Just what it says on the tin.

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Re: What are you...

Postby Misplaced » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:36 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I was thinking about watching Observer Effect too :guffaw: it's one of the ones I missed.

It's one of my favorites. Can't believe you haven't seen that one!
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:43 pm

I better not answer that one, I'll get in trouble. Suffice it to say now that there's no Burn Notice til december I have free time after Bones on thursday nights.

What am I doing DL free trials of games from Bigfishgames.com! I'm horribly addicted. :twisted:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:11 pm

It looks like I wil be doing a lot of stuff this fall.

Since my son is now in school all day (1st grade) I decided to join a health club. For the last 6 years I've been working out at home on an elliptical machine. I went with a friend to a "Muscle Max" Class today and I think I am going to die! Every muscle in my body hurts. I guess my at home workouts weren't so great after all. :? I plan to go to "Cardio sculpt" tomorrow morning if I can walk.

Monday nights once a month Cub Scouts, Tuesday & Thursday nights and some Saturday mornings I have my martial arts class, volunteering at the USO once or twice a month and I am trying to get more work as an extra when I can. After 6 years of not working and being rather lonely and bored at home, life has gotten a little busy all of a sudden! :wtf:

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:17 pm

My advice is not to do weight training on the same set of muscles two days in a row. Give your muscles a day to recover. After that, you may want to lighten up on the weight. If you're incapacitated you likely went too heavy to start.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Misplaced wrote:Trying to decide if I'm going to watch "Observer Effect" or the second episode of the first season of DS9. (I'm watching the series for the first time and am determined to plow through all 7 seasons before I judge the show. All I can say is ENT had a better premiere... and I don't much care for ENT's premiere -- though I like it more now than the first time I saw it. LOL)

Cool! 8) I went through DS9 for the first time myself not too long ago. You might be interested in the reviews I did. Start here.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:40 pm

Distracted wrote:My advice is not to do weight training on the same set of muscles two days in a row. Give your muscles a day to recover. After that, you may want to lighten up on the weight. If you're incapacitated you likely went too heavy to start.

Oh, I definately went too heavy on the weights today. I waaaay overestimated myself. My friend says Cardio sculpt is a much easier class that does target different muscle groups so I should be okay. A little ibuprophen and a lot of tiger balm for me this evening. My husband is out of town tonight so I can rub the stinky stuff on liberally. :lol:

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:22 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:
Distracted wrote:My advice is not to do weight training on the same set of muscles two days in a row. Give your muscles a day to recover. After that, you may want to lighten up on the weight. If you're incapacitated you likely went too heavy to start.

Oh, I definately went too heavy on the weights today. I waaaay overestimated myself. My friend says Cardio sculpt is a much easier class that does target different muscle groups so I should be okay. A little ibuprophen and a lot of tiger balm for me this evening. My husband is out of town tonight so I can rub the stinky stuff on liberally. :lol:

Some soreness is normal - you just have to make a judgment call on whether it's "soreness" or "pain". My lifting coach always used to say soreness is good, pain is bad, lol. Simplistic approach perhaps lol

But yes, I do echo D in principle. In my experience the hardest part about maintaining a workout regime is not just the act of getting off the couch to go - it's the fact that people tend to push really hard at first and they get a disproportionate perspective on how much soreness is "normal" and go "wow, this sucks, I can't put up with this indefinitely", when in fact they probably overdid it and hence are experiencing an abnormally high level of soreness. Then again, I always felt like I really pushed when, after 3 or 4 months of training, I'd push really really hard and feel like a walking muscle spasm the next day :D

I found a new gym to join today. It's awesome, so much nicer than my old one and 3 times the size. I think I'm gonna start going tomorrow. It's about 1.25 m down the road so I think I'm gonna run down there, lift and then run back... I did the treadmill running thing for awhile at my old gym, but it's so hard to run distance (for me) because you have no sense of destination, no purpose. It's even harder than running on a cyclical track where you have to log 12 laps for a mile. I ran 2 and a half miles the other day without even thinking I was up to 2, because I was going somewhere, it was so much easier to handle psychologically.

Now, what's REALLY GOOD for you - really really tough step up cardio - is jump on the treadmill and do something... scaled to your level of fitness, whether it's a 2 minute jog, a 2 minute sprint, a 5 minute walk, whatever - and then jump off and do something else, a different muscle group (again scaled for your fitness level). I found that totally threw me out of my comfort zone, even after months of workout. I'd run a sprint, go do a set of pullups, do a sprint, go do a set of bench, go run a sprint, go do a set of crunches (this is no rest in between mind you), and I could just feel my heart pounding away at what I guessed was my max HR (180-200). Gotta be careful, though. The recommendations are generally that you don't push above 80% max HR. I'm usually at 100% tho and I haven't keeled over yet :)
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:45 pm

Elessar wrote: [Some soreness is normal - you just have to make a judgment call on whether it's "soreness" or "pain". My lifting coach always used to say soreness is good, pain is bad, lol. Simplistic approach perhaps lol
Now, what's REALLY GOOD for you - really really tough step up cardio - is jump on the treadmill and do something... scaled to your level of fitness, whether it's a 2 minute jog, a 2 minute sprint, a 5 minute walk, whatever - and then jump off and do something else, a different muscle group (again scaled for your fitness level). I found that totally threw me out of my comfort zone, even after months of workout. I'd run a sprint, go do a set of pullups, do a sprint, go do a set of bench, go run a sprint, go do a set of crunches (this is no rest in between mind you), and I could just feel my heart pounding away at what I guessed was my max HR (180-200). Gotta be careful, though. The recommendations are generally that you don't push above 80% max HR. I'm usually at 100% tho and I haven't keeled over yet :)

No pain (at least from my new work out), just soreness. When I joined I had a session with a personal trainer to asses my fitness level and get some recommendations. He suggested working you much like you did. Good stuff.

The thing is that I have been working out regularly, ie 4 -5 times a week for the past 6 years, just doing too much of the same thing. I got in a rut. And that's a bad thing.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:05 am

Aikiweezie wrote:
Elessar wrote: [Some soreness is normal - you just have to make a judgment call on whether it's "soreness" or "pain". My lifting coach always used to say soreness is good, pain is bad, lol. Simplistic approach perhaps lol

No pain (at least from my new work out), just soreness. When I joined I had a session with a personal trainer to asses my fitness level and get some recommendations. He suggested working you much like you did. Good stuff.

The thing is that I have been working out regularly, ie 4 -5 times a week for the past 6 years, just doing too much of the same thing. I got in a rut. And that's a bad thing.

Wow, 6 years, that's a hell of a rut! Yeah I know the feeling, just not over that span of time. Step up workouts like that helped me mix it up - and u know I've heard martial arts can do that. Yoga, Pilates, Zumba, that kind of thing...

OH! Check out www.crossfit.com. Toughest workout ever - just has some funky gym requirements for some workouts.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:16 am

I just started cross fit. It is insane... an amazing workout, but positivly insane.

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:26 am

Elessar wrote:I found a new gym to join today. It's awesome, so much nicer than my old one and 3 times the size. I think I'm gonna start going tomorrow. It's about 1.25 m down the road so I think I'm gonna run down there, lift and then run back... I did the treadmill running thing for awhile at my old gym, but it's so hard to run distance (for me) because you have no sense of destination, no purpose. It's even harder than running on a cyclical track where you have to log 12 laps for a mile. I ran 2 and a half miles the other day without even thinking I was up to 2, because I was going somewhere, it was so much easier to handle psychologically.

This really makes me miss working out with a personal trainer. Unfortunately the budget does not allow for it or the gym right now so I'm trying to re-establish a good workout routine in my home gym. I've got the basics - a great mat (I went online and bought the same one that the gym had) free weights, bench, elliptical, bosu, weighted ball, resistance bands all in a dedicated room. This sounds like a great routine; I'll give it a try.

There's a lot of stuff advice out there on how to really work on your abs. Got any suggestions for really working out/sculpting your arms?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:43 am

What am I doing, eating dinner at 11:42PM. Why? It just worked out that way. Sometimes I don't get hungry until late.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Pitseleh
Commander
Commander

Postby Pitseleh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:08 am

...doing? Removing dried up silicone off my fingers... Since I'm back in school, scale models are the order of the day, and for some reason, silicone seems to be working better than super glue on balsa wood tonight.
Image for avatar found in Enterprise Oddities; created by ivymae

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:28 pm

...doing? Trying to keep toddlers from destroying the house. Supposedly I'm going to miss these days. :doubt:
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:34 pm

How many?

Fics

Return to “General Chat”