So why DID you pick your Screen name?

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: So why DID you pick your Screen name?

Postby Distracted » Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:27 pm

You were born on Halloween? Must make for some interesting birthday parties. Very Happy
Image sig by chrisis1033

vero3110
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby vero3110 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:06 am

Distracted wrote:You were born on Halloween? Must make for some interesting birthday parties. Very Happy

Yeah, but around here it's not celebrated as it is in the US, at least it wasn't when I was a kid.

So I've never had a costume party.

Vero

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:21 am

justTrip'n is a pun obviously, reflecting the fact that at the time I picked it, I was obsessively writing stories about Trip and knowing in the back of my mind that that wasn't quite normal for someone my age. It's an apology, along the lines of "Oh, well."

Seems funny to think that I went by my real name until I wrote (horrors!) a PG-13 story and needed an alter ego.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:31 am

justTrip'n wrote:justTrip'n is a pun obviously, reflecting the fact that at the time I picked it, I was obsessively writing stories about Trip and knowing in the back of my mind that that wasn't quite normal for someone my age. It's an apology, along the lines of "Oh, well."

Seems funny to think that I went by my real name until I wrote (horrors!) a PG-13 story and needed an alter ego.

Laughing you crack me up. Horrors! Very Happy
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Hondafan
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Hondafan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:31 pm

Well I think mine is pretty obvious.
I am a huge car freak. I have been one since I was a kid. My cousin had a 69 Mustang convertible. I think I was 4 the first time I rode in it. I remember that car ride almost in photographic detail. I am a Honda fan. This started in highschool two of my friends had honda's. My friend had a 78 honda Civic HB it was yellow. My other friend had a 79 honda prelude. My mothers best friend had a 86 prelude and my mother had a 86 Accord with the pop up headlights so. It was destined for me to like Hondas. I have owned 4. So everone who knows me knows that my first love is Honda and my second love is Star Trek.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:04 pm

Uh, boring old me just uses her real first name. But on other boards (which I rarely visit) I have used Bineshii (meaning 'bird' in Ojibwe). Its kinda too late to switch here. But if I ever do switch online names, it would be to a name in Ojibwe...or some animal name from the Vulcan language dictionary, or maybe from Scots Gaelic... Heck, with my vacilation I better just stick to boring old Linda. Laughing
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:06 am

If I remember rightly, the name Linda is associated with the linden tree. Lots to work with there Celtic symbology-wise. Smile (I used to be fascinated wth Ogham and the like. Smile )
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:01 pm

That is interesting, Evcake. I never heard that about my name. All I know there was a song about Linda when my parents were choosing names. Apparently other expecting parents heard it too, because there were 9 Lindas in one of my elementary school classes! Its great you are interested in thinks Celtic. I used to take Highland Dance. Tabadh lebh!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

TSara
Captain
Captain

Postby TSara » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:59 pm

Linda wrote:That is interesting, Evcake. I never heard that about my name. All I know there was a song about Linda when my parents were choosing names. Apparently other expecting parents heard it too, because there were 9 Lindas in one of my elementary school classes! Its great you are interested in thinks Celtic. I used to take Highland Dance. Tabadh lebh!

Hey I take HIGHLAND dance too! Older pictures but here ya go! http://triaxiansilk.com/phpBB3/viewtopi ... lit=#p4604
On other forums I usually go by my scottish sounding name....and on the yahoo star trek groups I go by my full name.

So what name are you thinking about in Gaelic? My Granny spoke Scots Gaelic...I remember a bit here and there....not as fluent as I used to be....but maybe I can help?
"It can giggle all it wants, but the galaxy isn't gettin' any of our bourbon." -Trip to Malcolm Shuttlepod One

Archer: You missed T'Pol's latest bout with chopsticks.
Trip: Damn, dinner and a show.- Silent Enemy

http://www.myspace.com/hylndlas

http://tsara80.livejournal.com/

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:45 pm

My screen name is a joke we used in Japan, because it is our last name literally translated in Japanese. I wrote a very simple play in Japanese after my first year, using a character with the name panyasan.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:48 pm

Cool ... I came close to using "Daremo" as my online pseudonym many moons back. Who am I? Daremo. Cool

Of course, panyasan is probably the only one who'd get that joke...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:33 pm

Well, T'Sara, I like animal names because they are clan names in Ojibwe (we are a sort of mix of Celtic and Native American in my family). Wolf (Ma'iingan), rabbit (Wabooz), bird (Bineshii) names seem to pop out the most. What are they in Scots Gaelic? I might be able to look that up at home too. There must be a Gaelic dictionary laying around somewhere. Maybe under the Ojibwe dictionaries, LOL.

My Highland dance days are much in the past. Did that for a couple of years only, and my dance kilt is tight now - MacNaughtan because the dance instructor wanted us in dress white. MacNaughtan is my brother's middle name. But I could stand to loose a little weight and get back into it. Just went over a three step sword dance last night and still remember the steps. But since I twisted my ankle a couple of weeks ago, it has not recovered enough to do a good job of the sword dance! The family, according to the last names in the ancestor chart, could have been part of several different clans. So several different tartans were under consideration for my dance kilt. But a lot of that is kind of fanciful stuff from the Victorian Celtic Revival movement in the 19th century anyway, isn't it?

MacNicol has been another middle name in my family forever, as we had an ancestor who wrote a book of poems back in 1880. He called it Poems and Songs - after Robert Burns' example, I think. The poems aren't half bad and he definitely admired Burns. But he was self published and entirely unknown as a poet, I think. The family comes from Ayrshire: Beith, Glasgow, Adrossan, Isle of Arran. Grandparents came to New York in 1913. Saved for five years so they would not have to go steerage and came over second class on the Lusitania. My grandmother's father was lost in the North Sea in 1911 and her brother died of what we now think was apendicitis. Grandmother's mother came too because she did not want to be left alone in Scotland when the rest of her family was leaving. Family history is interesting.

But my grandkids are card carrying Ojibwe tribal members and do pow wow dancing. Imie started taking Highland dance lessons, but the Native American dancing won out. She has done jingle dress and now is into fancy shawl dancing.

It is really fun to learn about everyone's ethnic experience. Especially in this country where many people have such mixed backgrounds!

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Rigil, I have been reading your stuff in fits and starts - not much time to myself lately. Well, been reading it for awhile but have the opposite of eiditic memory, so don't retain the story lines very well. Guess that means the stories are always new and fresh, LOL! Noticed you use green as malfunction or danger in Romulan ships. Very good! Got that from TGTMD or came up with it independently? Or is it in some other source too? Love that touch. Keep that avatar. Don't change it now, ya hear?

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:25 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Cool ... I came close to using "Daremo" as my online pseudonym many moons back. Who am I? Daremo. Cool
Hey, isn't that the name of the ship that the Romulans just attacked in Grendel?

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:06 pm

Linda wrote:Noticed you use green as malfunction or danger in Romulan ships. Very good! Got that from TGTMD or came up with it independently? Or is it in some other source too? Love that touch.

Actually, I first had the idea back when I was reading Clarity when Ludjin mentioned that a "green haze" of anger fogged out T'Pol's thinking processes. I simply hadn't had the time to implement it until recently, and then I saw they did the same thing in TGTMD.

Keep that avatar. Don't change it now, ya hear?

Heh.

JadziaKathryn wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:Cool ... I came close to using "Daremo" as my online pseudonym many moons back. Who am I? Daremo. Cool
Hey, isn't that the name of the ship that the Romulans just attacked in Grendel?

Yeah. I thought it appropriate for a smuggler...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “General Chat”