Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: I Know People Here...

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:58 am

Mitchell wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
blacknblue wrote:Actually, things are not nearly as bad as they once were. Consider - it is highly unlikely that any of us will face a Viking raid at any time in the near future.

You never know! One of these days my fellow Swedes may snap and re-discover our belligerent selves and decide to take up the ancient practice again! :twisted:

Id like to see you guys get past the US Navy, in yer lil Ol Wooden boats. :raspberry:

Well, nowadays we have stealth ships that will be very hard for you guys to track on radar. The Visby class! :raspberry:

Or we can send our submarines, like the HMS Gotland, that thus far has eluded your navy, and during exercies have even managaed to "sink" one of your aircraft carriers in the Pacific! :raspberry:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:02 am

Don't put much faith in the Navy Mitchell. How many drug runners make it through every year? How many Cubans and Haitians make it through every year? One Viking rowboat with a few long kitchen knives aboard wouldn't cause much ruckus. They could sneak in, grab a few sheep, and sneak back out before CNN even knew they were there.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:07 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Well, nowadays we have stealth ships that will be very hard for you guys to track on radar. The Visby class! :raspberry:

Interesting link. If I could only read it. (Babelfish is cheating). It's aggravating when I can ALMOST read parts of it. Some English words. Some that looks kinda German-ish. Some that ring faint bells of old English like Beowulf days. Irritating.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:18 am

^ Heh! Well, here are two links to some articles in English: This one and this one. The last one is from the shipyard company that makes them (Kockums). I actually know a guy who is one of the vice presidents (for public relations) of Kockums.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:25 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
blacknblue wrote:Actually, things are not nearly as bad as they once were. Consider - it is highly unlikely that any of us will face a Viking raid at any time in the near future.

You never know! One of these days my fellow Swedes may snap and re-discover our belligerent selves and decide to take up the ancient practice again! :twisted:

The Vikings' return :raspberry:

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:11 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Or we can send our submarines, like the HMS Gotland, that thus far has eluded your navy, and during exercies have even managaed to "sink" one of your aircraft carriers in the Pacific! :raspberry:
Ah, the Pacific, where Sweden has all kinds of natural interest. Nevertheless, we best keep you guys on our good side, hmm?

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:19 am

^ But of course! :lol:

Our sub was actually there at the invitation of the US Navy, just so they could learn a thing or two about the threat posed by smaller, diesel-electric attack submarines originally built for littoral defence, on your ocean-going fleet, mostly consisting of quite large vessels. And we managed to "sink" the U.S.S. Ronald Reagan! :twisted:

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:02 am

Proving once again that size don't matter, it's what you can do with it.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:43 pm

:vulcan: I wonder how that ship would fair against Virgina Class sub?
Things suppossed to be so quite while operating, that its quiter then a Los Angeles is while its sitting still.

blacknblue wrote:Proving once again that size don't matter, it's what you can do with it.

What a suprise. a Submarine managed to sink one of the 12 largest floating Military targets in the world, in a war game.

Aint the first time, or the last time it will happen. 8) Seriously, Id be dissapointed if they did miss that target.

Remember out of all the Carriers we had in WWII, only 2 made it through the whole War. The Saratoga, an The Enterprise. An both of them got torpedoed a couple times to.

But the Captain of the Sub that was suppossed to be guardin that Carrier group should get his butt kicked, back to Ensign. :?
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:26 pm

Mitchell wrote:
blacknblue wrote:Proving once again that size don't matter, it's what you can do with it.

What a suprise. a Submarine managed to sink one of the 12 largest floating Military targets in the world, in a war game.

Which is why you have Carrier Battle Groups to protect them, and none of those cruisers, destroyers, frigates or subs managed to track our little sub down! :twisted:

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:10 am

--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:20 pm

blacknblue wrote:Don't put much faith in the Navy Mitchell. How many drug runners make it through every year? How many Cubans and Haitians make it through every year? One Viking rowboat with a few long kitchen knives aboard wouldn't cause much ruckus. They could sneak in, grab a few sheep, and sneak back out before CNN even knew they were there.

That's the Coast Guard's fault - not the Navy. That's not the Navy's job.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:36 pm

so.... when you're all done being wrung out....what will you be? A navy guy? Or what? Something else?
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:15 pm

blacknblue wrote:****...
As if there isn't enough death. For crying out loud. These people need psychological help. But the trouble appears to be realizing that before they go on a shooting spree. :(

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:20 pm

columbine was 4 days b4 my wedding. I'm sure glad I was done high school. I'd be scared to go now.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Return to “General Chat”