Speaking of aging...

Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Speaking of aging...

Postby Distracted » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:39 pm

"Not poisonous" is relative, I guess. Aquarius is VERY lucky that she threw up. She probably wouldn't be here now if that entire bottle of vodka had stayed down. No one's got enough alcohol tolerance to take in that much vodka all at once. Acute alcohol poisoning isn't anything to play around with.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:51 pm

Distracted wrote:"Not poisonous" is relative, I guess. Aquarius is VERY lucky that she threw up. She probably wouldn't be here now if that entire bottle of vodka had stayed down. No one's got enough alcohol tolerance to take in that much vodka all at once. Acute alcohol poisoning isn't anything to play around with.

Yeah. For some reason I never drank that much again. :lol: Learned my lesson.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:55 pm

Yes, of course. But they actually add something noxious to isopropyl alcohol in order to make it something people can't drink.

Once again, though, Aquarius did not say 2 liters ... I did.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:15 pm

Yeah, honestly I don't know how much was in there. It's not a size I see often, but it looked about the size of a gallon jug of milk. And I didn't drink the whole thing, just most of it.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:18 pm

Alelou wrote:Yes, of course. But they actually add something noxious to isopropyl alcohol in order to make it something people can't drink.

Once again, though, Aquarius did not say 2 liters ... I did.

When I was about 3 yrs old I wondered what "alcohol" tasted like so I took a sip of isoprophyl alcohol while my mom was sleeping. She completely freaked out and took me to the hospital where they pumped my stomach. It tasked icky (I actually remember the whole thing). I think t was an overreaction. I only took a tiny sip. :roll: Don't think I really drank any of it.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:32 pm

Back in the day, wasn't Kitty Dukakis (sp?) such a raging alcoholic that she was drinking rubbing alcohol and huffing hairspray?

ETA: just realized even knowing that name is indicative of aging lol!

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Aquarius wrote:Back in the day, wasn't Kitty Dukakis (sp?) such a raging alcoholic that she was drinking rubbing alcohol and huffing hairspray?

And drinking perfune :upchuck:

I watched an "Intervention" once where this poor woman was such a bad alcohlic she was drinking gallons of mouthwash. I guess that's even worse than alcolol because it will do even more damege to our organs than booze.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:51 pm

That's just messed up on so many levels!

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:34 pm

Alelou wrote:Hey -- Aquarius didn't say 2 liters -- I guessed that from the description.

And Kotik, how come your signature says 45% if it's 55%? You could be making even better interest, buddy...

I actually have a housecleaning guide that suggests cheap vodka for cleaning bathroom fixtures, since it's so high in alcohol and not poisonous, as isopropyl alcohol is.

"Normal" Vodka is between 45% and 50%. Then you have the "hard" variants which are up to 60% and then you have "Samogon" (lit. translation: self-burned), which is self-made Vodka from potatoes, sugar, whatever, which easily goes up to 65%. In fact we set it ablaze in the glas to burn off the Methanol before actually drinking it. I once made the mistake of drinking a whole bottle of that stuff and went into the Banya (russian sauna) afterwards. We hopped around in the garden stark-naked at -37° Centigrade. Needless to say I went home with the mother of all flu's. -37 without clothing - DON'T :lol:

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:
Aquarius wrote:Back in the day, wasn't Kitty Dukakis (sp?) such a raging alcoholic that she was drinking rubbing alcohol and huffing hairspray?

And drinking perfune :upchuck:

I watched an "Intervention" once where this poor woman was such a bad alcohlic she was drinking gallons of mouthwash. I guess that's even worse than alcolol because it will do even more damege to our organs than booze.

Drinking perfume or nail polish is (unfortunately) rather common among russian alcoholics (of the terminal variety). In russia you can buy "Prima Sprit", which is 96% alcohol. They drink it pure and die of dehydration as the insane concentration of alcoholc draws all water from their bodies. I've seen things over there, you wouldn't believe it :? I knew something was off, when I noticed that a russian six-pack of beer weighs 18kg, because beer is only sold in 3 litre bottles. :shock: A russian six-pack is 6 bloody gallons :shock:

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pegmumm » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:04 pm

I work in an inpatient crisis care psych facility. We get them once they are unsafe to be allowed outside a controlled environment.
What people do to their bodies is criminal...the people we see... oh my god.
From huffing Enddust to spray paint to injecting... oh you don't want to know.

Suffice to say the list is endless...and so is the damage it does to the human body.
It gives you the chills.
And you wonder why I twitch.
peg

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 pm

I work on a college campus. I twitch, too, and for much the same reasons. :roll:
Image sig by chrisis1033

Bether6074
Site Donor

Postby Bether6074 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:04 am

Vodka. Still hate the stuff. It still triggers me and it probably always will. I can smell it in the air from 3 rooms away. Yuck. Glad it's out of the house now.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:29 am

Bether6074 wrote:Vodka. Still hate the stuff. It still triggers me and it probably always will. I can smell it in the air from 3 rooms away. Yuck. Glad it's out of the house now.

I enjoy a good martini every now and then. Especially a pomegranite or berry-flavored one. Yummmmmmmmmmmmmm. :D

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:41 am

Getting back to what used to be fun about life...

One of the things I miss most about going out the way I used to was the whole ritual of getting ready. Every piece of clothing carefully selected, the right shoes or boots, doing the hair just right, accessories...for me it really heightened the anticipation of what kind of night I was going to have.

'Course, back then, lingerie was also outerwear, which made for a lot of fun possibilities. :mrgreen: I wasn't a skank...I just liked to look like one. :lol:

Return to “General Chat”