Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: What does NCC-1701 stand for ?

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:00 am

Jedikatie wrote:^
Well, the USS Constellation was Matt Decker's ship in The Doomsday Machine. Never noticed before looking it up to double check and make sure that I had the correct episode that the Constellation's registry number is simply an anagram of Enterprise's... Laughing (It's the NCC-1017).

IIRC, that's because they used one of those Enterprise plastic models for the USS Constellation in the episode, and those only had the stickers for number 1,0 and 7.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:54 am

Ok ,so why Enterprise E is still NCC ?
Wasn't it supossed to be Sovereign Class ? NCS ? Smile

Jedikatie
Commander
Commander

Postby Jedikatie » Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:08 pm

^
The "class" of ship has nothing to do with the registry number (which is what the "NCC-1701" is).

The class of ship is named for the first ship of that type--therefore, Kirk's Enterprise (NCC-1701) is a "Constitution-class" starship, because the USS Constitution was the first ship built.

Likewise, Picard's Enterprise (NCC-1701-D) is a "Galaxy-class" starship, because the USS Galaxy was the first ship of that type built.

Sulu's ship, the USS Excelsior, was the first of its class, so those ships are all referred to as "Excelsior-class".

The "NCC" in the registry number does not change just because the type of "class" changes. Even USS Reliant, seen in The Wrath of Khan has a registry number that begins with "NCC", though it's from an entirely different class from Kirk's Enterprise.
Was this the army that invaded your country, ma'am? No, officer, they were taller than that...

How about this one? I'm not sure--get them to march up and down a bit...

(From Terry Pratchett's Jingo)

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:27 pm

About a month ago, I got this book, Ships of the Line:

http://www.amazon.com/Ships-Line-Star-M ... 1416532439

It's full of calander pictures (paintings, very detailed) of various star Trek ships (a set from each series) in various story contexts. Beautiful. You can just get lost in them. Each picture has a little excerpt from story beside it. The excerpts seem to be from the books, not from the episodes.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:12 am

CX wrote:NCC is just a prefix that stands for active duty Starfleet. NX is an experimental Starfleet vessel.

And there is a Constellation class, which was evidently commissioned sometime in the TOS movie era. Basically it's a four-nacelled Conny kitbash. Just look it up online. Wink

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:29 am

The second C doesn't stand for Constellation or Constitution, because EVERY SINGLE ship in Starfleet except the experimentals has the NCC in the registry. I don't think it has ANY designated meaning. I mean I think star trek people after the fact have said "well it could mean coalition" but it's just a toss in.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:23 am

NCC = Not Completely Certain

Not Currently Certified

Not Certified Complete

Needs Certifiable Characters

Notice Circular Configuration

New Commissary Completed

Newly Commissioned Contraption

HtH

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:53 pm

Just to confuse the situation even more, here are a couple of tidbits from the RL aviation world of today.

"N" is used for U.S. registered aircraft. In the aircraft equivilant of the ground vehicle VIN (vehicle identification number) or boat HIN (hull identification number). When an aircraft is overdue (mostly the small private craft) which have not reported in when they should, Civil air Patrol will search the registration numbers on the tails of aircraft parked at airports, like we do in the C.G. Aux, for boat names and numbers of overdue boats in marinas. Other countries use a one or two letter designation for their aircraft registration numbers.

"X" is used for an experimental aircraft.

"NC" has been used for a commercial or civil aircraft in the U.S. But might not be currently in use.

This is just off the cuff info from my husband who is on the board of directors for a small aviation museum. I think asking these question of him might send him digging into the subject when he gets home from work today, like looking through his records and calling pilot friends, ha, ha. Anything to keep him busy!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

ableone
Ensign
Ensign

Postby ableone » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:42 am

One of the original principals in the startrek franchise had an airplane. It's registration number was NC1701.

The second C was added because it looked better.

Mystery solved.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:48 pm

Looked better? (Sigh) why am I not surprised. With the entertainment industry, that WOULD be the bottom line rather than coming in line with some practice in the aero/space world, wouldn't it?
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Return to “General Chat”