Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Debate of the week: brain meds

Postby TPoptarts » Wed May 23, 2007 4:08 am

Can't read the article because that damn ad gives me an error and closes the explorer window. Confused

As for MRIs I've never had an MRI but I assume if I needed it I'd have a really hard time as well Confused can't stand loud stuff. Especially with my senses being kinda hyper Confused eapecially like hearing and smell. I gotta cover my poor little ears when like a motorcycle or truck or stuff drives by. And once I even had to walk around with earplugs in a crowded mall because it was just too loud. Confused And even then I was still able to hear my cellphone which was set on the lowest volume Confused and lead my friends to a shop that played a song we liked which they couldn't even hear at first from the distance we were at. How weird is that Confused Confused Confused Confused so if I ever had to go into the MRI in that tiny little closed space with echoes bouncing off of it I'd probably cry and scream in PHYSICAL pain. Confused Yikes Confused Confused
ImageImage

HopefulNebula
Ensign
Ensign

Postby HopefulNebula » Wed May 23, 2007 4:38 am

Short version of the article: bunch of "doctors" (quotes because they don't deserve to be called that) pushed anti-psychotics on an autistic teenager despite protests from both the kid and his mother. They convinced the mother that the kid was suffering, when he wasn't. Said anti-psychotics *cause* psychosis and catatonia in him, nearly killing him several times over, and the treatments they try are, you guessed it, more antipsychotics on top of the ones that caused this.. Turns out the doctors were being paid by the med companies to prescribe the stuff. Kid's finally off the drugs and is recovering nicely, but he's not where he was before going on the meds to begin with.

And re: MRIs... for most people they're not that bad. But I have enough nervous system problems that "oh, don't worry, you'll have headphones on and won't hear a thing else" just doesn't cut it.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed May 23, 2007 4:53 am

Well that's pretty damn obvious Confused it's always those frelling greedy pharmaceutical companies. They're evil. And the FDA is on their side because it's making money off of them. Well duh their prime directive is to make people take more drugs not to actually cure them, because healthy people don't need to take drugs. That's why it's like the most profitable industry in the world. Because they're evil and greedy and what they do isn't for any like "greater good" or whatever, it's for their own big fat billionaire bank accounts. Corporations suck. Evil or Very Mad

As for MRIs well headphones or not I probably would scream in pain. Confused With the noise and the echoes and the vibes from the soundwaves Confused Confused Confused *shudder shudder*
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Wed May 23, 2007 5:30 am

The Big Donut: MRI's aren't so bad. I suppose if they were imaging your skull it would seem super loud, maybe. I find the most difficult part to be holding absolutely still.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

HopefulNebula
Ensign
Ensign

Postby HopefulNebula » Wed May 23, 2007 5:36 am

Yeah, and when your senses just don't talk properly to one another (it's like they all have their own languages and can understand most but not all of what the others say), it's an entirely different story. For me it wasn't so much staying absolutely still as it was not banging against every wall I could reach in an instinctive attempt to get out. I had to go in for a second one under full sedation.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed May 23, 2007 5:42 am

Yikes. Confused Well with my senses being all hyper and stuff even stuff that isn't supposed to be like too loud tends to be too loud... Confused Confused so I still don't wanna have to get an MRI ever Confused like seriously I've never actually experienced an MRI, but it kinda looks like they're putting a person inside a metal tube that some crazy kids bang on with metal pipes and the echoes keep bouncing inside like forever Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused
ImageImage

HopefulNebula
Ensign
Ensign

Postby HopefulNebula » Wed May 23, 2007 5:50 am

Yah, that's about the sound of it. Maybe for normmal senses it's different. No way to compare without having normal senses...

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Wed May 23, 2007 5:54 am

Ouch. Hypersenses Laughing yep. Never wanna get near an MRI Confused thanks for the warning.
ImageImage

Return to “General Chat”