CX, those boots look like the ones they wore in TOS. About your new ones being cheap, well maybe you will get four years out of them instead of eight? :lol:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:30 pm

CX when you mean they lasted 8 years did you change the soles in that period of time and how much did you actually wear them? I wear custom made combat boots that I order strait from the factory(my left foot is considerably smaller so I can't buy my footwear from stores unless I want to buy 2 pairs with different sizes or suffer footwear that's to big for my left foot) and I wear them all year around and the soles last maximum of around 2 years before I have to change them. The oldest pair lasted me about 4 years(I changed the soles once). The soles of my boots are made in layers so I have to change the outer most layer that touches the ground when it's has to much wear if I want them to last.
You live for The One, you die for The One.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:26 pm

No, I didn't change soles, combat boot soles are very thick, and though they've worn down, the soles aren't what went out on them. The stitching finally went out on one of them between the front of it and the tongue, and they also have some holes in them just from various work I've done, and since I haven't been taking real good care of them - they are work boots after all - the leather has cracked very, very badly on the upperpart of the toes where it bends. And since I'm a big boot fan, I've basically worn them every day since I got them, except when it wasn't appropriate to do so. I can only speculate that the rubber they use for your soles isn't very hard or wear resistant. Combat boot soles are pretty hard because they're made to make noise when you march in them. No grip to speak of though.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:09 am

Elessar wrote:yeah, wutup w/ that? :(

I'm... holding my rifle :D

Hey, too much information!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:10 am

:D Gonna send us a pic? :D
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:50 pm

Yeah, a pic!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Emberchyld
Commander
Commander

Postby Emberchyld » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:47 am

justTripn wrote:I missed the part where you hurt your foot. Did you hurt it skating?

Nope, I actually hurt it right before the big competition that I had been gearing up for since, well, October-- Adult Eastern Sectionals :( .

It was my achilles again... *sigh* The same one that I ruptured and had repaired 2.5 years ago decided that February 2008 would be a nice time to go on vacation again. According to my doc, it's tendonosis with a possible tiny re-tear in the tendon and I've been confined to a walking boot (thank goodness no more surgery or hard casting!) for the past 4ish weeks. I find out Monday if I'm free again to start normal activities.

Further proof that I'm insane-- my coach and I are already talking about a June competition and my ballet teacher and I have figured out how to hide the fact that I may not be able to go on pointe on my left foot during the recital.
"In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different."
--Coco Chanel

Emberchyld's Livejournal: 45% dance, 45% skating, 5% Trying to convince others to watch Enterprise 5% everything else. You've been warned

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:38 am

Oh my. Best wishes for the news on Monday.

You know, I think I saw a ballet once where the ballerina had only one pointe shoe on...

Banner by JadziaKathryn

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:21 am

Watching: On The Beach. Possibly a bad choice, but after a while you can't look away.

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:14 pm

I just finished watching the movie Enchanted it's a fun movie I really enjoyed it.

vero3110
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby vero3110 » Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:59 pm

Reanok wrote:I just finished watching the movie Enchanted it's a fun movie I really enjoyed it.

A couple of weeks ago, my sister in law and I went with my younger nephews (they are 6 and 7) to watch this movie. Their older brother (who is 13) didn't go because he stated it was a girls movies. So when we got back from the cinema, the youngest corrected his older brother telling him that it was not a girls movie: there was a big, black dragon on it and a prince with a sword :) .

I liked too. Girly or not.

Vero

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:08 pm

I could tell you about a couple of 12-year-old boys whose first horrified comment about that movie was, "It was a GIRLS movie!"
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “General Chat”