Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: The filk hotline

Postby TPoptarts » Thu May 24, 2007 9:23 pm

Well actually the "picture & 1,000 words" challenge is supposed to be like a fic that has exactly 1,000 words and a picture to go with it, just the thing is that the picture can't be like a screencap or something it's supposed to be something the writer makes themselves because it's part of the challenge. It doesn't actually have anything to do with filks Laughing
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu May 24, 2007 9:42 pm

You drew the picture? Very nice. What is the medium?
So, the author provides both picture and 1000 words. Hmm... Got it.
If I made a.collage and scanned it, would that work? Was there a thread?

I always liked Family Take 2, BTW. Smile
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu May 24, 2007 9:55 pm

Thanks Very Happy yeah I drew the picture in photoshop because I don't have a scanner, so I guess the "medium" would be "mouse" Confused Laughing I've got some more fanart here

Of course a scanned collage works, whatever you make yourself works Very Happy as for a thread there wasn't like an actual thread for it but I posted it in the fic challenges thread once but it was lost after the server move.
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu May 24, 2007 11:01 pm

Great stuff.
Sigh...I used to love making dolls.

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Thu May 24, 2007 11:03 pm

Thanks Very Happy why don't you like making dolls anymore?
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu May 24, 2007 11:29 pm

Oh, I still do, or I'm sure I would, if I had time. Confused I especially like making those teeny weeny clothes. I made some soft dolls, but mostly I made them from salt flour dough and Fimo. I still have all the stuff. Raw silk and lamb's wool for hair, miniscule snaps and buttons, ect.
I guess I just switched to collage and beading.

Banner by JadziaKathryn

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri May 25, 2007 1:23 am

Did you ever make any TnT dolls? Smile
ImageImage

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri May 25, 2007 1:26 am

I've always wondered - how do you make dolls?
Writing as TrekPyro.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Fri May 25, 2007 1:59 am

I guess it depends what kinda dolls... my voodoo dolls are like fabric and stuffing and little beads for the eyes, well here's pretty much how I cut the fabric but don't take it the way it is, if you actually wanna make a doll based on this you'd have to like draw a nicer more symetrical and proportionate version of it, it's just an example because I don't actually use patterns myself Confused and of course you can make them any size you like even like really big dolls, my voodoo dolls though range between like 3.5"-4.5" (well and like 1.5" for T'Baby)
Well and sometimes you have to divide the body into sections if the character's outfit has like sections of different colors and stuff. And the nose is just a small piece of fabric rolled into a ball (well or if the doll is bigger you actually have to like stuff it so it'll stay firm). And the hair varies so I just like totally improvise that. And if it's supposed to be like short hair I use fluffy fabrics like velvet and stuff, but if it's long hair I usually use wool. But I don't have any wool now. Well anyway that's how I make my voodoo dolls. Smile
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Fri May 25, 2007 4:02 pm

Not that creative. Riiiiiight. Laughing

Banner by JadziaKathryn

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri May 25, 2007 10:48 pm

LOL, I was talking about the dolls on your avatar - although, a little Shran doll might be fun to make...
Writing as TrekPyro.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sat May 26, 2007 3:18 am

Heh I'd make a little Shran voodoo doll if I had the materials Smile as for how to make dollz well that's a little too complicated to explain in a post but there's some tutorials here if you want well depends on which graphic program you use, there's like plenty for Paintshop Pro 7 and 8 but nothing much for other programs, well except for making bases but you don't actually have to make the base yourself you can use bases from other doll sites (there's bases on that site made by the owner you could use though I personally don't like them too much but you can like also try to look for bases in the sites on the links page, and on their link pages etc. Dolling community is really big and there's like tons of websites). And there's links to recommended doll tutorials on other sites too. But basically it's just like pixel work, and I'm too lazy to read tutorials (and then try to figure out what they mean in Photoshop language Confused ) so I just work the hard way of trial and error. Confused
ImageImage

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:21 am

Hey you know what else I thought about in filks. Like Distracted mentioned the rhyme scheme that gives you like a frame etc. But sometimes like reinventing and messing with the original rhyme scheme is also fun like in Distracted's "do your ears have flair" filk. And even like dragging the rhyme or contracting it, adding internal rhyming and whatnot. Sorta taking the rhyme scheme more toward rap actually. It kinda shifts like the "stress" of the line or whatever the hell it is but without actually changing the structure. Well I like totally suck at explaining myself so I'm just gonna post an example. Yet again for "Breathe" well not that there's anything wrong with the original rhyme scheme, it's great and works very well, duh. Anyway here's a color-coded comparison between the original rhyme scheme and a totally messed-up version of it (I don't know the original lyrics so I'm using a verse from my weather filk), I kept the original length of the lines in the messed up version:

Original rhyme scheme (the internal rhyming here was like totally unintentional and isn't part of the original rhyme scheme, my thoughts just started to rhyme and it came out that way):

Mid-late April in SoCal, it's pouring outside
Covered up to my head I am trying to hide
There's no use, gotta drag myself out of bed somehow
And this thing that I read on Triaxian Silk
Stuck the song in my head, so I'm writing this filk
'Cause my thoughts start to rhyme and I can't help myself now

Totally messed up rhyme scheme:

Sometimes structures just really invite you to play
With the rhyme, I'd explain it if only I knew
How to say what I'm trying to say any better
So I post an example in hope it would show
What I try to explain, it's a pain 'cause my brain
Is so slow, but with filks I can go on forever

Heh how insanely typical. Confused The only time I put thought into filks is when I don't actually write one. Confused Confused Kinda pathetic too actually because what does it say about my artistic "skill" and "dedication". Confused Rolling Eyes Sad
ImageImage

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:16 am

The first stanza works well. Cool
Image sig by chrisis1033

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:27 am

Duh. But I don't know that song's still stuck in my head, and I keep filking it like all the time and what I've noticed is that (since it's a waltz) a lot of times I tend to drag the rhyme to the next "1" instead of the original end of the line, I don't know to me it feels like it kinda heightens the emphasis on it for some reason Confused Smile
ImageImage

Return to “General Chat”