Calling All Cooks

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Calling All Cooks

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 10, 2011 1:02 am

Help!!!! God only knows what my mother was thinking but she showed up at my house today with 2 dozen eggs forgetting the fact that I just bought a dozen eggs at the market. Now I have 3 dozen eggs and although anyone who reads this thread knows I have a weakness for egg salad, there is such a thing as too much egg salad! I need more egg recepies.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Tue May 10, 2011 1:33 am

You could always make quiche. It works for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 10, 2011 1:36 am

And daddy loves quiche which means he might come over for dinner! THANKS!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Grrr
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Grrr » Tue May 10, 2011 2:44 am

Custard pie! This recipe looks pretty good.

http://www.heritagerecipes.com/pies/egg_custard_pie.htm

Grrr

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 10, 2011 2:47 am

I admit I'm no baker but that looks like something even I could not screw up. Thank you.

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 26, 2011 3:28 am

WOW! Who knew you could get so rich just by cooking? http://powerwall.msnbc.msn.com/#!wallSt ... Id%3D41002

I wish I was that good!

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun May 29, 2011 8:16 pm

Here's something I accidently stumbled into. Tea blending. The heat has come to my tiny corner of the world and south of the mason-dixon line that means it's time to make sweet tea. Well, I was running low on my herb tea for joint comfort, and the last thing you want in sweet tea is weak sweet tea. So since I had a ton of green tea I brewed the two together. The results were fantastic! Green tea is so mild that it didn't compete with my more "floral" and spicey tea at all. Add some simple syrup and it's very refreshing. I think even my brother wouldn't object. He tends to view my tea as "northern" because I actually like the taste of tea and not just sweet.

Fics

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:59 pm

So I taught my great aunt how to make southern fried chicken while I'm on vacation. I must know what I'm doing because she did great. You'd never know she's a 71 year old Italian from brooklyn.

Fics

Cogito
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Cogito » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:37 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I must know what I'm doing because she did great.

Well that's fine, take all the credit, eh? :tsktsk:

:lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:25 pm

Considering she didn't even know to marinate the chicken in butter milk and hot sauce before dredging I say I deserve it.

Fics

Snorpenbass
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Snorpenbass » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:45 pm

About eggs, meringue cake is one of my faves since I was a wee bairn. My mom's professionally trained (her dad, my maternal grandpa, was kind of a Gordon Ramsey of his time, as in he was the guy who got sent for to make restaurants, inns and hotel kitchens shape up), so I've benefited from her skills since I was a kid.

Basically, you make a meringue bottom, a whole plate of it on oven-paper, split the thing in half, then flip one side upside down soft side up, put on sweet berries of all kinds and sweet fruits (preserves work great) and cream, and then you take the other half and flip it with the "softer" side down on top. So damn good it should be illegal.

Or I could suggest Swedish strawberry cake. You can very probably find a ton of recipes on-line for it, though I can't guarantee the measurements will be helpful. There's a web-site that can make your day, though. http://www.onlineconversion.com has instant converting of measurements for your benefit, from barbarian US Imperial system to civilized metric, and back, f'rex. :D
Anyway, it's basically soft sponge cake bottoms, strawberry filling, whipped cream and strawberry garnish. Simple, and so good it should, again, be illegal.

...and it's very fattening.

Anyhoo...

You like the spicy?

My lemon chicken, based on some Indian recipes I like:
Serves 3-4 people (unless your family eats like stereotypical Americans, in which case it serves 2 ;) )
Two chicken breasts, diced.
2-3 large garlic cloves, finely chopped.
The juice and grated peel of one large lemon.
Usually I use green onions, but you don't have to. It's just very common in Indian food.
About 1.2 - 2 cups of yoghurt. Now, when I say yoghurt I mean either proper Indian yoghurt or the Turkish or Greek kind, either works perfectly.
About a cup and a half of water.
1-2 red bell peppers (2 if small, 1 if big), diced (diced roughly, big pieces of about a man's thumb joint or bigger).
Olive oil (extra virgin if ya got it), regular cooking oil, proper butter (not margarine or anything like that).
Chicken stock, if you have any you can use.

Serve with white rice, preferably Basmati.

Spices
This part is the real important one (aside from the lemon).
About ½ teaspoon powdered coriander, 1 tablespoon powdered ginger (or about a thumb-joint's worth of fresh ginger, grated), a tablespoon sugar, same that in salt. 2 tablespoons curry blend of your choice, preferably one high in turmeric (and low in onion powder ;) ). 1 teaspoon cumin, ½ a teaspoon powdered caraway. Cayenne. LOTS of cayenne. If you think you have enough, add another dash. This dish should make you *sweat*.

Prepare *everything* in advance. This is important, because the actual cooking is *fast*.

Set the plate on fairly high. Don't put the pot on yet.

Put some olive oil (extra virgin is great) and normal cooking oil in a large pot. It should barely cover half the floor of the pot (not sure what term you use, we say "the bottom" here). Wait until the plate is hot enough before putting it on. When it starts to to make little swirly patterns, right before it starts to smoke, it's time to cook up.

Add the butter, then garlic. Don't let the garlic brown, this isn't a garlic dish. ;)
Add the spices, but if you use fresh ginger let that one wait for later.
Stir it about, make it froth, add the chicken. Make sure the chicken is cooked through.

Add the water and lemon juice and peels, and the fresh ginger if you used that. Add stock, and you can add mushrooms (champignons is what I use, they soak up flavor best) if you like.

Turn down the heat and let it simmer for a while. 10-15 minutes should do it.

Now, finally: add the bell peppers, fairly large chunks (about a man's thumb joint in size or a bit bigger) and the yoghurt. *Don't let it cook or simmer!* The peppers should be crunchy, not cooked. Just turn the heat off and stir until it's properly heated through.

Serve with rice. Oh, and something for the cayenne burn. :D
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2315451/

"Why, it would take some kind of enormous egomaniac to dare quote themselves in their own sig!"
--Snorpenbass

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:30 am

Sounds painful. :-p
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:58 am

Thank you for the WONDERFUL recipies Snorpenbass and for remembering the onion allergy I am cursed with. :oops: :D Welcome again. If I haven't said it before.

Fics

Snorpenbass
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Snorpenbass » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:10 pm

Distracted wrote:Sounds painful. :-p

I know you're kidding, but cayenne isn't that kind of hot. Chili is, cayenne actually helps *settle* your stomach (much like powdered ginger...fresh ginger is the opposite to powdered in that aspect). Trust me, a dish high in cayenne will not have you suffering in the bathroom for hours like chili does. :D

What cayenne burn means is: :explode:
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2315451/

"Why, it would take some kind of enormous egomaniac to dare quote themselves in their own sig!"
--Snorpenbass

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:05 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Thank you for the WONDERFUL recipies Snorpenbass and for remembering the onion allergy I am cursed with. :oops: :D Welcome again. If I haven't said it before.

Onion allergy ?? :shock: I'd be gutted. Nothing starts a day better than 8 scrambled eggs, a handful of bacon and lotsa hacked onions. Throw in a few fried Nuremburg saussages and I'm a happy camper :D Not to forget the bucket of asphalt... erm... coffee, of course :raspberry:

Return to “General Chat”