I've defeated Windows 7...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Elessar
Site Owner

Re: I've defeated Windows 7...

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:07 am

Dusalis Drake wrote:I must say that you are quite brave to be using Windows 7, and I wish you the best of luck when the next bug comes up. It'll be at least 12 months from the non-beta release date before I try it. And I still have XP so that won't be a fun change. Formatting is a pain.

Oh dude, try it on a RAID array :lol: . Well, I take that back, that's one of the glorious new features of Win7 for those of us who use RAID or, I guess if anyone still is, SCSI. You used to have to use a floppy drive and disk to load your 3rd party RAID drivers during windows install and it didn't always work and usually there was a regular IDE bus driver AND a raid driver and WHICH ONE do I install first< AHHH!!! *hair on fire generally*

This is of course completely precluding the existence of Vista since, with how much negativity I heard about it initially, I just pretended it didn't exist and told myself to wait for the next OS, which I soon came to be called Vista. I think they got tired of all the code names that Vista ran through like Longhorn :lol:. "Windows 7, good, simple." I bet there's some subliminal messaging in the simplicity of it that suggests it's simple and easy to use. For the most part it is.

I haven't had any bugs yet either... Dark was saying something about, and I could be misquoting, if you are running Win7 x64 (which I am), and if you have a 32bit program stop responding and you try to kill it from task manager in Win7 it tends to lock up the system completely. I haven't had that happen, but doing a lot of developer things and using a lot of experimental programs, Dark runs into a lot more non-responsive programs than the average person.

I decided, basically, I was going to stay on XP until the last possible moment. I really updated to Windows 7 as a matter of necessity. Technologically, Windows XP just isn't built to use the new generation of hardware. It's 32bit which means it's limited in a lot of ways, namely to addressing about 3 GB of memory (recognizing 4, addressing and using 3), which is a limit that, for high end and gaming users, is completely insufficient. I went with 4 just to be a bit frugal b/c another G. Skill 4 GB kit is $80, but if it dropped to 60 or 50 I would probably grab it and jump to 8 GB.

My only concern with the direction the Microsoft operating system is going is that it's going further and further into a realm where the non-server operating systems are tailored for the computer-illiterate user who you don't want messing with and tweaking configuration settings and critical system files - which means a power user like myself and hardcore gamers, hobbycoders, modders, etc... can't access some of even the most basic configuration ends of Windows anymore. The death of the command prompt in Windows XP Professional was a TRAVESTY, and now my Run is gone! :doubt:

I think they should add like a developer's module or even just a windows configuration module that doesn't come on a disc image but has to be added from the "Add Windows Components" menu of the Control Panel so that people like me can still access that stuff.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:15 am

I don't call it geek-speak, I call it Techie Geek-Speak. Huge difference. I can understand basic geek-speak, but programmers they speak in a language more complex that high-school algebra which I barely passed. The only people who really understand this stuff are techies. I tell my brother all of the time... English bro English. Saterday is his daughter's wake. :cry: Anyway congrads Elessar may your computer serve you well.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

dark_rain
Site Admin
Show On Map: No

Postby dark_rain » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:29 pm

For run, use the Win+R shortcut or type the name into the search box on the start menu and press ctrl+enter

EDIT: Oh an I've just remembered that if you buy/have bought a Dell with Windows Vista from June 26th, you may be eligable for a free Win7 upgrade

https://win7.dell.com/Eligibility.aspx
voo@octane2:~> uname -a
IRIX64 octane2 6.5 07080050 IP30

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:34 pm

Gotta love a Dell. ;-)
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:38 pm

Oh and there is such a beast as XP x64. I'm sniffing at it, but I'm not encouraged by the speed that DX10/11 are moving at. I will need those at some point, and MS don't seem to want to let XP have them.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:55 pm

dark_rain wrote:Oh and there is such a beast as XP x64. I'm sniffing at it, but I'm not encouraged by the speed that DX10/11 are moving at. I will need those at some point, and MS don't seem to want to let XP have them.

I forgot to mention that. Yes there is, but any time I've ever talked to anyone who's used it or is pretty knowledgable, they say it's absolute garbage.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Dusalis Drake
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dusalis Drake » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:05 am

WarpGirl wrote:Gotta love a Dell. ;-)

Dell :thumbsdown:

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:26 am

Depends /which/ Dell you have. The business series and their support tend to be very good. I wouldn't be so sure about the home series and its support.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:40 pm

dark_rain wrote:Depends /which/ Dell you have. The business series and their support tend to be very good. I wouldn't be so sure about the home series and its support.

XPS machines are pretty beastly, but so is their price tag.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:02 am

Dusalis Drake wrote: Dell :thumbsdown:

I quite have to agree. It's bad enough that all of their support has been outsourced.

Insult to injury: for an EXTRA $12.99 per month, you can speak to someone in support on American soil.

Sorry, I will NEVER buy a Dell.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:17 am

Meh to each his own. I've never had a problem with the actual machine. However programs, and routers yeah I've had problems. But since I've started using windows 7 no program problems at all. I am a happy lady.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:13 am

Dusalis Drake wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:Gotta love a Dell. ;-)

Dell :thumbsdown:

Actually, in my own language "del" means "slut". Source of many silly yokes on the work floor. 8)
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:49 am

Aquarius wrote:

I quite have to agree. It's bad enough that all of their support has been outsourced.

Insult to injury: for an EXTRA $12.99 per month, you can speak to someone in support on American soil.

It can't be that ALL their support's been outsourced - I know a guy that works in either Tulsa or OKC that works for Dell Customer Tech Support.
"I call shotgun!"

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

dark_rain
Site Admin

Postby dark_rain » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:01 am

Maybe it's something to do with USA support, as I've got corp support in the UK (as standard) which is UK based. I spoke to them yesterday about something.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:48 am

Elessar wrote:
Aquarius wrote:

It can't be that ALL their support's been outsourced - I know a guy that works in either Tulsa or OKC that works for Dell Customer Tech Support.

He's probably one of the guys you have to pay extra to talk to.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “General Chat”