Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Trip/T'Pol and Edward/Bella Similarities

Postby Alelou » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:15 am

Asso wrote:I followed this thread, lurking.
I don't know. Maybe I'm a little too old, but for me vampires are the EVIL.

I haven't quite seen the appeal, myself. I watch True Blood with (horrified, prurient) interest, but I just don't see what's so sexy about Vampire Bill or any of the vampires. Especially seeing as how that show makes no bones about how they're essentially cold and dead.

Yuck.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:25 am

Well, I will explain. Edward is the gorgeous bad boy from high school: dangerously irresistible. And Bella has to be really careful and not be too, too inticing. If he gets too . . . uh . . . worked up he might lose control and bite her. And he really doesn't want to do that - - - well of course he does, but he doesn't. Makes for some really hot G-rated romance.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:35 am

And Edward only drinks from animals now, Asso, so he's not evil anymore. Of course, he USED to drink from humans, which makes him irresistable to some women since he's a just barely reformed bad boy. Or something like that. I never understood the attraction, personally. I married a GOOD boy. Much less stressful that way. ;-)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:32 am

No, the movie didn't do much for me either...but then again the actor looks like a baby to "old lady me" so he wouldn't appeal to me anyhow. :roll:

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:10 pm

Distracted wrote:And Edward only drinks from animals now, Asso, so he's not evil anymore. Of course, he USED to drink from humans, which makes him irresistable to some women since he's a just barely reformed bad boy. Or something like that. I never understood the attraction, personally. I married a GOOD boy. Much less stressful that way. ;-)

You forgot "ole", you married a good ole boy :lol: , that way you get the interesting without the bad... or... sometimes... :mrgreen:

Yeah... I think the romantic fascination with Edward must be connected to age.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:21 pm

Hey, I can crush for handsome young men. Harry Potter is definitely a cutie, if you ask me. In my fantasy world I'm not nearly as old as I am in real life.

Likewise, Harrison Ford, who once could make my heart beat fast, is now too old for fantasy world. Although the equation could possibly change if I were in a ROOM with him. Except of course that he's married or ex-married and a movie star which means he's probably a freak or at least really tired of women like me drooling over him, so ... nah, not really.

Crushes are much better in fantasy world.

:)
Image.Image

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:52 pm

Yep. Case in point, me and Connor Trinneer. Although the age difference isn't quite as extreme.

I must confess that although I can buy Bella loving Edward, I personally don't see the attraction. The boy looks constipated half the time when he's trying to emote and the makeup makes him look like he's got end-stage aplastic anemia. And the sparkles just don't do it for me. :lol:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:01 pm

Distracted wrote:Yep. Case in point, me and Connor Trinneer. Although the age difference isn't quite as extreme.

I must confess that although I can buy Bella loving Edward, I personally don't see the attraction. The boy looks constipated half the time when he's trying to emote and the makeup makes him look like he's got end-stage aplastic anemia. And the sparkles just don't do it for me. :lol:

:guffaw: :guffaw:

Thanks, D, I needed that.

I still think Harrison Ford's a damn handsome man. A man's man.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:53 pm

I think it's the buzz cut that kills it for me. Just like Keith Hernandez, the guy needs to let his hair grow. I don't care if it's turned white, just stop practically shaving it off. Hernandez used to have such a lovely head of hair. Now he practically shaves the sides off and therefore looks like Beaker from The Muppets (or was it Sesame Street?). Or that bald eagle puppet.

I don't hate buzz cuts in general, but on those two guys...well, it's just a crime against nature.
Image.Image

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:55 pm

I've tried to read the first book and was forced to watch the movie :upchuck: And frankly, I can't see the similarities.

For starters, Trip has a personality. While Bella... well, let's just say that I've found more interesting rubber plants in my life.

The Edward/Bella "love story" (being kind) is so sick that it makes Trip/T'Pol's relationship perfectly normal, sane and almost boring. Besides, I have to be sold on a pairing in the story. And I'm not sold on Bella and Edward. What on Earth do they have in common? What do they talk about (aside from how amazing, perfect, handsome, "put your adjetive here" Edward is)? The crush will fade, then what? I don't care if he's a vampire, all that mystery thing, the "danger" and other crap. I just don't buy it.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:17 pm

I don't usually crush after young, baby-faced men. Connor is only six months my junior, so he doesn't really count for me. But then again there is the baby-faced Josh Groban...Okay, maybe I'm not so innocent then. :lol:

I don't know...I felt nothing between the Bella/Edward pairing in the movie. And rumors are that they've dated offscreen. Weird.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:40 pm

Yeah, the only reason I can partly get into the first book anyway, is I ignore the movie version of Edward and imagine anything I want.The whole dynamic reminds me of my first love: he was TWO years OLDER! He HAD A CAR! He could grow a beard! But it's all so far in the past, I can only vaguely remember. And I REALLY don't want to remember. Seems that somewhere along the road I lost patience for worrying about "maybe he might sit with me in chemistry!" so it's hard to read this book straight through.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:36 am

Yep. As I've said before, Twilight the book appeals to teenage girls who rarely read anything because the author's target audience is teenage girls who rarely read anything. Ditto the movie, although my 17 year old seldom-reader griped bitterly about the movie because it didn't follow the book.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 am

Twilight looms large in many of my students' reading lives. They either love it or hate it.

But Harry Potter is the one so many of them learned to love reading from. I make them write autobiographies of themselves as readers after we read how Malcolm X taught himself to read in prison. (Hint, hint. College is easier...) Almost all of them who do read mentioned how important that series was to them.

And I give up typing for the night. I sliced a finger open and it has three stitches in it courtesy of Albany Memorial Hospital tonight and I think I'll just cut (de dum dum) my losses and go to bed.

Had my usual bad luck with anesthesia: the numbing shots hurt, but didn't numb the end of my finger. I said I'd just have the three stitches over with. Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I'd rather have whatever got me out the fastest.

Though, Bether, I have to say Albany Memorial has redone their emegency room and it was REALLY NICE. And uncrowded. And easier to get to than Albany Med. And hopefully this will heal faster than the cut I had a couple of years ago when I nearly pruned off half a fingertip but decided to do without stitches until, I discovered, it was too late to get them.
Image.Image

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:22 am

Ut oh! Is this from cooking? I can't have sharp knives or that's what happens. All my knives are dull. When I cook for people coming over they watch me saw all my ingredients with a steak knife, and always comment on it, and I have to explain that this is a deliberate choice.

Return to “General Chat”